StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally took the time to put together video highlights of my trip from PEI (Atlantic Canada Coast) to West Coast USA (and many points in between).

All told, I rode about 23,000 KM (~14,300 miles) in 40 days. Yes, I took the scenic route!

Some of the spots I hit include (but not limited to):

Provinces: New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario
States: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine

National Parks: Rocky Mountain, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Escalante, Arches, Big Bend, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Mesa Verde

The video also includes quite a bit of off road action, most of the fun stuff coming from the 100 mile White Rim Road in Utah (5 dismounts there alone, I think).

The Strom performed flawlessly, 2 oil changes and one rear tire were all it needed. And as you will see from the video, I didn't baby it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making it.

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
Well, that was a keeper. I had to back up a lot to get a better look. That's real editing, no long boring section of same ol',same ol'. Yup, honesty in advertising you crashed a lot on the White road.Liked the flash of Sun Studio too.
I've heard that the eye can register like 24 images a second, you vid seemed to test my old eyes. Great job!
I'da let that nice lady do the tire swap if it were I.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Loved it!! That would be my soundtrack too. What was the ratio of tent to hammock? Did the White Rim trail this spring on a DR 400. It would have been more tense on the Vstrom! What a Bike you have!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wow! Trip of a lifetime. I loved the video and the music. I've seen some of that, but on road only on my Trophy - the Vegas, Death Valley and Arizona stuff. You haven't lived until you've done something like that. Thank you.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ok, this is why I love motorcycle forums. Man, that is an amazing trip. I'm going to make my wife sit and watch this, and say, 'now you know where I'll be this summer'. So many beautiful places to see, and I want to see them from my 'Strom. Except Vegas.

Now, if you had a gpx file, or some such thing, I'd sure love to have it. Otherwise I'll have to go through the video (5th time) and make a note of every place you gave a notation for.

12 thumbs up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow! I’m jealous. That is an epic trip. I would love to take a long trip like that but I would need more than 40 days. I don’t think I could make 23000km in 40 days. Great video

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loved it!! That would be my soundtrack too. What was the ratio of tent to hammock? Did the White Rim trail this spring on a DR 400. It would have been more tense on the Vstrom! What a Bike you have!
Probably near 50/50 tent vs hammock. Hammock was a lot more comfy, but tent a lot warmer. Some nights in Colorado got down into the 30's (F).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Trip of a lifetime. I loved the video and the music. I've seen some of that, but on road only on my Trophy - the Vegas, Death Valley and Arizona stuff. You haven't lived until you've done something like that. Thank you.

Cheers,
Glenn
Thanks Glenn, it's a trip I'll never forget for sure. I think I'd like to check out some of the more northern areas next - Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, BC, Alberta.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Thanks Glenn, it's a trip I'll never forget for sure. I think I'd like to check out some of the more northern areas next - Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, BC, Alberta.
My trip was a west coast loop - BC, WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, NV, ID, WA, BC - in a week. Different scenery than CO & UT but spectacular in its own way. My first experience with snakes on the road and my first collision ---------- with a 3 foot tumbleweed! The thing just went POOF when it hit me, didn't feel a thing!

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
Slovcan, Ditto with a tumble weed on I 40 in Texas. The trucker next to me was laughing in the cab when it happened.
When the weeds are dried out they are like a ball of cotton candy. Certainly nothing to get nervous and try to swerve around. But I was picking twigs out of the bike for a long time after.(y)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Slovcan, Ditto with a tumble weed on I 40 in Texas. The trucker next to me was laughing in the cab when it happened.
When the weeds are dried out they are like a ball of cotton candy. Certainly nothing to get nervous and try to swerve around. But I was picking twigs out of the bike for a long time after.(y)
Me too! I was braced for impact and - nuthin'. When I got home 2000 kms later there was still a twig stuck in my driving light bracket.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5 Posts
What an outstanding trip video! Loved the soundtrack too...do you have a title / artist you can share? Just about ready to enter my 2nd year of early retirement and have plans to tour many of the western roads you did....minus the off road stuff ;-) Waiting to update my ride to a Vstrom 650 first.

Bookmarked as I plan to watch your trip a few more times as I wait until spring. Thanks again for sharing all of the creative, hard work you put in to make this video...much appreciated!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Awesome video! Very well done and many thanks for sharing! Makes me want to head out for a long trip.

Reactions: Thighrod

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
WOW Great video and sound what a fantastic trip thanks for taking us along(y)(y)

Reactions: Thighrod

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, this is why I love motorcycle forums. Man, that is an amazing trip. I'm going to make my wife sit and watch this, and say, 'now you know where I'll be this summer'. So many beautiful places to see, and I want to see them from my 'Strom. Except Vegas.

Now, if you had a gpx file, or some such thing, I'd sure love to have it. Otherwise I'll have to go through the video (5th time) and make a note of every place you gave a notation for.

12 thumbs up.
Yeah, Vegas is nice to see once (IMO), however, I think I would go again if just for the @#$%^ buffets. WOW these people know how to eat. I was amazed. And full.

Unfortunately I don't have GPX/GPS route available. I really just marked out points of interest in google maps, then connected the dots, making adjustments for weather and time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! I’m jealous. That is an epic trip. I would love to take a long trip like that but I would need more than 40 days. I don’t think I could make 23000km in 40 days. Great video
The KM numbers are a little deceiving. Being from the flat (and familiar) east, I rode from sunup to sundown for the first and last 5 days of the trip (to get west/home quickly). Once I was out west, I averaged closer to 350-400 km per day. No doubt though, those 8-10 "travelling" days were pretty long.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Me too! I was braced for impact and - nuthin'. When I got home 2000 kms later there was still a twig stuck in my driving light bracket.:ROFLMAO:
The only road hazard I hit was a pallet's worth of shrink wrap in northern California. It pretty much wrapped the bike up like a head of lettuce!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What an outstanding trip video! Loved the soundtrack too...do you have a title / artist you can share? Just about ready to enter my 2nd year of early retirement and have plans to tour many of the western roads you did....minus the off road stuff ;-) Waiting to update my ride to a Vstrom 650 first.

Bookmarked as I plan to watch your trip a few more times as I wait until spring. Thanks again for sharing all of the creative, hard work you put in to make this video...much appreciated!
Yes, that's "Echoes" by Pink Floyd. Covered by a talented Youtuber named Jason Vandervoort who was nice enough to give me permission to use it.

Thanks for the nice comments and good luck on your travels.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts