StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this for coolant change because of the dark color, looks purple, last coolant was yellow making seeing the level in the reservoir almost impossible

It's ethylene glycol, silicate and borate free, used for all metals.

On the label it states it's "phosphated hybrid organic acid technology"

1) just marketing bull**** right??

2) No need to empty gas tank as long as the ignition is not on. Just little gas as possible for the weight. Is that correct

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here is a posting I made earlier on th subject of engine coolant/s:

Color of the antifreeze AKA glycol is no indication of what it is (propylene or ethylene base) or the concentration. You can use any silica free (it will state this on the label) antifreeze you want. The only thing you can't do is mix propylene and ethylene glycol's together. Since you are doing a 100% change I would suggest good old Prestone 50/50 premix. Cheap, reliable and silca free.

Don't get caught up in the buzz words like "Zerex Asian" or Motorcycle" and pay 2 or 3 times as much for the same thing minus the buzz words. Look up the MSDS/SDS and you will see there is no difference.

Glycol comes in 2 bases:

Propylene = vegetable oil bases and environmentally friendly. You actually eat many food products containing trace amounts of propylene glycol.

Ethylene = Alcohol based and poisonous to humans and animals

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
No need to empty the gas tank. Just, as a precaution, make up a short piece of PVC hose that you melt shut at one end to cover the fuel pump outlet. It should normally not leak out fuel but mine does and this limits the mess to a small quantity when you remove the cap when re-connecting the fuel line in the end.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is an ethylene glycol silicate free and a dark color making it easy to see the level in the overflow tank. 50/50 mix so nothing to add and it's cheap enough. $12 for a gallon, so $6 a coolant change.

I will flush with distilled water since it's been awhile, thanks on the warning not to mix types

I Find that the warnings not to drink it kinda of funny, I mean if you consider drinking coolant or brake fluid,have at it. One way to dispose of the waste and thin the herd at the same time

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh yeah one more question, I saw on canyon chasers video to run distilled water with some white vinegar, helps removed rust and clean gunk w/o damaging seals. Any thoughts on that?

And with the distilled water with or without diluted vinegar, do you run the engine when flushing or gravity rinse will do?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts