StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my bike to white. The local US dealer will not quote me the pieces because Suzuki will not sell parts that were not sold in the US.

I am in northern California - any recommendations on a Canada dealer who will help?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
canadian dealer

I needed a canadian spec fender for a kawasaki. Ordered it shipped to Indiana from a canadian dealer no problem. If I wanted to change color on my '12 DL650 I would not even consider buying replacement panels. I'd get the original parts repainted. I had paint work done on my truck recently, asked the owner for a quote on the V-Strom. $300 and no worrys about shipping damage or inferior paint quality. My new V-Strom has an obvoius flaw on one panel and the rest are only average.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
With the new DL panels I'd seriously consider the 3M vinyl option as well, it'll be cheaper than painting

Pete

·
Registered
29 Posts
In due time I will coat mine with a colored bedliner (Gorilla Grip).

But I ride offroad a lot, not too worried about 'shiny'

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Any paint shop worth their mettle will paint you take off shrouds for under $300 bux....what's the worry?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Any paint shop worth their mettle will paint you take off shrouds for under $300 bux....what's the worry?
The advantage of the wrap is that
a) It'll cost a lot less
b) If you drop it and scratch it you can just replace the film on that panel (and it'll still colour match)
c) White Carbon fibre look would be cool :)

Wasn't that viable on the old bike because of the large panels, you could do it, but it took a long time, but on the new model it should be easy.

Pete

·
Registered
35 Posts
Total cost to change from Fox orange to white was $780. Mine is white but was built orange and the previous owner changed it. I have a full new set of orange plastics.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I want to convert my bike to white. The local US dealer will not quote me the pieces because Suzuki will not sell parts that were not sold in the US.

I am in northern California - any recommendations on a Canada dealer who will help?
You will be shocked at the price of parts in Canada. I thank the painting option is a way better way to go and you can go with whatever colour you want. No experience with 3M film, Is that what vehicle wraps are made from?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Total cost to change from Fox orange to white was $780. Mine is white but was built orange and the previous owner changed it. I have a full new set of orange plastics.
Australian prices for parts are hideously expensive. The engine cowl is twice as much in AU as it is in the US.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
There are several web sites stocking the 3M car wrap. (Use google).

From memory it's 60" wide X$/foot. You'll have to work it out yourself (Your money, your mistakes to make :) ) , but I think I came up with a cost over $100 when I looked at it - still a lot less than paint.
You probably want enough for one spare panel the first time (assuming you make a mistake somewhere) .

Measure up the panels, allow for some overhang, draw them roughly on grid paper ?.

Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts