StromTrooper banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Testing the Tiger XRx

Time to catch up on my testing, sorry I have been away playing with motorcycles and ignoring this thread.

My local Honda dealer which let me ride an nc700x also sells Triumph and allowed me the opportunity to take a Tiger XRx for a blast. (and blast it is!!) Oh, and gorgeous too, you are paying for it but she is pretty. Almost too pretty to take in the dirt...NAH! Getting a pretty tiger dirty should be fun.

So I throw a leg over the Tiger and this bike is friggin tall! I get back off, unlock the seat, play with the funny height adjuster and... WOW, this bike fits me perfect. All seats should be adjustable like this, other MFG's pay attention. She feels a bit heavy up top but heavy up top is Beautiful to some people! ;) This bike also appears substantially larger thanks to the size of the tank/fairing/dash area.

The basic controls are all I dealt with, I set the Electronics for ROAD mode and left it there since this is a test ride and I will not be leaving the pavement anyway. The controls also felt in the "correct" position, no surprises, everything where it should be. Pull the clutch lever, thumb the throttle and THAT IS AN AWESOME SOUND! I really like the sound of this bike and it only sounds better when in gear and under load.

Again, this is the same dealer as I rode the used wee so they are in a bad area for streets and traffic. Similarly, I wanted to feel comfortable enough not to wreck his bike so I got acquainted with it in the parking lot.

(again, note to self, there are ZERO miles on this bike, there was no mechanic test ride, be careful) <--- I should probably ask about this.

I put it in gear, let out the clutch slowly and accelerated without hesitation. The clutch and throttle provide plenty of feedback and the Tiger is easy to manage. I quickly felt very comfortable with the power output but felt the engine was a bit buzzy. Rolling around in the parking lot, this bike is easily managed, somewhere in between the wee and V2. I was sitting on top of it with the big front end, I felt "In Command" of the vehicle. Three loops and a figure 8 later, I felt ready for the road.

I wait for an opportunity to squeeze out into traffic, let out the clutch, twist the throttle and whoosh. Power! Man this thing can move. Light and powerful With as much power as the V2 (delivered more cleanly) and less weight, you do the math. The butt dyno says this get the acceleration check mark so far. But I must say, there is a lot of vibration is the handlebars, not sure yet but it doesn't take long to figure out.

I went through downtown and having the pretty Tiger beneath me was ego boosting. While I am thinking I look like a knight in shining armor, the girls walking around are probably thinking, "look at the old fat guy on the rich kid's bike".

Anyway, I went to the stretch of curvy road beneath East Rock with the ruts and potholes. The Tiger eat that stuff for breakfast and said "what else you got big boy?". I said, tons of tar snakes. The reply was "who cares?!", maybe it is the tires but it was like the snakes didn't exist. the Tiger's handling and suspension are the bees knees. (Thought to self... Why do I need to take my hands off the handlebars and get the blood flowing?)

While I know this is not necessary, I made my way over to the same stretch of highway I took the Zooks/nc700 so I could compare the power up the big hill. There is a couple miles of semi-curvy four lane highway before I get to Heroes Tunnel and then the hill just after it. The Tiger has a nice power distribution and pulls hard everywhere. IMHO, it likes to run between 4500 and 5500 RPMs. 5K is the happy place for the motor, but my hands were numb after just 1 mile on the highway as this motor is way to buzzy between 4750 and 5250. It was hard to judge everything else but I tried my best. It felt good on the highway, but all the zooks felt more planted. Through the tunnel and up the hill, no hesitation as expected, the Tiger ate that hill up and spit it out.

I get off the highway, pull over and gets the feeling back in my hands. YMMV but to me, that sucks. This bike had just done everything right, but just shy of $13K, it should not vibrate like this. How can you enjoy a motorcycle if your hands are numb? From here, I just went straight back to the dealer. The dealer (Libby's Motoworld) offered another ride on nc700x, which I took. Verified everything I stated in my earlier review, the nc700x is a great bike for commuting and occasional weekend fun time.

In summary (and IMO): The Tiger XRx is an awesome machine, well designed and gorgeous with lots of gadgets/electronics (which I did not get to use) and has price tag that resembles it. If it didn't shake my hands off my wrist, I would have bought it immediately.

After test riding five bikes (f800gs, dl650 (gen 1 and 2), dl1000, nc700x, and Tiger XRx), the DL650 would be my Goldwing's partner in the garage. One more ride before I decide, the Versys 650.

Spoiler alert:

I already rode the Versys, just have not posted the review. I also already purchased a Glee so the test ride review will be a bit uneventful. Hopefully I can keep it interesting.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Iffykid, Thought you were lost. I should post the 2015 Versys test ride review this weekend. That said, I am loving the mistress. ;) Could be new bike syndrome, maybe not. It is fun to ride. I will also be posting a full review of the new strom soon.

·
Administrator
16,595 Posts
Iffykid, Thought you were lost. I should post the 2015 Versys test ride review this weekend. That said, I am loving the mistress. ;) Could be new bike syndrome, maybe not. It is fun to ride. I will also be posting a full review of the new strom soon.
Glad you are liking your new mistress, and I too am rather enjoying mine as well. I have always been the 1000 guy and other big bore machines, but I am thoroughly enjoying the less weight and smoothness of my XT. Plenty of power and get up and go "actually pleasantly surprised me", and the gear box and smoothness overall is just awesome!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Been lurking around.
Finally got a test ride in on 2012 Adventure 14,000 miles $5800

Givi Airflow windshield (no buffet at 80 indicated)
Yann's Skid Plate and Highway Bars(Cant reach highway bars)
Richland Rick Fork Brace and Side Stand.
Centerstand.

Seemed kinda buzzy but for what it is.
Definitely too tall for me balls of my feet only which isn't confidence inspiring with the top heavy feeling, Havnt decided if its worth the risk of purchasing and then adding lowering links and seat to see what that might feel like.
Definitely like it better then the C90 cruiser but its also no Wing good or bad?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
2015 Versys test ride

Promised this almost two weeks ago... been out riding. ;)

The local Kawasaki dealer (also sells Suzuki and let me ride the Vee2) has a 650 and 1K versys available for demo rides. while riding a 1000 would be a hoot, I am confident that I am not looking (yet) for a liter bike (remember I have a Goldwing in the garage). The Vee2 was more than I wanted and from reading online about the versys 1K I know it is more that the Vee2. So I ask to ride the versys 650 and they have me all set up when I arrive on a gorgeous Saturday morning in late June. A white versys 650 (non LT) is gassed and ready to go, they toss me the keys and say, "Have Fun!".

A quick walk around the bike and she is pretty, I just love the red shock spring on the white bike. PS- the lime green is horrible IMO. The headlight/fairing assembly has a hard look that says ride me fast(note: I am no racer). I put the key in, verified neutral, pulled in the clutch and thumbed the starter... Vroom, nice. Walked around it and looked again, the bike is still pretty but the noise from the muffler made me look down... that is UGLY down there. Finish getting geared up turned it back off and threw my leg over. She feels good, about the same as the v-strom 650 I rode a couple months ago I think. Well it turns out the Suzuki is .2 inches shorter, feels about the same anyway when standing to my 31 inch inseam, almost get my feet flat in my riding boots. Feels pretty light, well balanced. Check to make sure all the controls are where they belong, start her back up and go for a spin in their rutted lot. Just a couple loops to make sure I have control, can't do to much slow work here with the funky surface. The clutch is light and has good feel, the brakes are easy to manage without being to "snatchy", good. I pull right onto the main road and realize this bike has some giddy-up. Pulls nicely and likes to rev up, very similar to the Suzuki with a "different" buzz, hmmm?

I quickly realize that I forgot to set up my mirrors, uhg! I pull over and fiddle with the mirrors as well as the brake lever adjustment to get things right. Get back moving and head over to the twisty road that is rutted up at the bottom of East Rock in New Haven. I feel comfortable on the bike, but my legs are a bit further back and up than I prefer. The bike is "jumpy" and likes to be ridden a little hard. Brakes are responsive and steering is pretty quick. Then I get to the road I wanted and find out they just re-paved some of it, but not all. She handles and tracks well through corners, even when the pavement got choppy, impressive. The buzz is bothering me some and I keep having to push myself back on the seat.

The wind screen is in the full up position and seems to be doing a good job for the 5'10" fat man with an XXL shoei rj1100 helmet on. The clutch, throttle and brakes are all performing admirably along with a good suspension setup and quick confident handling. The motor is not singing to me, a little whine maybe. Dash is laid out well enough, not spending much time looking at it though. I could easily loft this front wheel, need to keep conigzent of that, I am not into unicycles.

I headed over to the Merrit Parkway with Heroes Tunnel so I could feel the bike on the highway and check the power in top gear on the "big" hill. By time I get to the on ramp, the versys has me impressed with it's sporty ride but I have just spent too much time with the twins (balls) pressed against the tank and the buzz is NOT comfortable down there. Not sure if the seat is at fault or the riding position but this would need to be remedied day one. I get it up on the highway and the versys is good. Plenty of power and handles well but not as planted as I prefer (she feels light here, somewhat like the nc700x.) The bike is buzzy but not so much so that my hands are numb, the twins are still not liking this however. Through the tunnel and up the hill, no sweat. Moving along in top gear at 60 MPH with 245 lbs of meat draped over it, twist the throttle and up we go.

I got off the highway and headed back to the dealer. The bike performs great but I keep pushing my butt back, this is getting old. Pull back in to the dealer after about 45 minutes in the saddle and I need a bit to unwind. Walk around the bike again.

In summary (and IMO): The Versys will suit a lot of people perfectly, I am not that guy. It is a sporty performing bike with good power, brakes, handling and suspension. Legs a bit back and up for me, parallel twin buzz in my balls, not planted on the highway. Too bad, the little Kawasaki came close but I was not looking for a sport bike(yet).

After test riding six bikes (f800gs, dl650 (gen 1 and 2), dl1000, nc700x, Tiger XRx and Versys 650), the DL650 is parked next to my Goldwing in the garage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I got to test a 2013 650 Adv while I drove it home:grin2:
Pretty tall for my 5-7" bod so I will be looking for a lower seat and possibly lowering links.
Seemed to have enough on the freeway on the way home but didn't get over the speed limit by much. I had to do a 180 in front of the house to get in the driveway did the U turn in about half the distance of the Goldwing.:surprise:

Yes there are many like it but this one is mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Iffykid, we are brethren for sure. We both have a Wing and a Strom in the garage. Enjoy the bike(s), I know I am enjoying mine!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Excellent thread..... I am sure you'll enjoy the DL650 as much as I enjoy mine...
Quick question.. what is the price of a goldwing? .... I am a glutton for punishment .. I will let you know what the price would be here in Ecuador.... LOL

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I bought my Wing new in 2013. The ABS version was 28K retail but was sold to me for 25.5, Add a doc and setup fee, 26K. Then taxes at 6.35%.

Here is a link to the Honda America site with present pricing:

2015 Gold Wing Options - Honda Powersports

81 - 90 of 90 Posts