StromTrooper banner

Considering purchasing a 2007 DL650 but not sure what "reasonable" pricing is like these days

2352 46
I've been wanting an adventure bike for awhile now but after sitting on a few I've figured out that I'm way too short for the big bikes like the africa twin, and Tenere 700. Today I ran across a 2007 dl650 with 48,000 km on consignment at a local dealer. I can't quite flatfoot it but I can get both toes down fairly comfortable. It has crashbars, skid plate, hand protectors, center stand, 12V cigarette lighter style plug some sort of knobby tires, rear luggage rack and hard cases. I did notice that it has a broken brake handle so I'm assuming the barkbusters were put on after that happened as they looked brand new. Overall the bike looked in good shape. Body work was good, crashbars had some scratches but nothing horrible, tires looked close to new. I didn't start it up or test drive as the weather really sucked today.

What I'm having trouble figuring out is the pricing. It's listed for $5500 Canadian. A brand new 650XAA is $12400. Wouldn't a 2007 have fallen further in price in the last 15 years or am I just out of touch with what used bikes cost these days? Is there anything specific I should be looking for if/when I go back to look at the bike? know problem areas and the such?

<EDIT> I've been researching based on my picture I took. Crashbars and sidecase mounts look to be Givi, the skidplate looks to be Cosmo, the hand protectors are barkbusters. Tires are Mitas possibly the E-07+ ENDURO TRAIL
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been wanting an adventure bike for awhile now but after sitting on a few I've figured out that I'm way too short for the big bikes like the africa twin, and Tenere 700. Today I ran across a 2007 dl650 with 48,000 km on consignment at a local dealer. I can't quite flatfoot it but I can get both toes down fairly comfortable. It has crashbars, skid plate, hand protectors, center stand, 12V cigarette lighter style plug some sort of knobby tires, rear luggage rack and hard cases. I did notice that it has a broken brake handle so I'm assuming the barkbusters were put on after that happened as they looked brand new. Overall the bike looked in good shape. Body work was good, crashbars had some scratches but nothing horrible, tires looked close to new. I didn't start it up or test drive as the weather really sucked today.

What I'm having trouble figuring out is the pricing. It's listed for $5500 Canadian. A brand new 650XAA is $12400. Wouldn't a 2007 have fallen further in price in the last 15 years or am I just out of touch with what used bikes cost these days? Is there anything specific I should be looking for if/when I go back to look at the bike? know problem areas and the such?

<EDIT> I've been researching based on my picture I took. Crashbars and sidecase mounts look to be Givi, the skidplate looks to be Cosmo, the hand protectors are barkbusters. Tires are Mitas possibly the E-07+ ENDURO TRAIL
Hi,

I’ve got no idea of prices but if you’re tippy toe you need ABS!

A few nice bikes for sale on the forum by vstrom owners. :)

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Hi,

I’ve got no idea of prices but if you’re tippy toe you need ABS!

A few nice bikes for sale on the forum by vstrom owners. :)
Out of curiosity what does being on tippytoes have to do with ABS? I found more often than not when applying the brakes at a speed where ABS would activate my feet are firmly on the pegs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Only deals are when we get a good recession . I ended up paying $8400 for a 2017 wee with 8k miles on it. and about 1k worth of xtras. Top case,windshield ,skid plate ,new tires ,inspected, etc. They had a new one for $9200.But I would have paid another 1k for setup, dest charges. Did I get a deal? No way ,but this market stinks right now. Everyone thinks they have a gold mine, like $4k for a POS 1975 Honda 350 that has not been started in 20yrs. So here we are 4 mths later and I do not regret my purchase. I have put 5k miles on it ,it runs like a top ,and uses zero oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Seems a high price for a model that is now 15-16 years old. Get the 2012+ model. Way better and I am sure similar pricing.
Peter
N.Z

41 - 47 of 47 Posts