StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been researching and searching for Vstroms over the past few months, and finally found a dealer in my area that had one on the floor.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 2019 650XT Touring model. But I'm open to any opinions from the group before I make that decision.

I currently own a 2016 CB500X, it was my first bike when I got my license 3 years ago. I've taken it on a few longer trips, but as much as I value the bike as a nice around town ride, I found I needed more for longer road trips. In all fairness to the CB500 it's not meant to be a touring bike, and is perfect at being a city bike.

Why I'm considering the move to the 650XT? Larger seat height and bigger frame. I'm 6' 200lbs and I feel very big on the CB500. More engine for long trips and highway (650 vs 500). And something that seems a bit more appropriate for touring, seat comfort, built in luggage, engine, etc...

Is the 650XT a nice upgrade from the CB500X for these reasons? Or will the differences be negligible?

I haven't really considered the 1000 or 1050 because I'm still a relatively new rider and don't feel like I need or want a full liter bike and the extra weight that comes with it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm 6'3 300+ and I just bought a DL650. I have owned 1000's for 7 years (2012 and a 2014). I sold my 2014 last Sept. I've been looking around for something to replace it with. The other bikes I'm interested in are either not available yet or very expensive. The suspension is better on the 1000, but I figured for a few hundred dollars I can make the DL650 good enough for me. I actually have to ride it around some before I decide what I need.

I've already bought a bunch of stuff for it and when I'm done it probably will look a lot like my 2014 Vee. I haven't received two key items yet, but I'm trying to get the same tank (Givi XS308) and tail bag (Nelson-Rigg CL1040) that i had on the 1000. I won't believe they actually have them until I receive them.

I have already ordered the Seat Concepts tall seat conversion (1.5" taller). The 650 has a 1" lower seat than the 1000 and the seat to foot peg distance is too close for me on the 650.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

I went from a 2017 CB500F to a 2017 Strom 650 (with a Yamaha T-Max 530 scooter in between). From your post, I think the 650 Vee (or wee as it is often called here) is a logical and worthwhile next step. I'm also 6' and 200 lbs and at some point in my CB500 time, I found myself feeling quite big on the bike. The wee has very nice highway manners and capability and I think you will like the difference in that regard very much. Personally, I would not describe it as negligible.

That was one of the key issues for me when I made my change of M/C. It is, however, heavier, and the fuel economy is not as good as the 500X. But it is a different bike in it's 'niche', or target market, I think. Both are quite simple and both have built a reputation for being very durable, long term, high-mileage bikes.

Also, I think both need some accessories, such as crash bars, skid plate and a decent windshield. So, that is either annoying or good recreational shopping. I added the factory plastic side cases to my Strom and I like them, though there are many opinions about luggage and many good options.

Finally I think one of the important strengths of the V-Stroms, all years and sizes, is that there is an excellent and global community of owners and an extensive range of aftermarket options for many accessories and parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and Welcome!

I went from a 2017 CB500F to a 2017 Strom 650 (with a Yamaha T-Max 530 scooter in between). From your post, I think the 650 Vee (or wee as it is often called here) is a logical and worthwhile next step. I'm also 6' and 200 lbs and at some point in my CB500 time, I found myself feeling quite big on the bike. The wee has very nice highway manners and capability and I think you will like the difference in that regard very much. Personally, I would not describe it as negligible.

That was one of the key issues for me when I made my change of M/C. It is, however, heavier, and the fuel economy is not as good as the 500X. But it is a different bike in it's 'niche', or target market, I think. Both are quite simple and both have built a reputation for being very durable, long term, high-mileage bikes.

Also, I think both need some accessories, such as crash bars, skid plate and a decent windshield. So, that is either annoying or good recreational shopping. I added the factory plastic side cases to my Strom and I like them, though there are many opinions about luggage and many good options.

Finally I think one of the important strengths of the V-Stroms, all years and sizes, is that there is an excellent and global community of owners and an extensive range of aftermarket options for many accessories and parts.
Thanks...I think I'm going to do it. Just have to decide if I'm going to take the 2019 Touring model that my local dealer has or ask them to order me the 2020 ADV model that comes with the metal side cases and a few other "ADV" features.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks...I think I'm going to do it. Just have to decide if I'm going to take the 2019 Touring model that my local dealer has or ask them to order me the 2020 ADV model that comes with the metal side cases and a few other "ADV" features.
My two cents (I have a 1000XT Adventure), the metal side cases are nice, but you can get your own metal side cases or top case for less $$$. There are plenty of options out there. Ex. I went with a Givi top case. It’s just as nice as the Suzuki/SW-Motech side cases, but it was $100 or so less and a bit roomier than the optional Suzuki/SW-Motech top case.

Everything else that comes in the Adventure package could be acquired cheaper outside of the package. Ex. Crash bars.

Even if you spend the extra money on the Adventure package, you’ll still find yourself wanting to improve something about it. Ex. Taller windscreen, wider mirror brackets, better seat, etc. Get the Touring model and upgrade it to suit you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
When I bought my 2014 DL1000, I got the adventure model and then I wished I had just gotten the bare bones one and modified it the way I wanted. To me the decision on the 650 is spoke wheels or not. I chose not to get the spoke wheels, but I bought the other things that came on the XT. I'm buying the crash bars also. The base model plus those three options is slightly less than what the XT costs without crash bars. If you want the spoke wheels the XT is a deal. To make it worth while buying the Adventure you need to want that luggage. If you were going to buy Suzuki's luggage it's cheaper to get it with the Adventure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's hard to know or say what another rider will like best. All we can do is share our experiences, what we like and don't like. Like you, I had a CBX500. I LOVED it. What a nice machine - as you correctly pointed out along with its shortcomings. Which is why I traded up and own a 2019 Wee with the luggage, bars, center stand, etc. This is my 2nd Wee and it is the perfect bike for ME. Yeah, it's taller and heavier but more than makes up for the 500's shortcomings. The Wee is not for everyone but for many of us it checks all the boxes - and then some. IMHO the ownership and riding experience far exceeds the sum of all its parts.

The posts above mine said everything very well. The Wee is extremely capable, dependable and a pleasure to ride. I think you would like the Wee and the trade-up worthwhile.

Be safe and good luck!!!

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I'm on my second DL6550 and I'm 6'4/230ish. I do 10 hr days in the saddle touring this great country and the bike is perfect for it. I would choose hard metal bags for pavement only. If you are going to get off pavement a lot, consider soft bags like Mosko Moto....I absolutely love mine.
As far as those plastic triangle shaped bags Suzuki put on some of the touring models.....just say no. They are small and not what I would consider durable if the bike is dropped...and yes it happens.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My $.02:
I moved from a Ninja 250r to my L3. I am 6', 230lb. I wanted to sit more upright and have the options for better comfort on longer rides. I found a well-farkled DL650A, which first appealed to me because of ABS. It also came with the full set of factory cases, and i love the top box for commuting. The metal side cases are big and bulky for how much stuff I would pack, so I'd rather have a large soft dry bag to strap on the pillion when touring. I did upgrade to a madstad windscreen and have added aux lighting and a Weld86 skidplate. I'm not hitting single track, but I like having some extra protection for the oil filter when I'm on a gravel road. 650 v 1000 is really up to your personal preferences. I didn't need the extra displacement and so far haven't regretted my choice. I don't have any trouble keeping up when riding with people who have more displacement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like the XT Touring version. My '17 standard model came with the small side cases as an incentive, and I find them to be very workable for what I do. I didn't want the spoked wheels. I've added the factory handguards, centerstand, lower plastic engine cover, and will be adding factory "crash" bars soon. So I'll end up with an XT Touring with cast wheels. I'm about your size, and I found I needed bar risers to feel comfortable. This bike is everything I'd hoped for and more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts