StromTrooper banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Sena has a system where I can press a button and save the previous minute of recording to the card. If I don't press it, it constantly overwrites itself.
I'm intrigued by the Sena 10C. I don't want/need an "action cam", per se. But what I've always wanted was a way to be able to take decent-quality photos (and/or maybe short video clips) of things I see while riding, without having to stop and fumble with a camera or phone camera. I always thought it would be great if I could simply point my head in the direction of what I want a picture of and tap a button to take a picture. Better yet would be voice control.

Does the Sena come close to this ideal? How's the quality of still photos?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fabulous video! Thank you for posting it and for the feedback on stuff that worked for you. I used a bike mounted go-pro knock off on my big trip last year and there was so much vibration that the moving video was mostly ruined. I was worried about weight/drag of a helmet mounted camera on my neck over an extended period of time. The Sena 10C sounds great.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
So I finally took the time to put together video highlights of my trip from PEI (Atlantic Canada Coast) to West Coast USA (and many points in between).

All told, I rode about 23,000 KM (~14,300 miles) in 40 days. Yes, I took the scenic route!

Some of the spots I hit include (but not limited to):

Provinces: New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario
States: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine

National Parks: Rocky Mountain, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Escalante, Arches, Big Bend, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Mesa Verde

The video also includes quite a bit of off road action, most of the fun stuff coming from the 100 mile White Rim Road in Utah (5 dismounts there alone, I think).

The Strom performed flawlessly, 2 oil changes and one rear tire were all it needed. And as you will see from the video, I didn't baby it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making it.

What a fantastic chronicle of what must have been an epic trip! Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
What a fabulous video great editing too. Perfect timing for me to watch in the cold winter months.
I have a trip planned with my best friend the summer of 2020 leaving from Sudbury Ontario across Canada to BC, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan and back to Sudbury Ontario approximately 19000 km 30 days or so.
Can't wait will be riding a 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650 DL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would love to ride with a local in Arizona. If I get out that way again, I'll definitely hit you up.
I'm not sure what exactly a "thighrod" is - I think it was a term I heard back in my weightlifting days. I guess I thought it had a nice (and strange) ring to it. Good to meet you shinrod! haha
OK, so your name does not mean what I thought it did, which is good. I broke my leg in a crash in 2017, and have a titanium rod in my left tibia. Thought maybe you had had a similar experience.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually crack both sides of the skidplate - the left side on an unsuccessful attempt on Tin Cup Pass (as seen @ 1:50 in the video); the right side I cracked somewhere on White Rim Road - could have been any of 20 to 30 incidents, lol

The unit is actually made in Canada by an outfit called Outback Motortek. I recommend them, they stand behind their products. They have replaced cracked bars for me in the past, free of charge.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother them about the skidplate, because I think I really beat on it in a manner that exceeds any reasonable design limit.
You could always get a good welder to mig weld a patch over the crack, or perhaps fill it in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm currently on a "continent crossing" trip on my 2018 "highly modified" DL650XT. 10,000 miles estimated. So. California down Baja, across to the mainland, and thru Guatemala and Belize then back into Mexico. Bike is a pleasure to ride on the pavement and on dirt/gravel roads. See my running documentary on the DL 2017+ forum.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Lake Tahoe is a nice area to adventure for sure. I'm hoping to justify my adventure travels by using them as "work". For context, here is what I do: www.jonpaulgallery.com www.thinairculture.com With the summer being our towns busy season, and still having one child at home, it's hard for me to get away. I'm hoping to plan well enough to create images, stories, maybe a short documentary / slide show / talk..... I just need to make it happen. I appreciate the motivation you and others on this forum are providing by sharing your experiences.
Wow JP, I checked out your work - AMAZING PHOTOS. Wish I had the skill/equipment to capture images in the way you do. Good luck with your adventure, I'm sure you'll make it happen. Let us know when you do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I'm intrigued by the Sena 10C. I don't want/need an "action cam", per se. But what I've always wanted was a way to be able to take decent-quality photos (and/or maybe short video clips) of things I see while riding, without having to stop and fumble with a camera or phone camera. I always thought it would be great if I could simply point my head in the direction of what I want a picture of and tap a button to take a picture. Better yet would be voice control.

Does the Sena come close to this ideal? How's the quality of still photos?
Yeah, the Sena unit can take still photos, but I'm never that happy with the quality. I actually find screen caps of video it shoots to often produce a better still image.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Fabulous video! Thank you for posting it and for the feedback on stuff that worked for you. I used a bike mounted go-pro knock off on my big trip last year and there was so much vibration that the moving video was mostly ruined. I was worried about weight/drag of a helmet mounted camera on my neck over an extended period of time. The Sena 10C sounds great.
Yes, and I think they have a new and improved version that came out last year. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
What a fabulous video great editing too. Perfect timing for me to watch in the cold winter months.
I have a trip planned with my best friend the summer of 2020 leaving from Sudbury Ontario across Canada to BC, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan and back to Sudbury Ontario approximately 19000 km 30 days or so.
Can't wait will be riding a 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650 DL.
Wow, that's a very similar trip to mine, with a couple extra spots added in for good measure! You will love it. Extra nice to do it with a friend. It's pretty hard to find a person to do something like this with, so congrats on that. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jeez, that sounds painful. And not very long ago. Hope all's well now (mentally and physically).
This conversation is getting interesting, I was curious about your screen name, too. My dad was in a motorcycle crash (he was a passenger) back when he was in high school, and he had a metal rod in his femur for a while. He was able to have it removed, though.

Cool video! Looked like you had a pretty epic trip. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow JP, I checked out your work - AMAZING PHOTOS. Wish I had the skill/equipment to capture images in the way you do. Good luck with your adventure, I'm sure you'll make it happen. Let us know when you do.
Thank you Thighrod! I'm sure hoping to expose some film on that trip. Life isn't cooperating, but I'm fighting for the opportunity. I'll let everyone know if it happens.
Be well,
JP

61 - 77 of 77 Posts