StromTrooper banner

Considering purchasing a 2007 DL650 but not sure what "reasonable" pricing is like these days

2054 46
I've been wanting an adventure bike for awhile now but after sitting on a few I've figured out that I'm way too short for the big bikes like the africa twin, and Tenere 700. Today I ran across a 2007 dl650 with 48,000 km on consignment at a local dealer. I can't quite flatfoot it but I can get both toes down fairly comfortable. It has crashbars, skid plate, hand protectors, center stand, 12V cigarette lighter style plug some sort of knobby tires, rear luggage rack and hard cases. I did notice that it has a broken brake handle so I'm assuming the barkbusters were put on after that happened as they looked brand new. Overall the bike looked in good shape. Body work was good, crashbars had some scratches but nothing horrible, tires looked close to new. I didn't start it up or test drive as the weather really sucked today.

What I'm having trouble figuring out is the pricing. It's listed for $5500 Canadian. A brand new 650XAA is $12400. Wouldn't a 2007 have fallen further in price in the last 15 years or am I just out of touch with what used bikes cost these days? Is there anything specific I should be looking for if/when I go back to look at the bike? know problem areas and the such?

<EDIT> I've been researching based on my picture I took. Crashbars and sidecase mounts look to be Givi, the skidplate looks to be Cosmo, the hand protectors are barkbusters. Tires are Mitas possibly the E-07+ ENDURO TRAIL
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Back in 2012 I bought an '06 with 1/3 the mileage and paid $3,900 US, which in 2022 dollars is about $5,000 USD / $6,700 CAD. Mine had crash bars, a centerstand, top case, new tires, was garage kept in exceptional shape.

I want to say that asking price is high, but it all depends on your local market. Look for comparable vehicles listed nearby and get a feel for the market.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The accessories add very little to the value. I'd consider that overpriced at that age no matter how nice the bike. I spent 7k AU on a 2014 DL1000 with 7000k's on it several years ago. (From a dealer out of state as well). I could be wrong, but check the online marketplaces to get a feel for what they are going for.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yep, overpriced and farkles add little value. Mileage good on that one though. Nice tires, but they make bike a bit taller. I put lowering links on mine (get adjustable ones, because even a half inch helps) and adjusted height of front end. Also temoved seat bumpers. 650 is pretty bullet proof.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
$5500 CAD = $4099 USD. I would consider the price to be high but not grossly overpriced. If you like the bike, is it really a big deal if you overpay by a few hundred dollars? Of course, patience will always pay off, but it may take a months or year to find "that" bike,

·
Registered
753 Posts
It is sadly the reality of post-pandemic pricing. Everything recreational still seems to be carrying a serious premium. My first V-Strom 650 was an 07 650 very similarly equipped and with just a bit less milage, purchased in Barrie Ontario for $4,000 in late 2018. It was a decent deal at the time compared to other local listings. I agree the price is high, but I doubt you'll find much better. If your financial situation allows you to spend that money without worry, I'd grab it.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
784 Posts
As a reference, I paid $2500US for my 2007 650 w/26k miles. I added the Cosmo skid plate ($180) and repurposed the CanAm Spyder bags. Came with a OEM rear box, no side panniers needed a rear tire. Not mint but good shape.
Buying in January in northern MN is usually bargain time, especially when the owner has just bought a new snowmobile.😉
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
685 Posts
I know the prevailing wisdom is that accessories add little value, but a bike pushing the high side of 15 years old is getting much more expensive to outfit with things like crash bars and skid plates. Those items alone will set you back $400-$500.
Even a used set of sidecase mounts are going to run $100-$150
Stroms are reasonably bulletproof and if well-maintained, that price isn't unreasonable in today's market.
Tell the dealer you want a new brake lever installed and pay the freight. You are not likely to find much better in the way of deals--even in November. Pricing will go up--not down--in the Spring.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I have bought and sold a few bikes and have found that the "winter" deals are mostly an old wives' tale. I know I have never discounted a bike due to the season and I've also gotten some of my best deals in peak riding season.

A lot of sellers grossly overprice their bikes somehow thinking they are worth more in spring/summer and when they don't sell and the seasons change, they lower the price trying to get them to move.

If you price them right, they sell no matter if it 80 degrees and sunny or in the middle of a blizzard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
started looking at others that are currently for sale that are reasonably close.

$4200 2009 61,000km (DL1000)- crashbars, rear rack
$5400 2007 46,000km (DL650) - crashbars, home made skid, rear rack and hard cases ( very similar to the one I'm looking at)
$5500 2007 48,000km (DL650) - This is the one I was looking at
$5500 2006 32,000km (DL1000) - skid plate, crashbars, lots of accessories but needs out of province inspection which can be easy or can really suck
$7500 2009 17,000km (DL650A) - looks mint, rear rack and hard cases
$8000 2017 9,800km (DL650) - looks mint, OEM rear cases, crash guards, center stand, bark busters, skid plate,.... now that I see this one it's quite interesting. Just wish it had spoked wheels which is also not on the one I looked at...
$10000 2020 2,500km - (DL650A) - looks stock barebones
$10500 2018 22,000km - (DK 650A) - skid, crash bars, hard cases, bark busters center stand
$10500 2018 40,000km (DL1000XT) - skid, crash bars, hard cases, heated grips
$19000 2021 300km (DL1050) - new in showroom completely loaded .... I can't afford this for a toy but it is pretty

·
Registered
9 Posts
That’s a wide range of pricing, you need to determine your budget first and narrow down your searching. Sounds a lot like you are in Canada like me but the pricing will range dependant on province. I recently bought a 04 650 in BC with 65k, crash bars, 12v plug, 3 givi hard bags, hand warmers and guards but I will be investing in more toys to make my own. It needed tires and fork seals, but after getting those done I’m into it for about 2500 cdn as the previous owner really just wanted it out of his garage, by the time I’m done making it “mine” it’ll be about 3k. I see tons of other ones out there around the 4-5000 cdn mark and every now and then I still get an alert for 2500’ish but those come and go pretty quick. Personally, I wouldn’t pay more than 3K cdn then add your own touches and if you have cash in hand and some walk-away patience im sure watching the ads you can get it before next spring. I don’t buy the spring/winter thing right now either as Covid caused inflated prices everywhere on toys but the recession right now and into the spring will bring things back to normal levels.

·
Registered
2015 Vstrom 1000
57 Posts
Spend what your comfortable with. Look around maybe you’ll find a deal otherwise save and maybe you’ll scoop a deal in the spring. It’s harder to do in the spring cause of the itch and more Competition. Sellers tend to push their prices up then.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I don't know what/how you'll be using the bike, so take this with the "Grain of salt." First off, how do YOU define adventure?
If you're going to go where aggressive tires will take you, & can just reach the ground on your toes, it will be a hand full.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Winter deals are a thing. I have purchased 3 bikes at 27 degrees which seems to be my magic temperature.
Heck one day in the middle of winter I had a feller come over to look at R1200GSA I was selling. He liked the bike and asked if I could do any better on price. I said nope the price is firm. He then looked over at another R1200GS I had for sale and asked how much for it and if he bought both would I discount the price. I told him the price and again told him nope, no volume discount. He said "okay" and then said he take then both for the full asking price.

If you price them right, you don't have to negotiate. Trust me I love selling stuff, but I hate endless negotiating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know what/how you'll be using the bike, so take this with the "Grain of salt." First off, how do YOU define adventure?
If you're going to go where aggressive tires will take you, & can just reach the ground on your toes, it will be a hand full.
As much as I'd love to picture myself riding around the world in the middle of nowhere, realistically the bike will be 95% commuting with hopefully longer trips on the weekend and the plan is some of them will be gravel/rough logging roads. So adventure means off pavement but I don't need an enduro... I wasn't completely flat footing it but with my boots on which give me 1/2" I'll be pretty close. I'm sure the weight of it will be something that I'll need to adjust to riding but I'm not concerned about lifting it when I flop it. I'm not tall but I can squat more than the bike weighs wet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds a lot like you are in Canada like me but the pricing will range dependant on province.
Yeah I'm in BC as well. I've been watching bike prices for awhile but was under the delusion that some of the bigger bikes were tall but it wouldn't be too bad. I sat on a tiger 800 and with one foot on my toes the other was almost 8" off the ground. That called for a quick change of plans and I sat on the vstrom next and it's reasonable... I just hadn't been looking at them before so prices especially on 15 year old bikes seemed really high.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts