StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some opinions!

Today I noticed a coolant leak on my Wee!

The thing is that it is not leaking through the main coolant hoses but from the thin coolant overflow hose that is located on the low right side of the bike!Right below the rear break pedal!!!

Did anyone have the same problem?

Is it normal for some amount of coolant to leak through the overflow hose sometimes?

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
That overflow hose should lead to a plastic bottle. How full is it? As the coolant get's hot, the bottle will "fill up". Obviously, if it was too full to begin with, it might overflow out of the hose.

Do you have any additional information - Was there work done recently on the bike?

I hate to mention this but, Does the bike run hot or overheating - Could be signs of a head gasket leak and pushing the fluid out of the overflow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That overflow hose should lead to a plastic bottle. How full is it? As the coolant get's hot, the bottle will "fill up". Obviously, if it was too full to begin with, it might overflow out of the hose.

Do you have any additional information - Was there work done recently on the bike?

I hate to mention this but, Does the bike run hot or overheating - Could be signs of a head gasket leak and pushing the fluid out of the overflow.
Not the hose that leads to the overflow bottle!
I mean the one that ends on the lowest part of the bike!

Look at the thumbnail I uploaded.

The bike does not overheat and has never done so in the past!

Any ideas what's causing coolant to leak out of this hose?

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,101 Posts
That's probably the hose from the water pump. It means the water pump seal is leaking and the pump needs to be rebuilt. Is it #19 in the picture?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Ask your dealer?

If he wanted that kind of advice, he'd have already been there . . .

...just like on any vehicle with a "sealed loop" or "recovery" coolant system your radiator cap has two seals, when the temperature of your coolant increases the pressure in your cooling system to the point that the pressure relief of your cap -- that's the part with the spring and the smaller of the two rubber seals or gaskets -- let's some by through the attached hose to the overflow bottle.
As the system cools down the liquid coolant contracts and sucks the coolant from your overflow bottle back to the sealed portion of your cooling system.

If more coolant escapes to your overflow than it can handle, it will leak, in this case through the hose and to the ground, floor, etc.

Check your manual and your overflow bottle and ensure that the correct amount of coolant is present in the bottle. Your radiator should also be filled "to the brim" when cold.

If you take a close look at your overflow bottle you can see that if your bike was leaned over far enough or took a shock sufficient to make the coolant splash, some could dribble out that overflow hose.

How much has leaked out?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Good point greywolf!

There are two hoses in the photo--one of them is likely the overflow hose and the other as greywolf points out leads to the 'pump.

Trace the leaking hose back to the source -- for the beginning of the answer to your issue . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If he wanted that kind of advice, he'd have already been there . . .

...just like on any vehicle with a "sealed loop" or "recovery" coolant system your radiator cap has two seals, when the temperature of your coolant increases the pressure in your cooling system to the point that the pressure relief of your cap -- that's the part with the spring and the smaller of the two rubber seals or gaskets -- let's some by through the attached hose to the overflow bottle.
As the system cools down the liquid coolant contracts and sucks the coolant from your overflow bottle back to the sealed portion of your cooling system.

If more coolant escapes to your overflow than it can handle, it will leak, in this case through the hose and to the ground, floor, etc.

Check your manual and your overflow bottle and ensure that the correct amount of coolant is present in the bottle. Your radiator should also be filled "to the brim" when cold.

If you take a close look at your overflow bottle you can see that if your bike was leaned over far enough or took a shock sufficient to make the coolant splash, some could dribble out that overflow hose.

How much has leaked out?
The amount of coolant that leaked is very limited!

5-6 drops in 6 hours!

Today I looked for a leak and found no coolant on the floor!
That is a good thing of course!

@greywolf

There is nothing wrong with the water pump!
And to say things right,any amount of liquid leaking from the overflow hoses means that it is in excess thus no longer needed,therefore it is expeled from the motorcycles subsystems!
Sometimes air is trapped in the coolant overflow bottle and when it is expeled via the overflow hose,a little bit of coolant escapes along with it.
That is what the dealer told me and also told me not to worry!

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

·
38,101 Posts
Did you check which hose the coolant is coming from? Earlier you said

"Not the hose that leads to the overflow bottle!"

There should be zero coolant coming out unless the plastic tank is overly full or the bike was on its side. It is not normal for any coolant to be coming from the hose. As far as you saying,

"And to say things right,any amount of liquid leaking from the overflow hoses means that it is in excess thus no longer needed,therefore it is expelled from the motorcycles subsystems!"

That is not the case. The plastic expansion tank is there to accept the excess coolant from the radiator when it warms up and expands. Then it returns to the radiator when it cools and contracts. An acceptable amount of coolant leaving the bike is zero. The usual cause of a small coolant leak is a loose hose clamp. See if the outside of the hose is wet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
do different coolants brands matter, and how much

I just checked my valves and drained the radiator, so I would have easer access. The coolant I saved is about 1 1/2 years old. I have a new gallon of Prestone antifreeze/coolant. should I put in the new, is the prestone ok, how much should I put in.

·
38,101 Posts
The coolant needs to be silicate free and marked safe for aluminum engines. The manual says 4.01 US quarts. If it isn't pre mixed, mix it 50/50 with distilled water only. Fill the radiator completely full. Then rock the bike to help release any trapped air. Bring the level to the top of the radiator again and add to the full line on the expansion tank. Run the bike for a minute and rock it again. Keep the refilling, rocking, running and riding for short trips until all the air is purged, the radiator is full and the level in the expansion tank is near the full mark. Do not take off the radiator cap if the coolant is hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
cooliant

Boy, that was a perfect answer. Really good information. In every thing we do with these bike there is another chapter to be learned. When putting the rediator back on I ended up with one small black plug (2 wire) that didn't have any thing to connect to it. So tomorrow I am going back in and see if I missed a small plug. I don't remember it when broke it down , but I a can't thing they would toss in a extra plug. Thanks

·
38,101 Posts
When putting the rediator back on I ended up with one small black plug (2 wire) that didn't have any thing to connect to it.
If the wires are black/white and orange/green, that is the plug for OEM heated grips. If you do not have heated grips or some other accessory plugged into it, it should be empty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.