StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a coolant flush on my 2013 dl650 a. I'm in the process of bleeding the air from the system. I filled up the radiator with the indicated amount of fluid and now it's time to run the engine as part of the bleeding process. I know this is a real technical and probably noobish question, however, when I run the engine, should I put the cap back on the radiator or leave it off?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leave the cap off while running the engine to bleed the system. Rock the bike until bleeding stops, filling the radiator to the inlet as you go. Once air is bled then replace radiator cap. Then you can turn the bike off, warm it back up and cool it down a few times, then fill the reservoir.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Team)) Thanks. The PO kept on top of things. There was a coolant change w super long life about three + years ago. I've put a ton of miles on and figured I should have at it))

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...oh... and I plan to finish up tonight or tomorrow... work is getting in the way;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my mileage is somewhere between 14 and 15000 miles. I still haven't finished the job. Work keeps getting in the way. I guess it's just a busy time of year. Also, I couldn't get the radiator to take the full 1700 ml replacement fluid. As a result I wanted to ride it around a bit before replacing the side panels just to make sure that I've bled all the air out of it. I suspect that my efforts to flush it we're not entirely successful, and that I left about 300 mL of old coolant behind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How often is it recommended to change the coolant?
The manual indicates every 14,500 miles or 48 months for the "blue" coolant and every 7500 miles or 24 months for the "green" stuff.

And... I finally, finally finished the job this afternoon. I should add that changing out the body panels looked really daunting at first. However, I'm one or two degrees north of a mechanical idiot, and it turned out to be pretty easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts