StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can smell coolant but haven't been able to spot a leak yet . I've read posts about riders with small coolant leaks, can someone point out where the culprit might be before I reinvent the wheel. Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check all of the hose clamps on the water lines. They tend to vibrate loose, and coolant will seep out.

I have heard of a few folks having water pump leaks as well, but have not had that problem myself.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could smell the antifreeze as well. After I checked, I found 2 places, 1 on the rightside where the hose comes from the radiator to the engine, the other on the left side above the throttle adjustment, you'll see a hose in there. After tighening both hose clamps it stopped.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine had the same leaks. Tightened all the clamps, checked everything over, still leaking. Went to the dealer, and they put in some of those "stop leak" pellets. I questioned the wisdom of that, but they claimed Suzuki recommends it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there's also a little seep hole by the water pump on the right side of the bike that leaks for the first few thousand miles of break-in. Other Vstromers have confirmed that this comes and goes after break-in. Mine did also...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is doing this too. I can smell it, even see residue, but cannot find where it is coming from. Resivior level keeps going down. Very annoying. It didn't do it before I had the clutch replaced, now it does. The dealer strapped it to the dyno and ran it for quite a while, but could not find any leaks either. D'OH! If it isn't one thing, it's another..

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found it

Thanks for the input, I finally got off my duff and located the leak. It helped that a big old green drop was getting ready to launch from the seal above the motor.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coolant smell/leak,(I had it @ 7K miles : 2002 Frankenstrom)

Look on the LH side of the bike , between the cylinders, you'll see there is the theromstat housing and hoses, check the 10mm bolts on the housing and hose clamps STONE COLD, NOT when the bike is hot , and just SNUG everything up, using ONLY a 1/4 " drive tools/socket , do N O T overtighten them ( especially the bolts) . then watch it for a residual/leak. :roll:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just noticed a leak on my 2003 as well. Right between the cylinders next to the idle adjustment. Will tighten it up and if that doesn't fix it, it's off to the dealer for a fix. Thanks to everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts