StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so when I purchased my used Wee it came with a set of Continental Trail Attacks on it and I have really enjoyed them. They seem to handle well on dry roads and decent on wet. I am now in the market to replace them but thought I should do my due diligence prior to purchasing a set of the TA 2's. After much research, I have narrowed my choices IMO down to either the TA 2's or the Metzeler Tourance Next.

If you have experience and an opinion on either or preferably both, I would really appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

nwfirerider

·
Registered
448 Posts
I barely went to the darkside on the rear from Metzler tourance next tires (the front is still going). I got 7000 miles out of the rear tire. Other than getting my usual 7K miles, which I'm sick of, I absolutely LOVED the tourance next tires! Much more than Anakee III's.
Doug

·
Registered
184 Posts
My wife has the Metzeler Tourance on her F650GS and they performed flawlessly even when they are worn dry, wet, gravel it's a great tire.

Next tire I'm going with the Shinko 705 on my V just to try them. They look like a copy of the Metzeler Tourance and are less than 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I just ordered a set of the Metzeler Tourance Nexts. I am hopeful they will be as good as you say and what I am wanting out of them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My wife has the Metzeler Tourance on her F650GS and they performed flawlessly even when they are worn dry, wet, gravel it's a great tire.

Next tire I'm going with the Shinko 705 on my V just to try them. They look like a copy of the Metzeler Tourance and are less than 1/2 the price.
Keep your eye on the Shinkos. Mine delaminated at 3500 miles. I liked the tires for performance, but not for quality.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Keep your eye on the Shinkos. Mine delaminated at 3500 miles. I liked the tires for performance, but not for quality.

Thanks for the heads up. I've read quite a bit about this and from what I've been gathering it was the older version that had problems but the newer radials are better? I'll be keeping a close eye on them for sure. Set just showed up for my wifes BMW and a set on order for my Strom. At $150 CDN/set delivered it's hard to pass up.

On a side note and not trying to hijack this thread I've been using the Shinko 244 on my KLR's for years. I've read a ton of horror stories about the rear tires chunking and losing center lugs. Iv'e gone though 5 or 6 sets of these tires on my KLR and usually run them both front and rear between 20-25lbs loaded or not, offroad or highway and have never had an issue with them.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I have had the stock "death wings", Anakee 2, Pirelle Scorpion (road version) and Trail Attacks.

Just to give you an idea, with all but TA (1), i average about 10-12,000km (6-7500 miles) before the front is worn out - strangely my rear would always still have 1/5 left when the front is at legal limit. So this is my usual wear rate

I also had 2 sets of Trail Attack 1 - First set lasted about 16,000km for front with about 1500km left before getting to legal limit. The second set last about 19,000km and was still roadworthy as certified by local certifier when i sold my Wee.

Even with its long life, its dry performance is best of the whole bunch and wet performance is equal with Anakee 2. The dirt performance on unpaved or unsealed road is not as good as Scorpion but no worse than others.

I am now on the new Trail Attack 2 - i dont know its life expectancy, but i think the turn in is even better now and dirt is certainly better than TA 1.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a set of older Pirelli scorpions on the bike when I bought it, the rear locked up with barely any rear brake application and I highsided the bike.

I replaced the tires with Conti Trail Attack 2's, only have a few hundred km on them so far but the stick like glue in the dry and I tried to lock up the rear a bit (not too crazy haha) and it was fine so I am happy so far.

I don't ride enough to care about cost and wear as priorities, I want the best grip not to save a few bucks.

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
Wasn't that with the bias ply version?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got a set of the Metzler Next tires and the look awesome. I had them mounted yesterday and will be taking my first ride with them this weekend. I replaced
a set of Conti TA 1's and will update you on what I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts