StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what coolant do you guys use for 650?

Manual states "Use an anti-freeze/engine coolant compatible with an aluminum radiator, mixed with distilled water only" and then "Suzuki recommends the use of SUZUKI COOLANT anti-freeze/engine coolant "

I looked but couldn't find Suzuki Coolant.

Does any "local store" engine coolant will work in mixture of 50:50 ?

Correct measurements for 650:

250ml is actually 0.264 US quarts 0.220 Imp quarts
1650ml is actually 1.74 US quarts 1.45 Imp quarts

So almost 2 us qts.

If i understand this correctly, that will be a 1 qts of coolant mixed with 1 qts of water, right ? and then distributed accordingly.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You don't need Suzuki specific coolant... And If you get pre-mix, you don't need to add distilled water... I just use off the shelf engine coolant in a 50/50 pre-mixed form... I have never mixed coolant and distilled water in years...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
MOst motorcycle shops sell pre mix. I think I've been using a honda mix. Be sure to burp the system accordingly after the change.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Our strom engines seem to be very tolerant of just about any antifreeze. My choice would be any motorcycle specific antifreeze, which contains corrosion inhibitors good for 2 years, or Zerex Asian Vehicle antifreeze good for 5 years, or any Japanese auto antifreeze (Honda, Toyota, etc) with the recommended change interval on the label. Peak Global antifreeze seems to be another highly regarded AF. Yes, about 2 quarts, so if you buy a gallon of premixed stuff, you'll have half a jug to share with a riding buddy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for quick reply. Will stop by at my local store to look what is available.

Trapperdog: I do have service manual that i plan to follow:) and will do some more research here too (not really sure what you mean by burp the system after the flush yet:)...
I will perform flush while checking the valves and plugs replacement.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks guys for quick reply. Will stop by at my local store to look what is available.

Trapperdog: I do have service manual that i plan to follow:) and will do some more research here too (not really sure what you mean by burp the system after the flush yet:)...
I will perform flush while checking the valves and plugs replacement.
After you drain the old cooland and pour in the new coolant, you will have to do what is called "burping the system" procedure. There will most likely be air trapped in the system after the coolant change... All you do is start the bike let it run for a few mins, then shut it off... Wait to make sure everything cools then open the rad cap... you will here some sucking or air escaping sounds... Add more coolant if the level is down... check you reserve coolant level as well... Repeat this process a few times to ensure all the air is out of the system...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome:) Thanks

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Squish and move the lower radiator hose/tap the waterpump housing with a rubber mallet to release air. Be carefull the radiator is not completely full as it may overflow durring hose movement.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Just out of curiosity how often do you change the anti-freeze i your bikes?
When the corrosion inhibitors become depleted. An easy way to check is with a digital voltmeter. On the stroms, you need the side panel removed so you can get to the radiator cap. Engine off and cold, remove the cap and put one voltmeter probe into the cool coolant not touching metal. Put the other probe on the battery negative post. If you read 0.3 volts DC or less, the corrosion inhibitors are still working. If you see more than 0.3 VDC, the metal parts of the system have become a galvanic cell generating electricity and eating away metal. This works for cars as well. Or, follow the label on the coolant, usually 5 years for long-life coolant and 2 years otherwise.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When the corrosion inhibitors become depleted. An easy way to check is with a digital voltmeter. On the stroms, you need the side panel removed so you can get to the radiator cap. Engine off and cold, remove the cap and put one voltmeter probe into the cool coolant not touching metal. Put the other probe on the battery negative post. If you read 0.3 volts DC or less, the corrosion inhibitors are still working. If you see more than 0.3 VDC, the metal parts of the system have become a galvanic cell generating electricity and eating away metal. This works for cars as well. Or, follow the label on the coolant, usually 5 years for long-life coolant and 2 years otherwise.
Wow, thank you, I had never heard of the voltmeter check.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,
I checked in my local store and they do not have coolant in stock (waiting for delivery). Can i use one from Autozone/Wallyworld ?

I found Prestone 50/50 gallon Antifreeze coolant.
thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts