StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been preparing for my upcoming BC trip and experimenting with using my P&S Canon 710 to take some video along the way, using a handlebar mountd RAM mount.

I've found that stills work very good and have taken quite a number of keepers - problem is with video, at ay resolution, is there is a lot of shake due to minor road vibrations coming through the handlebars. I also tried my older but smallish camcorder with somewhat same but lesser results. Both hae optical stabilization and it's on. In addition, whether using a 5" or 3" mounting arm seems to make little difference, same with whether the camera has the lens tube e/w 1A and CP filters on.

I don't want to go to a ring mount on the gas tank as I have a FAMSA tank set and don't want to give that up, other than that, and purchasing a new camcorder and lipstick cam, options are open. (I have discovered money talks - when I take my credit card out lately I seem to hear - "oh [email protected]$%^, not again")

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions - mounting, technique etc that might help reduce and or eliminate the shake. Appreciate advice from those who've been down this road before.

Thanks and safe riding

Bob

M

·
0 Posts
You're never going to get rid of camera shake on that mount. You've placed all the weight high on a stick, mounted to a moving platform. It's always going to shake. The best way to get good video is a bullet cam. For an inexpensive solution check out Oregon Scientific's ATC-2k helmet cam. It's about the sizee of a small flashlight and is a self contained unit that records onto SD flash memory. The cheapest I've seen is $88.00 online.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Im shocked those are only 88 now shep I might have to look into one, this could be great for riding and snowboarding :mrgreen:

If its a constant vibration the only thing I can think of is trying to find ways to isolate the mount, padding of somesort perhaps? it wont get rid of the problem but if you can get a wide enough mount with some kind of foam between it and the bar it might take the vibration down a littke.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
What about a remote cam that plugs into an existing recorder? I know this is expensive but it certainly conveys the idea.

http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/ourgear.php?page=scout_overview

You're never going to get rid of camera shake on that mount. You've placed all the weight high on a stick, mounted to a moving platform. It's always going to shake. The best way to get good video is a bullet cam. For an inexpensive solution check out Oregon Scientific's ATC-2k helmet cam. It's about the sizee of a small flashlight and is a self contained unit that records onto SD flash memory. The cheapest I've seen is $88.00 online.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I've tried everything to cure the vibrations on a mini DV, from isolation mount using special rubber standoffs to urathane dampening and the only solution is to use a bullet cam and just use the mini DV as a tape deck. Check on ebay for helmet cams or bullet cams, should be some available for around 120 bucks.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - appreciated

Appreciate the advice. Perhaps later on when I find the additional $ to get a camcorder with AV inputs I'll try out a helmet cam. I have read a number of reviews about the all in one camera/recorder - some have been good, some not so good and think I'll let a few more members of John Q Public field test it first but certainly does look like a great idea for the motorcycle fraternity..

On a related note, I did find (today) a quasi cure while running an errand - reducing the arm height from 5 to 3" didn't buy me a lot - all tests were run on the same stretch of road at 80km/hr by the way but I did discover that repositioning the RAM so that the arm and steering head were more or less the same angle (rake) , and mounting the unit between the handlebar mounts took the jumpiness down quite a bit. I have the ball mounts for the master cylinder cover so may try that option in more detail as well.

Safe riding and thanks

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts