Strom Trooper banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Why do you like or what do you like about the VStrom? Are you looking new or used? There are a lot of great used bikes out there f/s.

In general "adventure" bikes handle a lot better than what people think. Wide bar and upright seating make them much more natural to ride. I can ride them faster through TOTD type twisties faster and more confidently than I can on a Sport bike. Even with panniers and gear for a week.

One thing an adventure bike will not be is a 10,000 RPM screaming I-4 sport bike. My BMW R1200GS will keep up with sport bikes until about triple digits then they start waking away from me.

So now back to new verses used. In June I bought a 2007 R1200GS with Ohlins shocks, Touratech Zega panniers extra set of Ohlins shocks, two Bros muffler, 2 skid plates and some other misc stuff with 31,000 miles on the ODO for $5,300.

I sold the extra Ohlins, 1 skid plate, aftermarket muffler and panniers (kept the racks and mounting hardware) bringing the cost of the bike down to $3,800. I did buy a set of Tusk panniers for $254. So in the end with a little leg work I got a great bike for not a whole lot of money. Deals are out there you just need to be ready when they present themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
What I love about my 2018 DL1000 is the available and useable power/torque at low RPMs. I'll take available/useable over peak any day. I ride in the 2.5-4.5k RPM range and have a blast on that bike. Rarely wind it out. No way I would trade my v2 for a sport bike... I've ridden enough of them and just don't like them anymore after adjusting to riding the vstrom.

I bet, if you had them both in your garage for a year, you would end up riding the DL1000 80+% of the time and selling the other.

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
Torque is sweet ...loved the CBF1000 for that ....pull hard from 3k in any gear. I'll trade peak HP for better torque any day.
One thing that made the Burgman 650 punch above its weight in the twists,....always in the correct power zone due to the ECVT.

I'd imagine less gear stirring on the 1000....was one bike the Burgman could not keep up with in mid range acceleration...the 1000 just pulled away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There are some very reasonably priced 2104+ Strom 1000's in my area. I'm hearing all the right things, and I think I'm going to take the plunge and put my CBR up for sale this week. Thank you all for the feedback!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think you’ll be impressed. It’s very good in he turns. My other bike is a bmw s1000rr and the strom will handle just as well as the s1k. It’s a whole different story in the straights. Before I changed ecu’s Top end was 113. The complimentary Ecu bumped that up to about 140. It did move the torque. There is a little less at the bottom now. So slow in the straights but fast in the turns. The riding position was a relief too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've taken a few bikes out for a quick spin, including the Versys 650, V Strom 1000, and Multistrada 1200 (not financially feasible). I couldn't quite get a full feel for the bikes due to limited time spent riding. I really like the V Strom, but I'm slightly worried that it won't be a satisfying enough bike when the road gets twisty.
If you could not get a full feel for the bikes on a test ride, listening to other peoples' opinions of a Suzi is ludicrous. Especially when you don't know them personally. If a dealer will not let you take a longer test ride, ask about renting a bike for the day. Alternatively, find someone who will ride with you and swap bikes for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Depends how twisty and lumpy the roads are. Pick your spot and you can embarrass your (ex) friends on sports bikes. Tight lumpy and long downhill sections are where it has the biggest advantage.

But as said, it's not a sports bike and they'll pass you with ease on the straights.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Depends how twisty and lumpy the roads are. Pick your spot and you can embarrass your (ex) friends on sports bikes. Tight lumpy and long downhill sections are where it has the biggest advantage.

But as said, it's not a sports bike and they'll pass you with ease on the straights.

You touch on a good point. The longer-travel suspension on an "Adventure" bike will soak up gawdawful roads a lot better and still keep the tires planted. I've been on plenty of roads where streetbikes need to slow down to keep from bottoming or chattering into the weeds.

There are some really primitive paved(ish) back roads where I can maintain Ludicrous Speed on my KLR650 and keep giggling, but are too much for even the mighty Vee.

And who cares about the straights, especially on the street? Any numbnuts can yank the throttle wires open when the road turns straight.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Pretty much everyone in here has the right thoughts on this, all good advice.

I came from a ZX9, mostly due to comfort and a bad back. I definitely miss the "rip your arms off" power as someone said, as well as the smooth power through the band, but that was early on. Im used to it now. The DL1000 does all i ask it, and its a blast in tight turns. It might miss a little acceleration, but really its just a fun bike to ride.

Sitting up high is nice and comfortable. Sometimes that can be a blessing or a curse for your back depending on the condition. When my back was really bad it was nice having the sportbike to use the arms to take some pressure off. The way my back is now, im great. I dont miss the ZX9 at all, and a ride about 10 times as much just due to the fun and increased comfort.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm a current sport bike owner who is strongly considering swapping my bike for an adventure bike. My CBR600F4i is a great bike, but I'm looking for something more distance capable and comfortable(back problems). Exploring some light off-road would be cool, too. Realistically, I'm mostly going to be keeping it on-road, and the ability to carve through canyons is something I really appreciate. I've taken a few bikes out for a quick spin, including the Versys 650, V Strom 1000, and Multistrada 1200 (not financially feasible). I couldn't quite get a full feel for the bikes due to limited time spent riding. I really like the V Strom, but I'm slightly worried that it won't be a satisfying enough bike when the road gets twisty.

What's been your experience with the bike? Of course it's not a sport bike, but is it fun to put through a set of corners? I don't need to be the fastest guy on the mountain, I just want to have a good time and feel like the bike is working with me. Likewise, is the engine fun when pushing hard down a twisty road? It's obviously very different from what I'm used to, and I just want to make sure that it's enjoyable to ride in a sporty manner. This bike has the practical stuff covered in spades, which is why it's high on my list. I would just like owners opinions of the less practical side of the bike. Thanks for your feedback.
I love mine in the twisties, I have Avon Spirit ST road tires on it right now and upgraded the suspension, the handling is amazing! I don't think you will be disappointed. The torque of the 1000 comes on very low making it a lot of fun in the twisties, but it will not have the top end of a sport bike.

You may however be happier with something like a VFR800 or even something like a BMW K1300S. They might be more what you are looking for.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Last motorcycles I had was a Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird and a 2006 Kawasaki Concours. After I bought my 2008 Suzuki V Strom DL1000 and set it up the way I like it, I sold them both.
I've been very happy with the Suzuki DL1000.

I sport with it, take quick trips to the store and take long day rides with it. For me it's a fun practical bike. The DL1000 is tall with a 19 inch front wheel. To some it might feel anemic in the corners. on the street.

Because it's lighter 236 kg (520 lb) vs Kawasaki at 306 kg (675 lb) or Honda at 260 kg (575 lb). I have Staintune slip-on mufflers, I lost 15 lbs so I'm at 233 kg (515 lb ) Curb weight.

I feel the lighter weight helps with the flick-a-bility in corners.

I love my V Strom. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. :smile2:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Read up on some “Vstrom vs Versys” comparisons.
In terms of the “sport-touring” spectrum, Vstrom leans a little more to the Touring side, whereas the Versys leans a little more to the Sport side.
The Triumph Tiger 1050 and the Yamaha FJ-09 you should also check out, both a little sportier than the Vstroms.
My F4i is a dedicated track bike now, I can’t do the sport bikes on the street anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I'm a current sport bike owner who is strongly considering swapping my bike for an adventure bike. My CBR600F4i is a great bike, but I'm looking for something more distance capable and comfortable(back problems). Exploring some light off-road would be cool, too. Realistically, I'm mostly going to be keeping it on-road, and the ability to carve through canyons is something I really appreciate. I've taken a few bikes out for a quick spin, including the Versys 650, V Strom 1000, and Multistrada 1200 (not financially feasible). I couldn't quite get a full feel for the bikes due to limited time spent riding. I really like the V Strom, but I'm slightly worried that it won't be a satisfying enough bike when the road gets twisty.

What's been your experience with the bike? Of course it's not a sport bike, but is it fun to put through a set of corners? I don't need to be the fastest guy on the mountain, I just want to have a good time and feel like the bike is working with me. Likewise, is the engine fun when pushing hard down a twisty road? It's obviously very different from what I'm used to, and I just want to make sure that it's enjoyable to ride in a sporty manner. This bike has the practical stuff covered in spades, which is why it's high on my list. I would just like owners opinions of the less practical side of the bike. Thanks for your feedback.
A lot depends on personal preferences, but I think the Stroms are great bikes in the twisties. Like most bikes, they benefit from the right tires and some suspension work, but given that they can be a joy. A few years back I took both the Strom and a Ducati 848 out to the Deals Gap area, I actually enjoyed the Strom more, and spent more time on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The opinions you are asking for here are mostly subjective and the replies are all good and well thought out. You are looking to get off a bike that is focused on handling and speed because the overall experience is not working for you anymore.
I recently swapped a 150 HP sport touring bike for the '18 DL1000 and have no regrets whatsoever. It does most things very well, but not great. Very predictable and that's a good thing. That's the subjective part. After a short or all day ride, I'm thinking, man, that was enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I haven't ridden a newer DL 1000. Mine's an '06. As Richland Rick said in an early post, I love the torque and acceleration of my DL. I've owned faster bikes. There's something about blowing away riders on their sport bikes on the Wednesday Night Rides here locally that warms my heart. Track days are a little frustrating, having R1s go by like my engine died but overall it's a fun bike. I've modded my engine some and now have 100 HP at the rear wheel. Not sport bike stuff, but fun. Someone said that they sound like a tractor. Mine sounds more like a Ducati at the Superbike races. When sporting around, and as an old member Bareman used to say, the rev limiter is your shift indicator. Use it! My wife says I can have any bike I want but I haven't found a suitable replacement bike in over 10 years. Comfortable, capable and quick enough. I don't have "chicken strips" on my rear tire. I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I haven't ridden a newer DL 1000. ... My wife says I can have any bike I want but I haven't found a suitable replacement bike in over 10 years. Comfortable, capable and quick enough.
Find a way to ride a 2014+ version and your search will be over. :wink2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a path similar to yours. After spinal surgery a couple of years ago my neck doesn't bend back like it did. Riding my Honda CBR600 F3 was painful. This summer I did a lot of research and test rode a brand new leftover 2017 650 V Strom. It was love at first ride. The upright position was comfortable and it has a perfect, torquey motor. While it's down 20 horsepower from the CBR I'll get 5 back when I install the Akrapovic. Most of my riding is around town and in the twisties of the Kettle Moraine. It handles very well, seems like a big moto bike, and is fairly flickable. I'm very happy that I made the switch.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts