StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody please tell me that I do not have to pull the gas tank to top up the antifreeze overflow bottle on my new to me '13 DL650. I'm finishing up my list of routine maint. items and will test ride the bike tomorrow. Today I noticed the fluid was a bit low (I like to set it about 1/4" below the top mark on the bottle) and a. realized it is going to be a chore, b.I cannot see the low and high fluid level marks.

Are these Suzuki engineers for real? Why didn't they put the throttle bodies on top of the bottle to make this a REAL challenge? Oops, now that I suggested this they might do it for the 2020 model year.

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
With respect, you are being a little too anal about this. If your fluid level is between the upper and lower limits, leave it alone.
I have never needed to top up my radiator overflow bottle.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
+1

But Ratchet, you are correct. On my V2 you have to do major surgery to get to the reservoir. But I have never touched it other then changing the fluid and that coincides with doing the valve check, means the bike is stripped down already.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think I saw a post in a thread from Graywolf where he used a syringe or something like that to backfired coolant 8nto the tank through an overflow hose. Maybe at the radiator cap? I could be wrong, but I think I saw something like that. Might be worth a few minutes with Dr. Google.

Having done it a few times now, it only takes me 15 or 20 minutes to pull the tank, btw. It's not that difficult. Although, I agree, it seems kind of dumb to have to do that to add coolant.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's not necessary to remove the tank to access the coolant reservoir, but you will need to raise the rear end of the tank. It's a bit of a chore, but that's the result of having a lot of technology packed into a relatively small area. The vstrom is certianly not the only vehicle, (bike or car), to suffer from this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts