StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! New bike with 600 miles gulping coolant, bars steady at 2 to 3 but spiked the other day to 4 while riding mellow. I let it cool down and it hasn't re-occurred. No leakage issues, the bike was laid over before I bought it with cosmetic damage on the right. At what point should that fan kick on and could that be the root cause of my coolant loss ? I'm leaving for Alaska next week so any ideas are appreciated. Could someone run me thru the coolant flushing for this bike as far as location of drains, etc. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
241 Posts
Many 1000 owners report coolant loss at the water pump hose connection. Some just tightened all the clamps while others cleaned up the paint on the waterpump inlet.

Make sure your fan actually spins. Some have a plastic burr that prevents the fan from turning.

My 1000 sees 4 bars and no fan, so I don't know when it cycles.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Mine had a bad thermostat housing. I had it replaced just before the warranty ran out but I never lost much coolant, it was just an ugly drip.

When I got the bike back from the dealer, the resevoir was all but empty. I topped it off and have had no issues.

My fan comes on when the gauge reaches three bars and goes off when it reaches two. I've never seen four bars. And that includes a one hour-ten mile journey through Denver stop and go traffic in July with temps in the 90s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just my two cents. At normal operating temp. my bike shows four bars and no fan. I think the guages are just junk. Mine is going back to the dealer because the fuel guage doesn't work. Didn't work from the get-go. A nice aftermaket setup would be the cats arse. Pink.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coolant

Follow up: Fan is spinning at 3 bars after steep gravel climb so thats working, I disconnected the battery for an hour to reboot the computer and I'm going to flush the coolant system and put in a new thermostat and some cyclelogic engine ice. Its just puzzling me that I can lose 10oz of coolant without any visible leaks, I had 56k on my last strom and I could smell the coolant when it leaked. This stuff is being swallowed into the green coolant hole from hell. (The oil is perfect by the way)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Jim Lane said:
Help! New bike with 600 miles gulping coolant, bars steady at 2 to 3 but spiked the other day to 4 while riding mellow. I let it cool down and it hasn't re-occurred. No leakage issues, the bike was laid over before I bought it with cosmetic damage on the right. At what point should that fan kick on and could that be the root cause of my coolant loss ? I'm leaving for Alaska next week so any ideas are appreciated. Could someone run me thru the coolant flushing for this bike as far as location of drains, etc. Thanks, Jim

Jim - update your profile so we know which Strom you have. Though both good bikes, the DL1k and WeeStrom are different bikes with different owner's manuals.

Stromette

1 - 6 of 6 Posts