StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new '06 DL 1000 about a month ago. I've put about 1k miles on it and have spent close to $400 on some different windscreen options and am pretty close to a wind buffeting solution...I think it will take one more windscreen to do it. I do 100% street riding. I wanted something that could be a an occasional commuter and an all day riding bike.

Something has me looking at bikes such as the ZX-14 and the Ducati ST3. I don't want to go fast, but I am in search of perhaps a better street solution?. I see some people are using the supersport bikes such as the Hayabusa and ZX-14 for sport tourers. I guess I am wondering about the feasability of the V for 100% street riding with a sport touring flair. It seems many owners buy the V with the intent of going off road and I assume accept it for what it is on the street. They may also get it as a second bike to have some variety. I am tall, so I figured a sport bike would not fit me too well (and many of them don't), but I know other tall riders are going sport for an all day bike and liking it. The ZX-14 actually feels not that bad to me. I know that hands down the V will be less costly to own than a Ducati, but on the other hand we need to be happy with our ride.

The whole wind buffeting trial and error thing has taken a bit of a toll on me, so I am trying to keep that out of mind, but on the other hand I can't help think that a sportier bike will have a smoother airflow and be more tollerable, even if more of me is in the wind.

If I do keep the V, I figure it will take another $1000 or so to finish it off with a smaller front sprocket, new pipes (stock is waaay too quiet) and FI mapping.

What are your thoughts? Anyone having similar thoughts as me? If you also own a Hayabusa or ZX-14, which would you choose for an all day ride?

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Sounds like you've sold yourself on a different bike.

We can't tell you what will make you happy. I know, for me, the Strom is as close to a perfect bike as I will find. Reasonable power delivery, reasonable comfort, reasonable handling and lots of versitility. A good combination for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I own a sportbike, a 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R. I'm tall at 6' 3" and put in long days on the Ninja bike with no pain (400+ miles of twisties, no slab). I've got long arms so I'm more upright than most folks on a sportbike, but my elbows hit my knees sometimes too.

All that said, I don't think I'm any slower in the twisties on my Wee Strom than on the Ninja bike. And I'm certainly more comfortable.

When I demo'd the V-Strom (1000), I thought it was a lot less nimble than the 650. Less nimble the Buell Ulysses I demo'd the same morning (same route) and way less nimble than the Ducati Multistrada "S" I demo'd that afternoon (wonderful bike, pricey).

I demo'd a ZX-14 this summer and it's a great bike. Not as nimble as a sportbike in the tight stuff, but really nice for everything else. Sporty but sane/comfy ergos, good suspension and brakes and lots of smooth power.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do 99% of my riding on pavement and I got the 650 over a sportier bike for the riding position and passenger comfort. It will probably be a stepping stone for me on my way to bigger tourers like the Honda ST or the new Kawi Concours.

·
Registered
264 Posts
fatalerror said:
Have a bash at that before spending thousands on a new bike, wilya?
Maybe i'm reading it differently but I don't see his post saying that he is changing because of the windscreen. In fact it says he's almost worked that part out.

But I do agree. The MadStad with the MP Cycle Designs screen was the ticket for me.

·
Administrator
17,537 Posts
The Bandit is a great bike, I owned a 2003 Bandit 1200s. It is one of the best bikes in motorcycling...."like the Strom's"! But.......I can ride the Strom much quicker in the twisties than I ever could with the Bandit, and MUCH further! The Bandit is a capable sport tourer, but it isn't in the same league as the Stroms IMHO. The Bandit is a wicked fast bike, that has plenty of aftermarket goodies. You get allot of bang for your buck! I am a little surprised of your evaluation of the Strom's street capabilites. I have ridden ALLOT of bikes...and I feel that the Strom is one of the best touring bikes on the market, as well as the "other" places it can go too. There are TONS of aftermarket goodies for the Stroms, that can make it faster, louder, more comfy, better handling, and more long distance worthy. How many bikes can offer you all that?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Heavy said:
Sounds like you've sold yourself on a different bike.

We can't tell you what will make you happy. I know, for me, the Strom is as close to a perfect bike as I will find. Reasonable power delivery, reasonable comfort, reasonable handling and lots of versitility. A good combination for me.

Good luck.
Heavy's nailed it. I am reading and re-reading your post and I just don't understand it.

You've had this thing for 1000 miles. It isn't even broken in. You say you are looking for a street bike with a sport touring flair, a good all day ride and an excellent commuter. Dude, you have one.

In 1000 miles you have already spent $400.00 on windshields, with one more to go. You already know that you need a 16T front sprocket, new pipes and a FI re-map. You haven't even given this bike a chance.

My opinion, FWIW, is that you bought the bike, then started digesting everything you read on the forums. I did the same thing. I bought an 06, and before I had 100 miles on it , I was convinced that my windshield sucked, Deathwings were no good, it ran the shits, needed a PC or a Yosh, seat is crap, ran lousy between 3000-4000, cost too much, it was too top heavy, had more power than I really needed, got lousy mileage, wasn't very flickable, and had lots of issues. If I had a ledge, I'd have jumped off.

So now I have 7000 km on it. I've commuted on it, taken some great trips, and the bike has done everything I have asked of it. It has been great and keeps getting better. And of all those things that I was told were inadequacies, they have been a non event. I have changed NOTHING on that bike.

You already have a bike that is an all day ride, good commuter and a street bike with a sport touring flair. Not to many V 1000 guys spend a great deal of time off road. In my opinion the V is an outstanding street bike with perfect ergos for an all day ride.

What do you find lacking in the V as a street bike. I don't know what you are looking for, but I hope you find it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have Madstad. My windscreen solution right now consists of: Madstad + CalSci screen + standard Laminar Lip. Adding the Lip really helped smooth out the airflow, and with the Madstad I have it angled almost as far back as it will go. Assuming I keep the bike, I will get a Givi to use with the Madstad and the Lip just because I think the Givi looks better and will function better in colder weather than the CalSci. I'll cut the CalSci down even more than I have and make it my hot weather screen.

I did ride a Kawi Z750s the other day with a bunch of mods, and I can say I definitely perfer the V-Strom over the Z.

I am thinking that getting the pipes and dropping the gearing may make the difference I am looking for. I am used to a tall top heavy bike...my last bike was a Concours. I feel fine throwing the DL 1000 in to corners, and I use it in stop and go traffic.

I think one of the questions that I am trying to answer is: Did I buy a bike for one purpose (street touring) and its sweet spot of purpose is something else (dual purpose). So am I dealing with inconveniences and looking to to do upgrades for things that would not be an issue with a street bike? From my experience with some of my hobbies, I am am believer in buying more out of the box rather than doing a bunch of mods to something to make it work. That's why I am stopping to look at things now since I feel I am at the point of sinking another $1000+ in to the bike. Of course any bike will require some mods...if I go the sport bike route I'll be buying bar raisers and lower pegs and a new screen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
All I can say is you've got a GREAT, versatile bike with the Strom. There are many GOOD bikes on the market, but few GREAT ones.

I've owned 8 dirt bikes (raced motocross), and 13 road bikes in 35 years of uninterrupted riding. I've had tourers, cruisers, sport-tourers, sport, and multi-purpose bikes, ranging in size from 250 cc to 1500 cc, and without any doubt in my mind the Strom is the best all-around bike I've owned! And it sure is nice to not have to worry about fuel for 250 miles. An added plus.

Sport bikes are nice, but IMO they are not all that comfortable for long day rides (long to me is 600 - 1000 miles a day). Although some have a more upright riding position that make it tolerabe for longer rides, most have a 'lay-down' riding style. And most sport bikes perform best at higher RPM, which make them fun on the open road, but not as good for city/town riding.

Also, if you want saddlebags, there isn't much out there for sport bikes, and if you take a passenger with you the luggage options are few. You can get bikes that have bags and are good 2-up, but often they are big and not the best for city riding. Then there is the insurance issie. The ZX-14 you mentioned is a fast sport bike and is pretty expensive to insure. Some good insurance companies will not even insure sport bikes over 1000 cc's. A good friend just got an FZ1, and his insurance (BikeLine/Markel) dropped him due to the type of bike.

Hope this helps! I'd think long and hard before I sold the Strom and got another bike, but like I said, there are many GOOD bikes out there that you would be content with. The Yamaha FZ1 is a very good bike in my eyes.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me throw something else out there.

Try lowering the front forks 15mm. I did it and was soooo impressed!!!! I was ready to sell the bike because it didnt handle like I was expecting, now it does.
Try uping to the 43 tooth rear, easy cheap upgrade to improve low end power.
Remove your secondairies, WOW....
Everything I just listed will cost you less that $40. Major difference to me!!

The Strom will do everything you asked for PLUS can go off road if you ever desire!!! Sure, its not a Hayabusa(my dream bike) or a Goldwing but....... keep it a little while longer, make a few of those easy mods and then decide.

I love mine now!!!

Roger

·
Registered
80 Posts
For what its worth I have an 04 DL 1000 with over 20K on it most of it 2 up and 99.5% as a tourer.. Give the Strom a chance it's a neat bike REALLY.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I love my strom, but my younger brother really likes the Kawasaki 06 ZZR600 which is much sportier than the 650, or 1000 with the tradeoffs you'd expect.

I'd ride a whole bunch, sit on a bunch and decide whats important to you. The vstrom is a fun great all purpose bike, but its not a sport bike :)

eric

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think you should get used to the strom a bit before making to many changes, but they depend on your riding style.
The bike is not even run in , so go do some miles ,try different ridding styles and see where you want improvements .

For risers go with ROX riser very adjustable ( has been patented so none will copy it )

For a screen look at a cee bailey tall screen ( with the madstand I think it would be great ) I have one ,( madstand next to get )if you want protection and do not mind looking threw the screen go for it.

If you realy want a high speed sports bike , think twice , it's hard to enjoy life when you have lost your licence ( and your insurance will skyrocket ).

If you really like hard charging go do some track time , maybe race some old classics or something that apeals to you.
You can go a lot harder on a track with far less risk to you and no risk to your licence.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I went and sat on a few bikes today: the Ducati ST3, the ZX-14 (again), the FJR1300 and the FZ1. I also took the V for my commute in to San Francisco today plus the running around to the moto dealers. I think I am going to stick with the 'Strom. The next runner up is the ST3, but the acquisition cost ($14k - 15k + tax + license + loss on selling my bike) plus the ongoing cost of ownership ($600 valve job every 6k miles) makes it a very costly bike to own. The ZX-14 felt more cramped than I remember it being.

As for the mods to the 'Strom, I think I have been giving stock a chance. The gearing definitely feels tall....it is a bit of a pain in stop and go traffic or tight twisties on a narrow crappy road.

One thing I have noticed is my back starts to hurt before my rear end does. I think it is because I slouch over given the upright riding position. I am starting to think of looking for a new set of bars that will lower the grips to get me to lean forward a bit to help prevent the slouching. I also like the idea of lowering the front on the forks a bit. New pipes definitely need to be had as well. I might try either going to a custom seat shop or building up the seat with foam myself like the thread(s) here have shown.

Hearing your feedback has helped. One bummer about buying a bike is, at least around where I live, the majority of the dealers don't allow test rides. Your feedback helps to fill in some blanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the looks of the new Bandito too. If they tuned the motor right it should be a blast.

You need to get the new Bandito and keep the Strom. And give us a road test once you pick it up.

Also, I just fitted the Madstad on my K4DL1000 and wish they came out with it 13,000 miles back. Great piece of hardware at a great price.

Lastly, I have owned a dozen jap bikes including a ZX-11, an FZ-1 and a few old Triumphs. And as for me, the Strom ain't no sport bike but it does most things well and it suits me. Just wish it wasn't so UGLY.

·
Registered
552 Posts
After over 40 years living with motorcycles I have learned:

There is no one perfect bike for everyone.
There is no one bike that does it all perfectly.

Happy and blessed is the man who owns several motorcycles.

I love my DL650 and agree with the Cycle World test where they said it was "shockingly competent". It is a hard bike to beat for an all-around motorcycle.

Ugly? Matter of oppinion. Sure, my K12GT BMW is a lot prettier, but the V does what it is suppose to do and does it so well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I am riding the Wee Vee she is one sweet lady.

Just my $ .02

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
You have it bass ackwards. The Strom may be billed as a Dual Sport, but it's more of a street bike than an offroad bike. I'd say less than 20% of riders who own a Strom take it for serious offroading. Are there riders who will??? Hell yea, but many buy it for street use and comfort. I happen to think it's fugly, but when it does everything I ask of it and then some, how can I not like it. 8)

BTW for comparison sake, I have 24,000+ miles on my Wee and total cost of maintenance including a set of tires has yet to cost me $1000.00 My friend has a Ducati Multistrada 620 Dark and it's costing her $1000.00 in basic maintence costs every 6000 miles and that doesn't include tires :shock:

rob9000 said:
I think one of the questions that I am trying to answer is: Did I buy a bike for one purpose (street touring) and its sweet spot of purpose is something else (dual purpose). So am I dealing with inconveniences and looking to to do upgrades for things that would not be an issue with a street bike? From my experience with some of my hobbies, I am am believer in buying more out of the box rather than doing a bunch of mods to something to make it work. That's why I am stopping to look at things now since I feel I am at the point of sinking another $1000+ in to the bike. Of course any bike will require some mods...if I go the sport bike route I'll be buying bar raisers and lower pegs and a new screen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
rob9000 said:
I bought a new '06 DL 1000 about a month ago. I've put about 1k miles on it and have spent close to $400 on some different windscreen options and am pretty close to a wind buffeting solution...I think it will take one more windscreen to do it. I do 100% street riding. I wanted something that could be a an occasional commuter and an all day riding bike.

Something has me looking at bikes such as the ZX-14 and the Ducati ST3. I don't want to go fast, but I am in search of perhaps a better street solution?. I see some people are using the supersport bikes such as the Hayabusa and ZX-14 for sport tourers. I guess I am wondering about the feasability of the V for 100% street riding with a sport touring flair. It seems many owners buy the V with the intent of going off road and I assume accept it for what it is on the street. They may also get it as a second bike to have some variety. I am tall, so I figured a sport bike would not fit me too well (and many of them don't), but I know other tall riders are going sport for an all day bike and liking it. The ZX-14 actually feels not that bad to me. I know that hands down the V will be less costly to own than a Ducati, but on the other hand we need to be happy with our ride.

The whole wind buffeting trial and error thing has taken a bit of a toll on me, so I am trying to keep that out of mind, but on the other hand I can't help think that a sportier bike will have a smoother airflow and be more tollerable, even if more of me is in the wind.

If I do keep the V, I figure it will take another $1000 or so to finish it off with a smaller front sprocket, new pipes (stock is waaay too quiet) and FI mapping.

What are your thoughts? Anyone having similar thoughts as me? If you also own a Hayabusa or ZX-14, which would you choose for an all day ride?
I own a Speed Triple for my sport bike needs and it is very comfortable on an all day fast ride.

Check them out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts