StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through the owners manual for the 2012 V-Strom is says to replace the engine coolant every 7500 miles or basically every other oil change. I was just wondering what it is about this engine that degrades the coolant such that it needs to be replaced that often. I looked at the manual for my Aprilia Dorsoduro and replacing the coolant is never mentioned. I had a Mana GT and after over 46K miles don't think the coolant ever needed to be replaced. Is this normal for the V-Strom? I am a new owner and just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Wow... you read your Owners manual! :fineprint:

I replace the coolant when I do the plugs, the bike is stripped at that point anyways....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I just looked at the DL1000 factory manual, it says to inspect the coolant every 4,000 miles, and replace every 2 years.

Inspect? Maybe a taste test?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The 2012 DL650A service manual says to inspect the cooling system every 6,000km/4,000mi/12 months, replace blue coolant every 24,000km/14,500mi/48 months or replace green coolant every 12,000km/7,500mi/24 months. Actually, it says 75,000mi on the last option but that's an obvious typo.

Since the bike comes with the Suzuki long life blue stuff, coolant replacement coincides nicely with valve clearance inspection at 24,000km/14,500mi/48 months.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You probably read it wrong... I am guessing it says inspect it at 7500miles and maybe replace every 2 years or so.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
hmmm, that often? Guess i'm a bit behind since I haven't changed my coolant in 123,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
dont know, some of these coolant these days are rated for very long life - most better quality coolant you buy from auto shops these day are rated 60,000 to 100,000km or 4 years.

My 2009 Forester has factory coolant rated for 175,000km or 7 years. Honda sells a factory "motorcycle specific" coolant rated for 100,000km or 7 years.

·
Registered
575 Posts
No I lost my first engine because my local dealer replaced the air filter, and threw around the rubber gasket that goes around it. air box, intake, throttle bodies and everything else were packed full of dirt and grime, which completely scarred the cylinder walls and the rings.

Let me ask you, why would you replace the coolant? If it is still clean as the day it went in? and passes the hydrometer test? to my knowledge glycol can be broken down by bacteria, but that doesn't occur to any appreciable degree in a closed loop system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts