StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NP. I think I am gonna switch to these tires after the stockers wear out. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I read the article and it pretty much explains why I did not like them. They turn in fast at first, but then its like a boat. You have to muscle your bars to get really good lean out of them. At least that was my impression, because of this I never felt comfortable, never could hold a line with them.

The TKC80 on the other hand, feel like the bike is going to go on its side when you start your lean. They will go all the way over very fast allowing for really fast maneuvering.

They have great grip in wet or dry that's for sure, but like the guy said in the article, you either love them or hate them. I hated them :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arent the TKC80's the knobby tires? They look awesome on the strom, but I'm not sure I would use them for myself. I am on pavement 99.9% of the time and I want a good street oriented tire. The TKC80's do look very cool on a strom however.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Arent the TKC80's the knobby tires? They look awesome on the strom, but I'm not sure I would use them for myself. I am on pavement 99.9% of the time and I want a good street oriented tire. The TKC80's do look very cool on a strom however.
Yep full knob, I have over 6k on mine and they still have 1500 to 2k miles left on them. I took them on a 4k mile trip to Banff Canada last month and they did great. I have gone up Palomar mt in San Diego with both the RA and the TkC80, and I prefer the TKC80. But that's just me it may be totally different for you all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I now have about 600 miles on my Conti's and can honestly say I'm glad I got them. These things tip in and out of corners so easy it's scary. They're really comfortable at higher speeds, and they've even helped mileage a bit (I'm pulling about 57 mpg). I don't know if the tires have caused this, but my rpm's have gone from 5200 at 65 mph to about 4700 at 65. Haven't figured that out, but I'm happy. These Conti's are a great choice - haven't seen any tire wear on them yet, but I still need to get some serious miles on them to report on that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Doc, I think that sets it for me. The Conti's are gonna be my new rubber when the stockers die. BTW, do you have a fork brace? I just installed a Murph's and it really tightens up the front end and makes the Vee much more sure fitted in turns.

G

·
Conti Rd Attack, Sonic Springs installed...report

Well, after reading the reviews I jumped in and installed the .90 Sonic springs with 15wt Motul Fork oil, raised the forks 15mm in the triple clamps, cranked the rear shock spring pre-load 3/4 of the way to full firm, and mounted the Continental Road Attack tires.

Holy handling Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bike is a 2004 DL650 V-Strom.

These mods have transformed the bike.

The ride quality is even better than before, and the handling is absolutely perfect.

My Murphy brace will go on Wednesday.

Just do it,
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Post once you get the brace. Im looking at the spring/brace mod myself once I get a little extra money.

G

·
Put the Murph's Brace on this morning.

After installing the .90 fork springs and Conti Road Attack tires, just installing the brace after these mods was a subtle change.

Soooo...the springs and tires made a HUGE difference in every way, ride, handling, everything better.

I did detect a high frequency vibration or "buzz" throught the bars and pegs after these mods.

I put the Murph's Brace on this morning and it made the "buzz" disappear and made the bike feel a hair more planted and responsive.

Subtle, yet noticeable difference for the better.

Highly recommended, all.

Cheers.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just Purchased

I just purchased the Conti Road Attacks online from tireexpress.com and hopefully I'll have them next week and have them installed soon. (only went with TE because they were cheapest "according to google" after free shipping.) $260.79 for both tires delivered to my door. I've put over 12,000 miles on the battlewings that were installed last year....they did ok for my style of riding but it was time for a change.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I had the Road Attacks on my DL650 for a track day. They worked really really well. Heated up nice, and very consistent. In 2 days of riding the track, I have no real complaints there. They are terrible on dirt roads, just terrible. This made me realize how good the TrailWings were in comparison, in terms of an all - around tire. Conti Road Attacks are great though, on the pavement.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I love them, put them on at the start of the season last year and enjoyed every ride. Compared to the Battle Wings, for me these are great! But like others I'm pretty much all road riding. I did about 200 miles of superslab yesterday and could hold 70 - 80 (indicated, not actual) without a problem or drama. When I wear these out either I'm going to do a second set or trail the Trail Attacks so I can go off road a little more :).

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just finished mounting a pair of Continental Trail Attacks, and this is my experience.
My stock rear trail wing lasted 6400 miles, till it was worn. The front has still got maybe 1000 miles left at 7400 miles
Mounted the rear tire 1000 miles ago, as the front stock tire was/is still good. After mounting the rear, I felt a deceleration wobble in the front end. I did not notice this for the first 400 miles, untill I took a trip last week, fully loaded with gear. It only happens between about 35 and 45 mph.
The wobble was very noticeable with a full load on the bike, not too noticeable with just me.
Mounted the front Trail Attack, as I thought maybe the combination of stock front and TA rear. had something to do with the wobble (this combination worked well together in both tracking straight and cornering by the way and was not the cause of the wobble), or thought the front tire was wobbling as some worn tires do at the end of their life.(apparently this is not the cause either)
I double checked the rear wheel alignment, chain tension, shock setting, air pressure (41psi), to find the wobble still there, and this week I mounted the front Trail Attack (36psi).
The slight deceleration wobble is still there, no worse or better, and not really noticeable unless you take your hands off the bars. But, happily, I have no shimmy in the front end at any other speeds (so far) like others reported. This wobble must have been caused by the REAR Trail Attack.
Some other things- I had to break the bead twice to adjust the front tire after initially mounting it. At first it took 3/4 oz of weight, which was more than I wanted to put on, so I broke the bead and spun it, and then it took 1oz, so I tried again, and it was down to 1/2oz. which was ok with me. I have to make a 20 minute round trip to the gas station to set the bead each of the three times.
WHY DON'T THEY MARK THE LIGHT SPOT ON THEIR TIRES?!. Mine definitely was not even. The rear tire had taken 3/4 oz of weight on the first try.

All in all, I really like these tires. They grip much better than the stock tires, and seem very sticky for a "trail" tire. I lost confidence in the stock trail wings after the rear slipped a few times when I didn't think it should have. The Trail attacks are very confidence inspiring . The Trail Attacks also fall into, and stand up from corners very fast and effortlessly compared to the Trail Wings. But, they stop and hold a track in the corners just where you want them to. They also hold a track on straight road. If they do not start shimmying at speed as others have reported, and if the slight wobble does not get worse, and if they last longer than the stock tires, I would buy them again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts