StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I viewed you tube under coolant change on a motorcycle. Pretty simple to do on my dl 08. Just followed the video there really. I used a very long/skinny funnel to re fill the bottle/radiator. Had to tap the side cover area and rock the bike a little to make sure I got the air out. Use a rubber mallet for this with a cloth over the side cover to not mark the surface. Mix your coolant before or use pre mixed. You warm up the bike a little, rock it, stop it. Did that 8 times and all bubbles left the system. It's been at two, and occasionally 3 bars in hard traffic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Be sure to "burp" the air out of the radiator hose going to the water pump. This is done by squeezing the hose repeatedly until it fills up with fluid.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
These engines seem to be tolerant of just about any antifreeze. my preference is for any motorcycle specific antifreeze, or Zerex Asian Engine antifreeze, or any Japanese car antifreeze...Honda, Toyoya, etc. The Zerex and some of the car products have corrosion inhibitors good for five years. most of the motorcycle juice is good for two years.

draining the coolant reservoir can be a bit of work. that is one of the jobs to cluster with others that need the gas tank removed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
that is one of the jobs to cluster with others that need the gas tank removed.
Yes! Do this when you are changing spark plugs, checking your valve clearance, and changing your air filter. Checking valve clearance will require you to drain the coolant and remove the radiator anyway!

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Yes! Do this when you are changing spark plugs, checking your valve clearance, and changing your air filter. Checking valve clearance will require you to drain the coolant and remove the radiator anyway!
Valves can be checked without removing the radiator. I would not want to change shims though. I bought Suzuki fluid. Note the manual fill amount in quarts is wrong. You just need one quart. A shop will look it up and sell you two. I have an extra for next time.

The new stuff is blue. An '09 will take either.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts