StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used these tires? They're advertised as a 60/40 tire which would match my riding because although I'm going to be 90% street, I still want a tire with decent off-road performance.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have them on my V2 and think they are just OK.

I prefer the Anakee 3's in every situation, on road, off road and in the wet.

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
I may get bashed for saying this, but that is OK. I recently followed a rider with a rear TKC-80 as he hit a car. Yes, we were going fast, but I managed to miss the car and he didn't.

TKC-80 are good off road tires. Lot's of void space between knobs. However, that means less rubber on the road when your trying to corner. Everything's a compromise. When you get into one of those hail Marry situations less rubber is not good. I personally think that if you use a big block tire you need to dial back your expectations for sport handling. Know your limitations.... and your bikes limitations as outfitted. They may handle better than expected, but they will not handle as well as the best road tires.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may get bashed for saying this, but that is OK. I recently followed a rider with a rear TKC-80 as he hit a car. Yes, we were going fast, but I managed to miss the car and he didn't.

TKC-80 are good off road tires.
Uuum, I was asking about the 70's not the 80's.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Well, I have about 4000 miles on a set of TKC 70's. They are noisy from day one and get worse ( front tire ) as they wear. Turn in is good, they feel light and give decent feedback. When pushing hard in turns the front tire is the limiting factor. It wants to squirm quite a bit. Under hard braking the front tire moves around a lot. Which is exactly what a tire with large voids in the tread between rubber blocks is going to do. Front tire has had 38 psi most of its life and is feathering badly. Again, typical for a tire like this. They hold better in loose gravel and dirt than the Shinko 705 ( Shinko 705 is better everywhere else ). The rear tire looks like it might not be aggressive enough to hold in loose stuff, but the blocks to the side of the continuous center rib really bite in well. I was surprised at that. I can see 7000 miles out of this rear easily. Which is very good for me. Front may make that, but I don't know if I can live with the feathering and wobble at certain speeds that causes.
I won't buy a set again. But, I would buy another rear TKC 70 and put something like a Shinko 705 on the front.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Let me be the outlier as I think the TKC70s are an excellent set of tires and will purchase them again (they are a higher mileage dual sport tire - varying density). I am not sure how someone can categorize them as less aggressive then the Anakee 3's which I am very familiar with. One of my co-riders uses those and he struggles in anything loose (dirt, gravel, sand, and any mud) more than me that we ride frequently on our fire roads. They lack the block tread design. His may be the smoothest on the interstate though. He keeps saying he will go TKC70s on his next set. The Anakee 3's whine next to me on the highway.

I am at 9000 miles on the rear and there is a lot of tread left. If you have used the K60s the TKC70s wear just as well, are less noisy (but still make noise on front - and more on leans), are more stable on wet pavement than the K60s, and are better on the highway. My riding pattern is to go about 70 mph down the interstate for an hour to get to the Ozarks and then ride mainly dirt and/or gravel fire roads and trails. I ride with another guy that uses a TKC70 on the rear and a TKC80 in the front but he rides off-road more than I do. His are a bit rougher on the interstate with the 80 on the front. Lately, I would categorize my riding as 80/20. For even 90/10 I would not go less aggressive.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Junk. Rear squares badly. Front Wobbles by 50% worn. Both were expensive. Back to A3s (smooth to the wear bars) until somebody makes a better choice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am looking for a rear tire ... Options are limited down here (Ecuador) My front is the stock and will still last a long time. Riding is 90/10 but the 10 is usually mud or loose gravel/sand when landslides or roads get torn in the winter so no way avoiding that.
For what I can see it would work fine in the rear.

Regards,
Patrick

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I put a set of TKC-70's on after my Anakees wore out to try more dirt roads. After a couple hundred miles I just did 2 back to back rides of 618 and 420 miles through the mountains and dirt roads and wore them to the edge with confidence. However, one thing that I find prevalent is that these tires, for me anyway, don't lean in... they FALL in. They will start to lean and then drop; it's not a nice even fluid movement. That takes some getting used to but it's very easy to scrape pegs. Another thing I noticed and don't like is that the front tire wanders a bit and will follow grooves. I was able to easily ride down a dirt road at 50mph and it did squirm, but not pucker factor kind of stuff. Will I buy another set when these wear out. No. But they do stick like glue on the dry pavement for me. I actually passed a pair of sport bikers in the twisties (4 lane) and I was fully loaded with luggage, tools and food. I hope that helps.

Reactions: We2V2

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a black & blue leg due to my inability to hold the the bike steady with a TKC70 rear on a slimy patch. I'm going back to E07.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The tread pattern on the Anakee 3 is less aggressive but IMO they stick better to all surfaces.

I love nothing more than blasting WOT down a sealed or dirt road and the Anakee gives me more confidence in the corners and when braking than the TKC70.

Motorcycling is all about confidence, I don't care what tyres you are using if you don't have confidence in them you will have to adjust your ridding accordingly.

If putting a tyre with a more aggressive pattern on helps with your confidence go for it, I don't need it.

Reactions: We2V2

·
5,424 Posts
Thanks. The main complaint seems to be the front tire that wears unevenly and has wobble/ vibration issues.

I think I'll look at the competitors for a 60/40 tire.
I looked at those reviews and others myself. Figured most were just not used to a tire like this. I now can say that they are spot on. The more the front tire wears, the more it wobbles. Don't take my post too negative, I think the tires do very well at what they are advertised for. Riding on dirt and gravel WILL give a different wear pattern than high speeds on flat pavement. I don't ride with my hands off the bars anyway, so a wobble isn't a problem to me. But the poor braking is something I don't want again. Shame really, the rear tire may be one of the best all around on/off road compromises I have used.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I have not had the wobble issue with about 4500 miles on the front and 9000 on the rear but I keep seeing where some do. I hear the same thing on K60s and some who use a TKC80 on the front of their K60 rear. Of course the TKC80s just don't last. The Anakee 3's just aren't aggressive enough for much but are great pavement tires. It's a tradeoff with no perfect tire yet. Where I have my tires changed they make a big point about the need for more aggressive tires - especially on the front to be balanced correctly and sometimes rebalanced to avoid a wobble developing as they wear.

K60 front wobble

·
5,424 Posts
I actually balanced the front and rear TKC 70's when I mounted them. I don't often balance my motorcycle tires, but with the issues I had read about I wanted to start out with zero influences that would effect them. Still felt a slight wobble when new under the right conditions. It has gotten worse as miles add up, the feathering is no doubt adding to that. There is no way in Hell I am removing a tire to check balance every couple thousand miles! The front TKC 70 performs very well in softer material. But it is NOT a good choice overall if you spend most of your time on pavement at speed. It really feels and wears like a knobby tire.

The rear TKC 70 is quite a gem. Doesn't mind 75 mph for tank after tank, holds well in turns, good in wet, and so far seems to be a very good wearing tire. Probably as good as Battlewings for mileage.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
My rear TKC70 will do very close to double the Battlewing on mileage based on 9000 miles - more like a K60. I wonder if some fronts have a manufacturing issue. I just rode at 75 mph to fill up on gas at a station about ten miles away and it is as smooth as can be with approaching 5000 miles on the front. Initially folks were saying that only certain sizes of the fronts had a wobble issue but maybe it is an inconsistent process issue. There are three of us using them here with no problems. We all got them at the local mototireusa.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Mine came from Bike Bandit and I have a spare front for my other Strom back in Boston. I will not be putting that on and will probably offer it for free later.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maybe Avon TrailRiders? I haven't had them on long enough to offer a real opinion but so far so good. Rocky Mountain ATV for best price.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts