StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '17 V-Strom up to the mountains this weekend so the Boss could get some off-road experience with her Versys-X-300.
While we were taking it slow and easy on the gravel roads (5-15mph) my cooling fan came on a few times but the coolant temp gauge only had 3 bars showing. I was expecting the temp to go up crawling around for 15 miles and kept checking on gauge but it always had just 3 bar showing and didn't change when fan was running. Has anyone had this happen before? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I would say that's normal,.

The temperature was high enough to bring on the fan and the fan worked well so the temperature did not climb any higher.

The 3 bars is set by the thermostat not by the fan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the gauge is there to let you know if the thermostat goes bad then. I didn't stop riding, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem that needed attention. Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
So the gauge is there to let you know if the thermostat goes bad then. I didn't stop riding, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem that needed attention. Thanks!
Thermostat is there to let you know if the engine is overheating. There are more causes for this than simply a malfunctioning 'stat.

Severe overheating can warp the heads, lead to deterioration of the oil and failure to lubricate and other expensive engine damage.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The temperature warning is just that. It gives you a warning in case there is a malfunction (like loss of coolant, radiator fan not working, coolant temperature sensor defect … ) in the cooling system. No different than any car.

As long as it stays "in the middle" all is well.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The thermostat is there the bring the motor temperature up as quick as possible then maintain that temperature.

The fan is to bring the temperature back down if it gets high.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The thermostat is there the bring the motor temperature up as quick as possible then maintain that temperature.

The fan is to bring the temperature back down if it gets high.
As long as the red warning light doesn't come on, your'e good to go. If there is a problem, either the oil or temp symbol will come on along with the red light.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts