StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered LED bulbs to convert the head light and fog lights to LED.

The LED claims to use less amps... and the bike can support mor lighting with this conversion.

Any comments??

Glenn
2005 Wee

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Yes... LEDs use less energy for basically the same light output... This is a well known fact. With most motorcyle's limited electrical output, you can see why LEDs are popular with bikers...

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Fast blinking.

If you replace the turn signal bulbs with LEDs, the rate of blinking may speed up a lot, or perhaps the signals just won't blink. If you see either of these behaviors, then the blinker is sensitive to the current drawn, and works properly only if the current is within a certain range, far more than LEDs draw. The only sensible remedy is then to get a blinker that doesn't care about current. (The senseless remedy is to add resistors, thus wasting the power you are working and paying to save.)

Please tell us what LED headlights work for you.
Good luck!
Keith

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
There are direct replacement flashers available that support LEDs. A search on e-bay for SV650 flasher relay will find many. Simple two contact LED relays are cheaper but require more work. Installing a new flasher for led turn signals

This thread is about headlights and fog lights though. Fog lights are not stock but are available. If fog lights are desired for actual use in fog rather than driving lights, find amber or warm white LEDs. LEDs advertised as white actually look blue and blue is the worst color to use in fog. The sky looks blue because of the water droplets in the air dispersing the blue spectrum. Blue light in fog gets dispersed and much of the light is reflected back at the source.

I know of no H4 LED replacements that have a true hi and low beam. All the ones I've seen just do bright and dim with zero attention to beam pattern. LEDs are not bright enough to provide the two pinpoint sources required and require more surface area. 35W HIDs are probably the best choice for lower headlight draw.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I know of no H4 LED replacements that have a true hi and low beam. All the ones I've seen just do bright and dim with zero attention to beam pattern. LEDs are not bright enough to provide the two pinpoint sources required and require more surface area.
All of what GW said is correct, but this bit is the most important. Our v-strom headlights are so good because of the reflectors. In order to take advantage of the reflectors, any drop-in replacement bulbs must position the light source just right. Anything that doesn't will provide less effective lighting, and might well increase the glare you present to oncoming traffic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts