Strom Trooper banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
And if cruising interstate a lot is not a big factor, you should consider the DL650. The DL1000 is only slightly more comfortable at interstate speeds.
But considering that you can buy either one easily for under 3k, why not get the bigger engine? I don't think anyone has ever said, I wish I had less power.

And honestly the DL1000 doesn't feel like a liter bike, my old kz750 had more power.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I have owed a Burgman 650 Exec and 4 VStroms. I went from a DL650 to a DL1000, back to a DL650 and now I own a 2014 DL100. Obviously, I love both bikes.
For me, I have settled on the D1000 on what suits me best. I just like the extra power, especially on highway travels. I'm a big guy 6'1", 250lbs to 275lbs, depending on how my diet goes:) and the extra power also seems to fit my size.
FYI - THe 2014+ DL1000 is an awesome bike. Check the prices on a 2014 DL1000. You might be surprised how good the prices are. I have seen 2014s, low miles between 5K and 6K. One example: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Suzuki-DL1000-ADVENTURE-5003294965
Good luck on your next purchase!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Picked up my new to me 2012 DL1000 in Toronto end of August. Rode it across Canada and put some 5400 Kms on it in doing so. I'm 6'2" 215 lbs and also own two Goldwings, an '85 1200 and '95 1500.

The bike I have has the foot pegs lowered 1", handlebar risers 1", side mirror extenders, Sargeant seat, Madstad windshield and other niceties. These items make the ergonomics quite good for a taller rider. The bike is quite comfortable on long trips and handles wet/dry conditions well. Took some getting used to regarding where to operate the engine - 3K and above - the engine tone is different as well. Have done a short two up ride with the Mrs and the bike rode well - no power issues and lots of room for two.

Overall quite pleased with my Vee, and it's a great alternative to using the Goldwing(s) around town considering it is some 300 lbs lighter.

Have heard and read about the 1000 issues. Once you get the bike fitted for your stature, the rest is maintenance and upgrades to what you want/prefer. No perfect bike out there and once the bike is mechanically sound, everything but the engine and electrics, all should be good. The latter items you have no control over.

I have/had researched these adventure sport touring bikes and the VStrom, bang for buck, always came to the fore. Talking to shops about these bikes have heard only good things.

A riding friend just picked up a 2010 Tiger 1050. Nice bike but has some design issues I'm not comfortable with such as the location of the rear brake caliper, and the triple cylinder engine. Issue with the engine regarding cooling of the centre cylinder have been reported. It's a smoother operating engine and has a few more ponies. It has a cable clutch instead of hydraulic, I prefer the hydraulic. The rear brake is better, but not so much as to affect my decision. There are no aftermarket foot peg lowering option(s) that we can find, more looking to do. Shifter position makes me feel like I'm doing the ballerina, toe pointing down to shift. The Tiger 1050 would not be my preference and it commands a higher price tag; however, my friend likes it and I'll support him with regards to his buy.

Having mentioned all the above, the 1000 VStrom is a good acquisition for myself. There will always be something that is an issue, or someone who has issues with a vehicle.

The reason I bought mine in Toronto is the overall buy was a good price, got to see family and friends - always nice to see Mom, she's 87, visited the daughter and son-in-law in Ottawa, and I had a great ride across Canada. Very familiar with the bike now.

Lots to consider. Just my thoughts. Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
Picked up my new to me 2012 DL1000 in Toronto end of August. Rode it across Canada and put some 5400 Kms on it in doing so. I'm 6'2" 215 lbs and also own two Goldwings, an '85 1200 and '95 1500.

The bike I have has the foot pegs lowered 1", handlebar risers 1", side mirror extenders, Sargeant seat, Madstad windshield and other niceties. These items make the ergonomics quite good for a taller rider. The bike is quite comfortable on long trips and handles wet/dry conditions well. Took some getting used to regarding where to operate the engine - 3K and above - the engine tone is different as well. Have done a short two up ride with the Mrs and the bike rode well - no power issues and lots of room for two.

Overall quite pleased with my Vee, and it's a great alternative to using the Goldwing(s) around town considering it is some 300 lbs lighter.

Have heard and read about the 1000 issues. Once you get the bike fitted for your stature, the rest is maintenance and upgrades to what you want/prefer. No perfect bike out there and once the bike is mechanically sound, everything but the engine and electrics, all should be good. The latter items you have no control over.

I have/had researched these adventure sport touring bikes and the VStrom, bang for buck, always came to the fore. Talking to shops about these bikes have heard only good things.

A riding friend just picked up a 2010 Tiger 1050. Nice bike but has some design issues I'm not comfortable with such as the location of the rear brake caliper, and the triple cylinder engine. Issue with the engine regarding cooling of the centre cylinder have been reported. It's a smoother operating engine and has a few more ponies. It has a cable clutch instead of hydraulic, I prefer the hydraulic. The rear brake is better, but not so much as to affect my decision. There are no aftermarket foot peg lowering option(s) that we can find, more looking to do. Shifter position makes me feel like I'm doing the ballerina, toe pointing down to shift. The Tiger 1050 would not be my preference and it commands a higher price tag; however, my friend likes it and I'll support him with regards to his buy.

Having mentioned all the above, the 1000 VStrom is a good acquisition for myself. There will always be something that is an issue, or someone who has issues with a vehicle.

The reason I bought mine in Toronto is the overall buy was a good price, got to see family and friends - always nice to see Mom, she's 87, visited the daughter and son-in-law in Ottawa, and I had a great ride across Canada. Very familiar with the bike now.

Lots to consider. Just my thoughts. Cheers
:laugh2: I bought my 2002 in Toronto a couple of weeks ago and rode to the other coast - Annapolis Valley, NS. Good ride, though, 2-1/2 days from getting on the plane in Halifax to getting home on the V-Strom.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also recommend contacting your local Suzuki dealer with the VIN and ask about recalls and such. If you are into long days, did the trip home in five days, was going to take more but didn't work out that way.

Shorter distance to the east coast. Nice area the Annapolis Valley, spent a few hours there over the years.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
Keep us posted Dale! Looking forward to hearing your experience on either the 650 or 1000 after reading some context on your riding experience. Kids can do that to a man's riding career... same here. Got back on 2 wheels when they turned 6 and 8 respectively.

The reality is, I just love(d) both bikes. Once that MCcruise is installed, my bike will do everything I expect of it... can't wait to slab down to NC again next year with cruise, leaning back on my dry bags with a grin.
You need to slab down here to Ohio in the near future, I'll keep the lights on for ya. :wink2:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Also recommend contacting your local Suzuki dealer with the VIN and ask about recalls and such. If you are into long days, did the trip home in five days, was going to take more but didn't work out that way.

Shorter distance to the east coast. Nice area the Annapolis Valley, spent a few hours there over the years.

Cheers
Yes, good idea about the recall info from a dealer. I guess we both had enjoyable rides - your 5400 kms in 5 days and my 2000 kms in 2 days. :thumbup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good ride familiarization, rode in some weather I might opt out of if bought at home. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Annapolis Valley, NS
One of my favourite places... beautiful there. Hiked Cape Split with my oldest pup a couple years ago, even followed directions from a friend to find the rope and trail down to the shore... boulder hopped all the way back to the fingers and back before the tide came in.

OP, 2up with gear, I would want the 1000 for the brakes and suspension. I had no issues 2up with my 650 power wise, but the brakes and suspension were being pushed. As mentioned by Rick, if you want the smoothness and buttery gearbox of the 650, the brakes and suspension can be upgraded. The best option would be to find one that has already been upgraded.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
You need to slab down here to Ohio in the near future, I'll keep the lights on for ya. :wink2:
Do I ever! Maybe I'll brave it before winter hits once the cruise is in! The final piece to my late season/winter riding...? a pair of Warm n' Safe heated gloves. Add the heated grips and skidoo mitts, I should be ok :grin2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, leap taken.

I picked up a high mileage but REALLY great condition 2006 DL1000.
It has a hair over 100,000km on it, oxford grips, speedo healer, digital gearshift indicator (that works very poorly)
No damage, no corrosion, new tires, looks like it was really babied.
Literally the only thing I can find wrong is an exhaust leak, needs a few seals in the 'Y' pipes I think.
Easily handled I am sure.

Parked it in my carport for $3000 CAD

I will hang onto my Burger till spring and try to sell it then, not many people interested at this time of year.

Thanx all!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts