StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What did you use to record the videos? Totally agree that Sony makes great cameras; my understanding is many of them are great in low-light situations, as yours appears to be. I have a bulkier Sony camera (NEX-5, one of their mirror-less ones) which I love, but would want something more compact like the RX-100 for bike touring.
The bike footage was all shot on a Sena 10C helmet mounted communicator. Camera, bluetooth and intercom all in one. Had it about 3 yrs now, and has hardly missed a beat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Excellent video of an outstanding trip. Or outstanding video of an excellent trip? Either way, Wow! Well done!
Rick, you actually came along on this ride with me:

I ordered and installed your footpeg lowering kit prior to leaving. I had several 12 hr+ days in the saddle and cramping knees were never an issue, and that was something that always bothered me on long trips in the past. You wouldn't think that an extra inch would make such a difference (that's what she said).

Glad you enjoyed the vid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, you are the Adventuretech guy? I have your junk all over my bike! I agree with Thighrod, the peg lowering kit makes all the difference, ordered it and the shifter relocator kit after my first day on my new Strom. Got got the fender lift and mirror spreaders, too. Great stuff!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I finally took the time to put together video highlights of my trip from PEI (Atlantic Canada Coast) to West Coast USA (and many points in between).

All told, I rode about 23,000 KM (~14,300 miles) in 40 days. Yes, I took the scenic route!

Some of the spots I hit include (but not limited to):

Provinces: New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario
States: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine

National Parks: Rocky Mountain, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Escalante, Arches, Big Bend, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Mesa Verde

The video also includes quite a bit of off road action, most of the fun stuff coming from the 100 mile White Rim Road in Utah (5 dismounts there alone, I think).

The Strom performed flawlessly, 2 oil changes and one rear tire were all it needed. And as you will see from the video, I didn't baby it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making it.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
The bike footage was all shot on a Sena 10C helmet mounted communicator. Camera, bluetooth and intercom all in one. Had it about 3 yrs now, and has hardly missed a beat.
Do you roll footage at all times? How many hours will it record at that quality with what size SD card?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
@Thighrod

Generally I can't stand most videos. I find they are largely a waste of time and for the most part what they convey can best be done with typed words and pictures.

This video though is wonderful! I truly enjoyed watching it and will likely watch it again! It brought back happy memories as I have been to a good number of places in the video, want to go to some of them and there are others I wouldn't go near.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

..Tom
Thanks Tom. I've read so many of your posts over the years that I feel like I know you personally, so that's nice to hear, coming from you.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thank you for sharing! Very well done edit. I'm motivated to take my first long adventure ride. Hoping for this summer. Have a fantastic and safe New Year!
JP
Thanks JP, same to you. Judging by your username, you're already in a nice part of the country for adventures!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The happy days of being a youngster! Hahaha! Superb video of a fabulous trip! Thanks for igniting a fire in all of us no matter the age. Well done young man and keep us posted on your next trip "round' the block."
Itll help us all get past these next two months of mother nature's torture.
I'd be curious as to a photo of the pack mule all loaded up and were there any items you didn't use?
Thanks for the nice words pop. I'm actually not that young, but appreciate you thinking so, haha.

Looks like my next motorcycle trip is going to be in Northern Vietnam this spring. I'm going to bring my helmet cam and hand camera, so hopefully I can get some good interesting footage.

You can get a notification when it goes up by clicking the subscribe link in my signature.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks JP, same to you. Judging by your username, you're already in a nice part of the country for adventures!

Lake Tahoe is a nice area to adventure for sure. I'm hoping to justify my adventure travels by using them as "work". For context, here is what I do: www.jonpaulgallery.com www.thinairculture.com With the summer being our towns busy season, and still having one child at home, it's hard for me to get away. I'm hoping to plan well enough to create images, stories, maybe a short documentary / slide show / talk..... I just need to make it happen. I appreciate the motivation you and others on this forum are providing by sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I also thought the skid plate was a Ravetech. I think the Outback Mototek stuff is quite good. If you took it to the limit and beyond, you were doing some serious bashing. Alas, better plate than engine casing.
Yes indeed, saved me a cracked case/oil pan/filter many times over. Even bashed and cracked like it is now, it still does the job (just doesn't look as nice).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Great trip! Looks like you had good weather along the way. My main criticism of the video is that it is too short! Perhaps you can make a series of videos to cover the 40 days. You might want to look into a video stabilizer both for the camera and in the editing room. Learn to move your head more slowly and deliberately as well. Looking forward to your next rip across....the world! johnny mars
Yeah, rained on me twice in 40 days, can't complain about that!

I may do something longer/blog style at some point, we'll see what happens. I'm going to Northern Vietnam to motorcycle this spring, so I might do something more that style then.

Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
If you ever make it back to AZ, it would be cool to meet up! BTW, does your name mean what I think it does? If so, I am shinrod!
I would love to ride with a local in Arizona. If I get out that way again, I'll definitely hit you up.
I'm not sure what exactly a "thighrod" is - I think it was a term I heard back in my weightlifting days. I guess I thought it had a nice (and strange) ring to it. Good to meet you shinrod! haha

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Do you roll footage at all times? How many hours will it record at that quality with what size SD card?
Pretty much rolling most of the time (except for when my battery dies and I don't have the opportunity to charge it). The Sena has a system where I can press a button and save the previous minute of recording to the card. If I don't press it, it constantly overwrites itself. This helps a lot with editing. I have a few 128 GB micro SD cards that I use, mostly without issue.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts