StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got what looks like a pretty good deal in California about three hours away from me. I'm emailing the owner to ask if he's had a mechanic verify that it's in great shape, if he has oil change records, etc. Is there anything else I should be giving a hard look? Any thoughts on the pricing?

I'm concerned about the relocated starter and kill switch. The pictures show it mounted between the handlebar mounts.

I don't want to be in a hurry to get a bike, and at the same time, I've got an itch to ride.

I'm selling my 07 Vstrom 650 that I've had for the last 3 years.
Mechanically, the bike is in great shape, with approximately 29,000 miles. No leaks or anything that needs immediate attention.

Here's what's been done:
New fork tubes + seals
New Front and rear brake pads
New front brake rotors
V-stream tall touring windshield added
Heated grips with 5-level controller
Faulty ignition button bypassed (a known issue with these bikes)
55w Hi-output halogen headlights
New chain+sprockets

Also, the bike will come with mounting brackets and ammo-can saddlebags, magnetic Joe Rocket tank bag, plus a few other extras.

Cosmetically, the bike is a little rough, but is ready to ride and has plenty of life left. Motor is in great shape and was owned by an older, experienced rider before I bought it and continued to keep up on regular oil changes. Hate to sell the bike, but I've decided that I want a quad instead. $2800 obo.
Thanks for looking
Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Perhaps you could ask if a fellow member of the forum would be grand enough to stop by the location and give you a report of what they find you may be less concerned.
You don't mention the general location of the bike. Some may be willing to take a peak.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I wonder if the bike has been crashed. Changing the fork seals and tubes may indicate that unless the tubes were neglected and rusted, then ate the seals. There is an issue with the headlight cutout section of the start switch, but the fix would be to clean and adjust the contacts and add headlight relays. Relocating the switch is odd. See if the headlights go out when pushing the start switch. If not, that feature was bypassed. New front rotors could indicate the brake pads went down to nothing and scored the rotors. A bike with that mileage should not have rotor problems. The stock headlights are 55W low beams and have excellent lamps. Replacing them will shorten their life. It sounds like he had headlight issues, which is not uncommon, and chose a poor fix instead of the proper fix of repairing the switch and installing headlight relays.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/information-vault/71046-headlight-problems.html
https://blacklabadventures.com/2012/02/19/start-switch-maintenance/

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would be patient. IMO, that is a bit high for the mileage and condition. A few years ago I paid less than that for an '07 with 14k miles that was showroom condition.

In my experience (5 VStroms) the "ignition button" is not a problem area. I assume he means the starter button on the right grip.

It is a great suggestion to have a forum member inspect a bike for you or with you.

Rob

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Cash is king right now.With way too many bikes last Dec. I did the smart thing and bought two more used ones just because I had two like them and thought they were way too cheap. The market IMO is more down than way back in the early 80s. One of the two I got was a one owner 09 650 Wee for $2,700. His knees had got bad and at 68 was a little younger than me. He had traded it in to a local dealer for a Burgman.I had bought lots of bikes from this dealer.
Had good every thing,looked like new, with center stand,skid plate,side bars,taller Giv. shield. nice soft side bags. Only 26,000 and that was less than half my 011 got new in 012. I see them as cheap often since then. Look around good before laying money down.This one came down from $3,900! Good luck,they are so great little motorcycles.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the bike has been crashed. Changing the fork seals and tubes may indicate that unless the tubes were neglected and rusted, then ate the seals. There is an issue with the headlight cutout section of the start switch, but the fix would be to clean and adjust the contacts and add headlight relays. Relocating the switch is odd. See if the headlights go out when pushing the start switch. If not, that feature was bypassed. New front rotors could indicate the brake pads went down to nothing and scored the rotors. A bike with that mileage should not have rotor problems. The stock headlights are 55W low beams and have excellent lamps. Replacing them will shorten their life. It sounds like he had headlight issues, which is not uncommon, and chose a poor fix instead of the proper fix of repairing the switch and installing headlight relays.
Thanks all for the advice to be patient.

Greywolf, if he replies, I'll check on those items before making the 3hr drive to see it. In the photos, new right handlebar switch group (engine stop, starter button) have been placed between the handlebar mounts. The old switch group is still there, next to the right handgrip.

The bike is located in San Luis Obispo, CA.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You can do better. It sounds sketchy to me. What GW says about the front rotors: should not need replacement at 29K miles. My 2007 is at 95K miles and rotors are still within spec. Headlight/starter fix is a kludge and would have to be redone, hopefully he didn't hack the harness to "fix" it nor to install the halogen lights. If you are itching to ride low-ball him at $1000, I wouldn't go much higher than that.

I am in San Mateo, PM me to connect and I can show you my 2007DL650A and what to look for on a used bike.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My previous reply must stuck in moderation. Thanks a lot to everyone in this thread. I'm so impressed that I bought a premium membership.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
OP ...this is your first bike?? What is your inseam??

Vstroms can be a handful as a first ride ( hell anytime with short legs )

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

He bought a premium membership here so it sounds like he's committed regardless of inseam or experience. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes, this is my first bike. Even if I don't go with a DL650, the folks here have already given me advice worth 50x the membership cost.:thumbup:

Inseam is 34", and I weigh 230lbs / 104kg. I've passed the MSF, received my M1, and I've been allowed to sit on a V Strom 1000 at the dealership. I was comfortable in the saddle, got both feet down, and the ergonomics seemed pretty good. I'm looking at a used 650 that I can try out, get used to, drop a few times (I'm told we all do), without having my wallet cry.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can do better. It sounds sketchy to me. What GW says about the front rotors: should not need replacement at 29K miles. My 2007 is at 95K miles and rotors are still within spec. Headlight/starter fix is a kludge and would have to be redone, hopefully he didn't hack the harness to "fix" it nor to install the halogen lights. If you are itching to ride low-ball him at $1000, I wouldn't go much higher than that.

I am in San Mateo, PM me to connect and I can show you my 2007DL650A and what to look for on a used bike.
dmfdmf, thank you so much for taking the time to show me your bike and all the things I should look out for. It helps a lot to have seen what you did to your bike and how to check the CL bikes I'm looking at.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm also looking at this bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sometimes people replace rotors when they do pads, even if it doesn't really need them. Moving the starter switch doesn't really seem to make sens so ask about that to see what's up. And the bulb upgrade seems insignificant maybe it was just time to replace the bulbs?

I bought a 2007 with 50K miles for $2,000 and I think it was a good deal. It has a few farkles also.

Have you ever owned a dirt bike or motorcycle even a long time ago? First bike? Yeah it's ok a little heavy so that is up to you. If you only want to buy one bike ever, it's a good choice. Otherwise get a 250 or 350 and sale it and upgrade to a Vstrom after that bike. It's my first street bike except one I owned 20 years ago and I only had that a few months but I grew up on dirt bikes, which helps allot.

I say go for it though, looks like a good deal. Check online to see what they book for also; then you can make an offer after you check out the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts