StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Colorado is pretty amazing. Utah can be pretty nice too. I had to do it in the Jeep though.

I did do Colorado Springs area though on the V-strom.(y)

·
Registered
89 Posts
What they all said. Outstanding. Epic. Awesome. Not to mention, pretty good too. :cool: I won't have the time you did but my trip will be Spring 2020. Thanks from all of us for the time you put into the video and sharing - really enjoyed some of the night shots - esp your bike silhouetted by the stars.(y) Camera?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Damn, you are badass! That dicey desert track had me cringing (and I'm on my couch). But WOW, what a trip!! Thank you for sharing the video and trip details. The video made my week (correction- the Philadelphia Eagles winning the NFC East yesterday and seeing Jerry Jones almost cry made my week). Hope to make a similar trip someday on my V-Strom. Drove cross-country from PA to WA and back this summer in my FJ Cruiser; it was amazing, and I saw some spectacular sights, but I didn't get to stop at all the places I wanted to. There is so much more to see. I consider it a blessing to "get it" that getting out and seeing nature like that is what it's all about (after family).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What they all said. Outstanding. Epic. Awesome. Not to mention, pretty good too. :cool: I won't have the time you did but my trip will be Spring 2020. Thanks from all of us for the time you put into the video and sharing - really enjoyed some of the night shots - esp your bike silhouetted by the stars.(y) Camera?
Most of the stills were taken on a tiny Sony RX-100. Takes great night pics!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Was it a fall that cracked your (Ravetech, right?) skid plate?
I actually crack both sides of the skidplate - the left side on an unsuccessful attempt on Tin Cup Pass (as seen @ 1:50 in the video); the right side I cracked somewhere on White Rim Road - could have been any of 20 to 30 incidents, lol

The unit is actually made in Canada by an outfit called Outback Motortek. I recommend them, they stand behind their products. They have replaced cracked bars for me in the past, free of charge.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother them about the skidplate, because I think I really beat on it in a manner that exceeds any reasonable design limit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Man, that was awesome! What an adventure! Was in Utah myself in 2017 on my KLR, rode the dugway and Burr trail. The video looked very professional, did you do it yourself? Was inspiring to a new Strom owner like myself to see you flog that big steed, how did you ever get back up that steep bank you slid down on the white trail? One minor nit to pick - Sonoma is next door in Cali, the red rock region of AZ is called Sedona. Great video, makes me wanna go ride!

·
Registered
204 Posts
What did you use to record the videos? Totally agree that Sony makes great cameras; my understanding is many of them are great in low-light situations, as yours appears to be. I have a bulkier Sony camera (NEX-5, one of their mirror-less ones) which I love, but would want something more compact like the RX-100 for bike touring.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
@Thighrod

Generally I can't stand most videos. I find they are largely a waste of time and for the most part what they convey can best be done with typed words and pictures.

This video though is wonderful! I truly enjoyed watching it and will likely watch it again! It brought back happy memories as I have been to a good number of places in the video, want to go to some of them and there are others I wouldn't go near.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

..Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I finally took the time to put together video highlights of my trip from PEI (Atlantic Canada Coast) to West Coast USA (and many points in between).

All told, I rode about 23,000 KM (~14,300 miles) in 40 days. Yes, I took the scenic route!

Some of the spots I hit include (but not limited to):

Provinces: New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario
States: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine

National Parks: Rocky Mountain, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Escalante, Arches, Big Bend, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Mesa Verde

The video also includes quite a bit of off road action, most of the fun stuff coming from the 100 mile White Rim Road in Utah (5 dismounts there alone, I think).

The Strom performed flawlessly, 2 oil changes and one rear tire were all it needed. And as you will see from the video, I didn't baby it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making it.

Thank you for sharing! Very well done edit. I'm motivated to take my first long adventure ride. Hoping for this summer. Have a fantastic and safe New Year!
JP

·
Registered
77 Posts
The happy days of being a youngster! Hahaha! Superb video of a fabulous trip! Thanks for igniting a fire in all of us no matter the age. Well done young man and keep us posted on your next trip "round' the block."
Itll help us all get past these next two months of mother nature's torture.
I'd be curious as to a photo of the pack mule all loaded up and were there any items you didn't use?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also thought the skid plate was a Ravetech. I think the Outback Mototek stuff is quite good. If you took it to the limit and beyond, you were doing some serious bashing. Alas, better plate than engine casing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Man, that was awesome! What an adventure! Was in Utah myself in 2017 on my KLR, rode the dugway and Burr trail. The video looked very professional, did you do it yourself? Was inspiring to a new Strom owner like myself to see you flog that big steed, how did you ever get back up that steep bank you slid down on the white trail? One minor nit to pick - Sonoma is next door in Cali, the red rock region of AZ is called Sedona. Great video, makes me wanna go ride!
Did you see those 2 guys on the the KTMs on the white rim in the video? I stopped to help them get one of their bikes working because the oil had all drained out of it through a leaky part of a seam in the engine case. Luckily, I had some JB Weld and a half bottle of oil onboard and was able to get them going again!

As luck would have it, they were riding with me and were there to help me drag my 500+ lb strom to the bottom of the hill when I went over the bank!

To answer your other question, the video was filmed/edited by me. It's not too difficult, just takes time.
And the Sedona/Sonoma thing? All I can say is arghhh!
Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great trip! Looks like you had good weather along the way. My main criticism of the video is that it is too short! Perhaps you can make a series of videos to cover the 40 days. You might want to look into a video stabilizer both for the camera and in the editing room. Learn to move your head more slowly and deliberately as well. Looking forward to your next rip across....the world! johnny mars

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was fantastic and entertaining. Loved the commentary edits. Great soundtrack. Took my breath away and made me want to hit the road. I appreciate the share, man. Well done!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thighrod, thanks for the answers. I did see those KTM guys in the video, I could see their surprise through their full face helmets! Doesn't surprise me in the least that an expensive, fancy KTM found a way to leave it's rider in the lurch. Good on ya for helping them out, and great that they were there when you needed them. On my Utah trip in 2017, found a guy on a WR 250 that had thrown his chain and wrapped it around the front sprocket. Didn't have the tools to help him fix it, but I did at least have better cell signal, and called Triple A for him. We gotta look out for each other out there! If you ever make it back to AZ, it would be cool to meet up! BTW, does your name mean what I think it does? If so, I am shinrod!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts