StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a simple test to see if the cooling fans are working correctly? I couldn't find anything in the service manual. At what point should the fan(s) come on.

Reason I asked is last week it was warm here around 85f when I came off highway after a 45 mile run at 70+ mph I saw my temp gauge go up to 4 bars on city streets. Normally it runs 2 maybe 3 bars. At the same time I notice my voltage display drop down to about 12.5 volts, it normally runs around 14.3v unless I have my high beam and grip heaters on then it drops to around 13.5v.

When the temp went up and voltage dropped I didn't notice any fan noises.

My first thought was that maybe the stator magnets had shifted but when I started the bike the next morning all was normal.

:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I have a 650 which normally runs at 3 or 4 bars. If you are at all concerned that the fan is not working, take a highway trip and just let the bike idle instead of stopping the motor. Fans mostly only come on at the lights or during stop/start riding.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Have you tried unplugging the fan switch? The switch is on the radiator and activated by the water temp. Short out the switch to activate the fan.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
First-gen Vees normally run two bars, three if things are getting extra-steamy. The fan should kick in before you see four. For reasons unknown, Wees get one more bar.

Anyhoo, yep, you should be able to unplug the temperature switch and jumper the terminals inside the connector to get the fan to come on.

One thing that can happen (or at least it happened to me) is that the plastic shroud around the fan can shift or warp and keep the fan blades from turning. So with the bike off, reach in there with a finger and make sure the fan can turn freely.

And of course check the fan fuse. If the fan couldn't turn, it could pop the fuse.

I've also seen bad temperature switches on other bikes. There's a spec in the shop manual for the temperature at which the switch should close.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The fan is located in a low visibility area. You could use some high visibility paint on one of the fins / blades, to help see when the fan is turning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts