StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here. I'm looking at a 2014 V-Strom ABS Adventure, my first adventure bike, and want to see if this sounds like a good deal (I don't know anything about V-Stroms or their market). It has engine guards, hand guards, Enduro Guardian skid plate, hard saddle bags, fork brace, center stand, off-road pegs and new looking K60's. Looks really clean and has less than 2,700 miles. Owner is asking $5,500. What say the experts? :confused::fineprint:

I'll jetison the hard bags for GL Coyote/Mosko Reckless or Mosko saddle bags. What are the hard Suzuki bags worth?

Thanks,

Dude

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
The price sounds right for the year. To me it all comes down to the condition and maintenance. I’d get the VIN and ask a dealer if the stator recall has been addressed. So long as it’s maintained and not beat to hell you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
What is it, a 650 or a 1000?

I assume the bags are the oem "small rounded" ones, not the large angular ones? The small rounded ones are not very popular, because they are small. They are good for commuting (narrow) but not good for touring in most owners view. So not a huge resale value.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I assume the bags are the oem "small rounded" ones, not the large angular ones? The small rounded ones are not very popular, because they are small. They are good for commuting (narrow) but not good for touring in most owners view. So not a huge resale value.
Square with angled corners (like a chamfer).

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

The squared ones should be sellable if you sell the brackets with them. Assume 50% of new price, maybe even less. Shipping will be a ----.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
The 2014 DL650 Adventure is a great bike. The price for the one in the OP is very reasonable, and the mileage is just barely above broken in. Assuming it has been properly taken care of it sizes up to be a good deal.

The recalls (stator, and possibly the cams) are at no cost to the owner. Not all 2014's had to have the cam recall done, but if the one under consideration required it, the dealer probably did the cams before the bike left the showroom. I took mine back by appointment for the stator recall.

Personally, I like the hard bags. They came OEM with the bike and I see no reason to dispose of them and switch to something else.

The thing is an absolute blast to ride.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Since this is posted in the DL650A - 2012-2016 Forum, it's a 650.
Then the price is too high. The low mileage is no real selling point. I would be concerned that the bike sat most of the time, unless it was a leftover sold more recently.

5 year old tires, brake fluid … etc. At least those replacement cost need to come off the price.

·
Registered
325 Posts
OP said the bike had a fork brace, so that tells me it's a 650. Haven't seen a fork brace offered for the V2 yet, probably due to the added stability the inverted fork on the V2 has.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
And he said "New looking K60". Not nesseserly 5 years old...Even if, , what's wrong with 5 years old tires? With all that farkles and low mileage $5000 should be fair to you and the seller.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
If you are not planning to go off road often keep OEM panniers. Specially that you won't get for them more than Mosko will cost you. Perhaps less in fact. Get the top case (but not OEM aluminum one) for everyday use.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
And he said "New looking K60". Not nesseserly 5 years old...Even if, , what's wrong with 5 years old tires? With all that farkles and low mileage $5000 should be fair to you and the seller.
The K60 fact did pass me by, good point. I would not want to ride on old tires, I always check the production date on each tire, but that is just me ….

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
Two of the 'strom.

One of my favorites. Rode to work in the sunshine, but rode home in the rain.

On a sunny day last summer. Personally, I consider any bike over 350 lbs to be a "street bike dressed out in adventure drag," but the DL does okay on improved dirt. So one of the reasons I wanted the DL650 is because I didn't want to have to turn around when I got to a dirt road.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just like that!

Two of the 'strom.

One of my favorites. Rode to work in the sunshine, but rode home in the rain.

On a sunny day last summer. Personally, I consider any bike over 350 lbs to be a "street bike dressed out in adventure drag," but the DL does okay on improved dirt. So one of the reasons I wanted the DL650 is because I didn't want to have to turn around when I got to a dirt road.

Sorry if the 2nd pic in quote is HUGE, I didn't change anything but don't know how to change the scale.

The one I'm looking at looks just like this minus the top box. I just hate how WIDE the ass is with the hard bags. I just know I'll be knocking them into stuff (other peoples cars most likely :headbang:)

No serious off-road stuff planned. Mostly touring, dirt/gravel roads, maybe some atv trail stuff. Every once in a while I'm sure I'll find myself in s#@& I didn't plan to get in to so it will be what it will be. I'd like to do some of the BDR's and easier parts of TAT (I know smaller bikes with much stronger dirt influence are better there).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts