StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a nickle sized water puddle under the bike that was coolant. The wet area in the skid plate indicates the coolant came from a small hose on the right side of the engine forward of the water pump. A quick search indicates this hose might drain a cavity that the pump would leak water to if the seal was leaking. It also indicates that an occasional small leak is normal or okay. I'm just looking for confirmation that this is normal, or that I have a problem. '06 Vee with 33K miles.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
All your statements are correct. Typically the leak stops when all warms up a bit. To be sure keep an eye on the coolant level in the expansion bottle.

My WEE did it very intermittently but I never needed to add coolant during the season.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Totally normal.

It can happen now and then. If it continues to happen to the extent that you need to top up the coolant, you have a problem.

Otherwise, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A small amount on cool down can happen. May go away completely in 100/200 km. Monitor coolant level and check to ensure it isn't leaking a large amount while you ride. The ones I've worked on had a ceramic disc on the back of the impeller rotating against a fixed spring loaded carbon ring. Grit can get between them and cause a dribble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts