StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any soft cordura saddlebags that can take the heat from the exhaust pipes? I prefer soft bags and do not wish to install spacers to give the bags room between the pipes. As they will look like crap when the bags are off.
THANKS!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've ridden mine with a friend's soft bags, brand name I can't remember right now. They had no problem handling the heat sitting right against the muffler heat shields. It was about a 3 hour non-stop ride. You can put your bare hand on those heat shields immediately after a ride, so I don't think they ever get hot enough to damage soft bags. You might want to be careful about carrying anything inside of them that could be damaged by small amounts of heat though.

Bob

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob said:
You might want to be careful about carrying anything inside of them that could be damaged by small amounts of heat though.

Bob
Yeah. Like fireworks. :shock:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a pair of TourMaster bags that I ran on one long trip, they had no problems. The water bottle in one of them got warm after 4 or 5 hours, but it was far from hot. I'l lsell the bags to anybody who wants them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
RDJEff said:
I have a pair of TourMaster bags that I ran on one long trip, they had no problems. The water bottle in one of them got warm after 4 or 5 hours, but it was far from hot. I'l lsell the bags to anybody who wants them.

which ones you got? got any pics?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took some pics, but haven't figured out how to post them on this site. I can e-mail them if you are interested.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been riding with a set of tourmaster cortech sport saddlebags and they seem to take the head just fine. Here in Las Vegas it's been above 100 degrees for a month; no sign of head damage from pipes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wanted to add to this thread since I recommended earlier that soft bags would not suffer from the heat. After having had some more experience on a couple of long trip, I just wanted to add that the bags are fine, but they scratched the hell out of those trick-looking brushed heat guards on my pipes. I read somewhere else that this had happened to someone who ended up having to paint the heat guards black. I'll probably do the same.

Bob

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, Bobs saying, us folks that want soft bags should put a protective covering over the "exhaust shielding" to prevent it from being scratched?

Thanks for the tip Bob. 8)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeh, that's what I'm saying. I should add my soft saddlebags are a real old pair that a buddy gave me when he got out of biking. I don't even know what kind they are, although I suppose I could go look. I know it's a brand I've never heard of before. In any case, it's possible that the newer bags have softer backs that wouldn't scratch. Since at least one other person has had the same problem though, you'd be taking a risk.

My first trip with the bags was a relatively short one. Up to a nearby lake about 3 hours away. It wasn't until I started putting in longer 6-8 hour days in the saddle that the scratches started appearing. At first I thought it was just the black backing on the bags rubbing off on the bike and that I'd be able to clean the stuff off. Only later did I realize it was scratches in the metal. The scratches end up looking sort of black, like the bags, for some reason, so they are quite noticeable.

Bob

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pauljo said:
Bob said:
You might want to be careful about carrying anything inside of them that could be damaged by small amounts of heat though.

Bob
Yeah. Like fireworks. :shock:
My friend was packing a bunch of stuff in a duffle bag, which hung down off both sides almost as far as the swing arm. After riding about a half hour he noticed a burning smell. He pulled over saw that the duffle bag was smoldering. He managed to drag it off the bike and thats when the fireworks started. The boxes of .22 ammo started to fire off! :shock: Luckily neither he or his bike got shot. :oops:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just ordered the Nelson Rigg sphere saddlebags today. I went to a store and looked at many different brands. Some have a nice soft backing to them while others dont- yet claim in their adds to have a non scratching backing. Another thing I noticed is the different types of zippers on the bags. Some are a pain in the ass to open with narrow zippers and some have thick quality zippers that are nice and durable. I'm glad I went to look at them first before buying. I suggest doing the same!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I had and used a set of Nelson Rigg sphere saddlebags on my DL650.....No problems from the heat even after a full day of riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts