StromTrooper banner

Coolent leak, Need some help

1323 Views 10 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  GT_Hawk
coolant leak, Need some help

The little hose where it clamps on was leaking coolant yesterday. Is this some what normal or is this odd. (2009 wee with little less then 40,000 km).

the bigger thing for me is I need the part number for that hose. It looks like its a pre bent hose so a straight hose may not work well. Easier to talk to suzuki with a part number then try and explain what i need

also I am assuming the part the hose is going to is the thermostat but can someone confirm this ???

Any tips for changing this hose, Ie can I get away without draining the entire system ????

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
The first thing I would try is to put a better hose clamp there instead of that spring loaded one. I have an oil leak at a breather hose the just uses a wire ring instead of a decent clamp.

38,702 Posts
You don't want a wire ring.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well this sucks after valve check and such ran bike for 30 min last night and it looked like the leak was done (hose clamp used to replace the spring clamp). Unfortunetlay took a look 30 min ago and I can see a SMALL amount of coolant atthe seam of the hose to the thermastat housing. Not even a drip but its there. So looks like I got to try and fine a replacment hose dam it. unless others have another idea

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
just replaced the line with a generic one. Suzuki here could not even tell me a price or availablity for the stock hose so generic it is. tie wrap sed to keep the bend in it so it don't touch engine block lol. But running bike now to see if it works.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well checked again this morning and again see a small amount of coolant. but if you look at the picture above I did notice there was some wetness from the larger hose on the right down to the little hose (which has been replaced now). So tightened up hose clamp this morning on the large hose. If that don't do it I am afraid I may be into a new thermostat housing.

Has anyone seen the thermostat housing fail before.

38,702 Posts
Has anyone seen the thermostat housing fail before.
No. I highly doubt it is a problem. Cracks or porosity in castings are always a possibility. They almost always show up right away though.

· Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. I highly doubt it is a problem. Cracks or porosity in castings are always a possibility. They almost always show up right away though.
well the bike almost at 40,000km so it did not happen right away. hoping the hose clamp tightening on the larger hose works. and if that's the leak I spent days putting new clamp on, testing, adding new hose and such when its the wrong hose DOH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.