StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are the side cases plastic or metal? I know people say that farkles don't matter, but if it has $1000 (USD) worth of side cases, that makes a big difference...at least it did to me when I bought my bike.

In my neck of the woods, that asking price is not completely out of line for a 650, but for that price you might be able to get something with less miles/km (ignoring cases, crash bars, etc.). The DL1000 always goes for less and seems to take longer to sell on our used market.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
About 7 years ago, I sold my ‘07 Wee, with about 35,000 miles, for $2,500. Bike was unfarkled, but in good condition.

This thread has me wondering what my ‘14 Wee2 Adventure, with 14K miles, and in great condition, is worth…

🙂

Reactions: NeverSatisfied

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
There are 3 DL650's for sale on CycleTrader within 500 miles of my location in VA
$3699-$4300
$5500 Canadian dollars is about $4100
This bike near Buffalo, NY would be the best value, as it has similar accessories: crash bars, bark busters, luggage racks.
There are bikes globally for exceptional deals if the buyer is open to them. Unfortunately, most buyers want bikes next door or closer. I've gotten exceptional deals because I was willing to commit sight unseen and hundreds or thousands of miles away and willing to work/pay for a shipper.

Most buyers want hands on and not willing to take a risk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I'm in BC as well. I've been watching bike prices for awhile but was under the delusion that some of the bigger bikes were tall but it wouldn't be too bad. I sat on a tiger 800 and with one foot on my toes the other was almost 8" off the ground. That called for a quick change of plans and I sat on the vstrom next and it's reasonable... I just hadn't been looking at them before so prices especially on 15 year old bikes seemed really high.
i hear ya. Been out on turkey trails twice and riding partner tippie toes his KLR. He has dropped it twice. I’m 6’4” with a 36” inseam and can stand/straddle the Vstrom when things get dicey. Never say never but I’m happy giving up some legroom for ability to stay vertical.
I bought bike with lowering links I obviously don’t need, depending on where you are and what you get might part with them (was gonna just keep them for the next guy).

·
Registered
686 Posts
There are bikes globally for exceptional deals if the buyer is open to them. Unfortunately, most buyers want bikes next door or closer. I've gotten exceptional deals because I was willing to commit sight unseen and hundreds or thousands of miles away and willing to work/pay for a shipper.

Most buyers want hands on and not willing to take a risk
Agreed. I bought my '09 Wee in 2013 from a dealer in North Carolina and had it shipped. I had looked for several months and when this one showed up, I pulled the trigger without hesitation as it was priced right. Bought my wife's Honda Nighthawk 250 the same way...saw a couple of pictures, called the seller, made the deal with it shipped to Virginia from Connecticut. Again, priced right for sale.
You could probably ship a bike coast-to-coast in the US for $600 if you are not pressed for time. $400-$500 should cover a regional transport.
I'm not sure what crossing an international border would do to those numbers, however.

Reactions: Marmora

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
785 Posts
Farkles like side cases may mean something to one person and nothing to another. I don't want/need them so they have no value other than what I could sell them for or keep until time to release the bike, which might be a long time. My Strom came with the ugly OEM huge rear trunk that's been on the shelf since day one of my ownership.
One guys needs are another guys excess. Equipment that you desire, if already installed, is money saved. If not wanted, it's just extra baggage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Farkles like side cases may mean something to one person and nothing to another. I don't want/need them so they have no value other than what I could sell them for or keep until time to release the bike, which might be a long time. My Strom came with the ugly OEM huge rear trunk that's been on the shelf since day one of my ownership.
One guys needs are another guys excess. Equipment that you desire, if already installed, is money saved. If not wanted, it's just extra baggage.
Definitely see what you mean. However, the cases that came with my bike sell for $900 new, so even if I didn’t want them I probably could have sold them for $600. In the context of a $4000 bike, that’s significant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah I'm personally not a fan of hardcases and haven't seen the ones included on this bike as they weren't installed when it was at the dealership. They'd only affect price based on what I figure I can sell them for. The rest of the farkles however are things I'd be adding if the bike was stock.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,384 Posts
It's not a ridiculous price and it's not a great price. You could do much worse. I would be more influenced by a ride and a close inspection under the seat and in the cowl to see if any of the wiring looks toasted, or any substantial amount of sketchy wiring from the PO. If it starts good and rides good, I would have no problem offering 1,000 bucks less as an opening bid.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Reactions: NeverSatisfied

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wait till the mortgage crunch comes.
with the US midterms done ( or are they still counting somewhere? ) are we allowed to admit we're in a recession now?

there's going to be some great deals in the coming years, houses, boats, cars , bikes, first born.....

from your local comparison it would appear they're in the ballpark. don't forget the dealer is trying to earn a buck too, so maybe going with a private sale can save you a buck or two.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have now lived long enough to see this happen twice.Just couldn’t believe how fast people bought up toys etc. The piper will be paid.In my younger years it might have been me.There will be .

what the heck am l doing?Everyone together now , I don’t want no pickle…..

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
and you may not think you need the hard cases but you never know when you could use them. especially if they have a quick release system. I can have my cases on or off in a minute or so
My Mosko's are quick release.

racks are compatible with some soft panniers. My rack system alone was over $800.00 . I too thought l didn’t want side bags.They never come off.q
Yep, Mosko's are compatible with the oem racks:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion but, What type of “Adventure” riding are you planning on doing? If you plan on doing off road riding more challenging than a dry dirt or gravel road, I would consider a lighter bike. Can more difficult off road be done? Yes, but I do not see that as one of the bikes strengths. It Is just too heavy. Just my opinion. On road it is wonderful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Watch a couple of youtube videos of 5'4 women riding GS1200's. Bike is not too tall if you know how to ride it. Whether it is a good deal or not is determined by you and you alone. If you are willing to pay what they are asking, and it has what you want and it is located where you want, it really does not matter what other "deals" might be out there. If you need a great "deal", I picked up an 06 and an 07 (yes I have 2) over the last couple of years for between $2200 and $2900 US. With Givi bags, skidplates, mad-stad brackets, trunks, heated grips and aftermarket seats. Both with less than 20,000 miles on them. Shop around, and then travel to where the best deal is and drive or trailer it home. Or just buy it close by, and be happy with the deal.

·
Registered
2008 DL 650, Yellow
51 Posts
I’m in northern California and that sounds a bit high for the market here. I bought a. 08 DL 650 for $3000 aboy6 months ago. It had 22,000 mikes on it and was in great condition. I know prices are by region but its still possible to find deal like mine here if you buy from an indivisual.

Good luck with your search.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts