Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Vancouver island B.C. Canada!

I currently ride a Burgman 650 Exec that I have had for about 5 years and love, but every time I drive past a washout or gravel road I would like to explore I do get sad...
So with regret I have decided to depart my touring Scoot for an ADV class bike, with hopes to add a hitch and tow a small trailer I should add :)

I have pretty much settled on the DL1000 of 2008 to 2012 vintage as I cannot see my $$$ going much further.
I have taken a 2013 DL650 for a spin and I did like it, still waiting on a chance to try a DL1000, I found a 2009 a few hours from me, private seller, I may go look at soon.

What I am hoping to hear is things to look for, watch our for. The drawbacks and common problems.

Can someone fill me in plz :)

Thanx

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
While the DL series bikes are billed as "adventure" bikes but they are more road bikes that will do light off roading okay. They are heavy and have low ground clearance. They are more like a 90/10 tire. 90% onroad and 10% unpaved road

If you are looking to explore single track or rough and rocky trails there are a lot better choices. The more gnarly the riding gets lighter bike with long travel suspension will be welcome.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the mechanicals of the DL series bike and they are quite reliable for many 10's of 1,000's of miles. It just they why they are physically is what somewhat limits it.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
650:
weak brakes
weak suspension
weak electrical output/capacity (think heated gear)
Head bearings failed on mine around 11k miles

1000:
weak clutch slave cylinder gasket
weak clutch basket
Idle hammer (not an issue unless the noise will drive you nuts)

There you go, summed up in 7 bullet points :grin2:

If towing a trailer it has to be the 1000, due to power and brakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the DL series bikes are billed as "adventure" bikes but they are more road bikes that will do light off roading okay. They are heavy and have low ground clearance. They are more like a 90/10 tire. 90% onroad and 10% unpaved road

If you are looking to explore single track or rough and rocky trails there are a lot better choices. The more gnarly the riding gets lighter bike with long travel suspension will be welcome.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the mechanicals of the DL series bike and they are quite reliable for many 10's of 1,000's of miles. It just they why they are physically is what somewhat limits it.

Thanx for the input!

I am not looking for the single track, more gravel road and double track stuff. I have a 1979 PE250 for the single track stuff :)
Gravel roads on my Burgman is like wrestling an elephant while wearing roller skates.
With a proper skid plate I think with a DL1000 I should be able to sneak over a log hear and there and run up a fire road with some comfort.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
650:
weak brakes
weak suspension
weak electrical output/capacity (think heated gear)
Head bearings failed on mine around 11k miles

1000:
weak clutch slave cylinder gasket
weak clutch basket
Idle hammer (not an issue unless the noise will drive you nuts)

There you go, summed up in 7 bullet points :grin2:

If towing a trailer it has to be the 1000, due to power and brakes.
Hmm, ok on the clutch basket what is the failure like? are there aftermarket upgrades?
a gasket here and there is nothing, I do my own work on all my bikes.

what exactly do you mean by "idle hammer" ???

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Hmm, ok on the clutch basket what is the failure like? are there aftermarket upgrades?
a gasket here and there is nothing, I do my own work on all my bikes.

what exactly do you mean by "idle hammer" ???
The OEM clutch basket will run forever... it'll just start to perform like shit and make a bunch of noise.

Terry (werks) has a fix for the basket that you can do yourself.

Idle hammer is just a noise the engine makes at idle with the clutch out. When fully warmed up the 1000 will sound like someone is hitting the engine case with a wooden mallet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The OEM clutch basket will run forever... it'll just start to perform like shit and make a bunch of noise.

Terry (werks) has a fix for the basket that you can do yourself.

Idle hammer is just a noise the engine makes at idle with the clutch out. When fully warmed up the 1000 will sound like someone is hitting the engine case with a wooden mallet.
hmm, so nothing that can quiet down that I take it :( one of the things I like most about my Burger is how silent it is...
Things i will have to do without I guess :)

Is the idle hammer related to the clutch basket wear?

Thanks for your info btw :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question, is anyone still making a skid plate for these years? The bike I am looking at is not equipped with one.
I can fab one up, but that's a lot of work :(

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thanx for the input!

I am not looking for the single track, more gravel road and double track stuff. I have a 1979 PE250 for the single track stuff :)
Gravel roads on my Burgman is like wrestling an elephant while wearing roller skates.
With a proper skid plate I think with a DL1000 I should be able to sneak over a log hear and there and run up a fire road with some comfort.
If you've taken the Burgman off road and lived to tell the tale the DL will be substantially better. Fire Roads and the occasional log no problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just my experience . Bought a 06 used w/19k in2010 . Have 65k on it and the only "Failures" were , stator at 61k , and TPS at 64k . Other than those things I've upgraded brakes and suspension and have loved the terrain this bike open for me .

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had an AN650 (burgman) for three years and I have had my DL650 for 1 and 1/2 years. the last thing a V strom is, is a dirt bike. for what a strom weighs a skid plate is only good for catching gravel thrown up by the front tire.

I gently took my dl650 down some dirt roads that I take my 2 wheel drive pick up down. then I took the skid plate off, hammered the dents out and replaced it. the bike looks better with a skid plate on. The strom has no frame tubes behind the skid plate. what it has is a vulnerable low exhaust system. Don't bump anything on the ground with a strom, it ain't made for that. if the dirt or gravel road is smooth enough you can take a burgy 650 down it carefully. keep it in power mode and you can power the back end around the corners.

the electrical capacity of the dl650 is helped a lot by the use of LED lights. you have a lot more power to run accessories.

The idle hammer sounds to me like a metal hammer hitting the engine. it bothers me even when I take my hearing aids out.

I love my dl650, for me it is a comfortable,funny looking, fun, street bike.

Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had an AN650 (burgman) for three years and I have had my DL650 for 1 and 1/2 years. the last thing a V strom is, is a dirt bike. for what a strom weighs a skid plate is only good for catching gravel thrown up by the front tire.

I gently took my dl650 down some dirt roads that I take my 2 wheel drive pick up down. then I took the skid plate off, hammered the dents out and replaced it. the bike looks better with a skid plate on. The strom has no frame tubes behind the skid plate. what it has is a vulnerable low exhaust system. Don't bump anything on the ground with a strom, it ain't made for that. if the dirt or gravel road is smooth enough you can take a burgy 650 down it carefully. keep it in power mode and you can power the back end around the corners.

the electrical capacity of the dl650 is helped a lot by the use of LED lights. you have a lot more power to run accessories.

The idle hammer sounds to me like a metal hammer hitting the engine. it bothers me even when I take my hearing aids out.

I love my dl650, for me it is a comfortable,funny looking, fun, street bike.

Your mileage may vary
like I said I am not looking for a dirt bike, I have one of those already. I am looking for a touring bike that I can take off the pavement without causing a permanent pucker!
Double track trails and slowly over some rough blocking to get onto a fire road kinda thing.

Last year I did a really cool ride with a friend, I wanted to go into some beach turn offs around Sooke but the roads were too rough for my Burger, I did one and would not do the others, they were 1km to 3km long and downhill in so uphill out in loose gravel, he was riding a Yamaha FZ-07 and had little trouble. I had pulled muscles in my shoulders that took weeks to get right!!

There is a TONE! of stuff I turn away from on my Burger that I want to explore on my island :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, idle hammer noise and clutch basket noise are two different things. Werks has cures for both. Mind you, not needed for lotsa k's. Mine's got 37K on it and noises at idle are minimal. But the Werks fixes do fix both I believe, and fix them proper (woohoo!!).

·
Registered
99 Posts
You might buy that DL1000 oncee you ride it,

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Food for thought - the 2014 and later DL1000 was rebuilt basically from the ground up and is a different bird completely than the earlier ones. Much more refined.

·
Vendor
4,554 Posts
A lot of the statements above are relative though. Weak brakes? Only compared to high performance sport bikes. The brakes are competent and can easily be upgraded with sintered pads and/or braided stainless brake lines.

The low ground clearance is only relative to more dirt worthy bikes. The bike has much more clearance than a normal street bike. Certainly way more than a cruiser.

Idle hammer does not happen with every single DL1000. But common.

Stator failure at ~20 to ~30K miles is common.

But you are talking to a bunch of guys who know just about every detail of these bikes, and coming from different points of view. Just about every bike out there has some kind of issues. But there are good reasons why V-Stroms have been such a world wide best seller. And most DL1000 owners (not all of them) love their bikes. And many of those that didn't love their 1000, love their DL650.

And if cruising interstate a lot is not a big factor, you should consider the DL650. The DL1000 is only slightly more comfortable at interstate speeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lot of the statements above are relative though. Weak brakes? Only compared to high performance sport bikes. The brakes are competent and can easily be upgraded with sintered pads and/or braided stainless brake lines.

The low ground clearance is only relative to more dirt worthy bikes. The bike has much more clearance than a normal street bike. Certainly way more than a cruiser.

Idle hammer does not happen with every single DL1000. But common.

Stator failure at ~20 to ~30K miles is common.

But you are talking to a bunch of guys who know just about every detail of these bikes, and coming from different points of view. Just about every bike out there has some kind of issues. But there are good reasons why V-Stroms have been such a world wide best seller. And most DL1000 owners (not all of them) love their bikes. And many of those that didn't love their 1000, love their DL650.

And if cruising interstate a lot is not a big factor, you should consider the DL650. The DL1000 is only slightly more comfortable at interstate speeds.
Your absolutely right on every point, this is FAR from my first bike :) and I am somewhat mechanicaly inclined. I was splitting cases and fixing transmission problems in the early 80's on my old worn out dirt bikes as a teen. I also have over 2 million KM of riding to call on and experience riding hundreds of bikes albeit mostly from the 80/90's and the adventure touring market basically did not exist back then. Since my first kid screamed at me in the delivery room back in 2002 I have only played with my vintage dirt bikes and my Burgman.

The main reason I am looking at the 1000 over the 650 is I want to build a trailer and tour 2up, either with the wife or one of my kids on the back. The 650 would be my choice if not for those two factors.

I really appreciate the perspective from owners, I am filtering it of course :)

Its research like this that gives a leg up on what to look for in a used bike :)

Unfortunately there are not many buyers interested in my Burgman on Vancouver Island so things may be stuck for a while...
I dont have the finances to just go get one :)

Thanx all!!

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Keep us posted Dale! Looking forward to hearing your experience on either the 650 or 1000 after reading some context on your riding experience. Kids can do that to a man's riding career... same here. Got back on 2 wheels when they turned 6 and 8 respectively.

The reality is, I just love(d) both bikes. Once that MCcruise is installed, my bike will do everything I expect of it... can't wait to slab down to NC again next year with cruise, leaning back on my dry bags with a grin.

·
Registered
972 Posts
When I read your posts, including your experience, I hear you wanting the 1000.
Maybe you should scatter some ads across a reasonable geographic circle saying; Will trade a 650 Burgman Exec for a DL1000 2014 and up.

There just might be someone out there with a mirror circumstance as you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts