StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to reach out to the electronics gurus out there. I have a 5 pin J&M headset installed in a new helmet. I also have a Midland GXT950 GMRS radio that begs to be connected to said headset, thereby creating a pretty nifty communications set-up. This is where you come in.

Sierra Electronics makes an interface cable that connects all Midland CB radios to a 5 pin J&M harness...however my radio is GMRS, not CB. (I have already tried and the CB cable won't key the GMRS.)

Now, given the popularity of FM vs. AM communications, one would think GMRS would be superior to a CB these days, and I can't believe someone, somewhere hasn't done this yet.

Does anyone know of an interface cable that will make this happen for me?

Ronnie Lyons
Meridian, Idaho
[email protected]

·
Registered
424 Posts
Time to reach out to the electronics gurus out there. I have a 5 pin J&M headset installed in a new helmet. I also have a Midland GXT950 GMRS radio that begs to be connected to said headset, thereby creating a pretty nifty communications set-up. This is where you come in.

Sierra Electronics makes an interface cable that connects all Midland CB radios to a 5 pin J&M harness...however my radio is GMRS, not CB. (I have already tried and the CB cable won't key the GMRS.)

Now, given the popularity of FM vs. AM communications, one would think GMRS would be superior to a CB these days, and I can't believe someone, somewhere hasn't done this yet.

Does anyone know of an interface cable that will make this happen for me?

Ronnie Lyons
Meridian, Idaho
[email protected]
Something here?
Anything like this?

Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, that's where it all starts. I need a cable like you're holding, but custom made. The round 5 pin is what J&M uses for the headsets, and Midland uses a dual-pin style plug that plugs into the side of the radio. Because the Midland has two dual pin (both mono style plugs) jacks, we're only talking a total of two circuits, one for speakers and one for mike. (You don't really need the PTT switch because Midland radios have a 9 level adjustable VOX feature that'll eliminate the PTT switch if you wanted to get fancy. )

The problem with the existing Sierra Electronics cable for CB's is it's not wired correctly to work with the GMRS radio, so only the audio part of the Sierra cable works but not the microphone side. When I push the PTT switch it won't key the radio.

Why not just use a headset designed for the GMRS? All the available aftermarket headsets are quite marginal in either design or performance. I have a $250 J&M headset mounted in a helmet that does nothing but sit on the shelf and collect dust, and I know if I can connect the two it'll be a marriage made in heaven.

I'm need someone well versed in audio stuff, to wire me a cable to match the Midland GMRS schematic, and I'll even collect all the parts and schematics and mail it to them, and pay them to do it. Surely there has to be someone out there that builds this type of audio / sound / surveillance equipment...I just haven't found them yet.

The J&M folk are understanding and tell me I have a great idea, but they weren't interested in making just one cable. Well, I don't believe it'll be a one-off job given the popularity of GMRS and the convenience of helmet mounted, high quality headsets.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Midland jacks aren't both mono. The headset jack is a mono, the mic jack has 3 channels, Mic, PTT, and Ground. In total they both have 5 wires so it should be an easy solder job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, that's where it all starts. I need a cable like you're holding, but custom made. The round 5 pin is what J&M uses for the headsets, and Midland uses a dual-pin style plug that plugs into the side of the radio. Because the Midland has two dual pin (both mono style plugs) jacks, we're only talking a total of two circuits, one for speakers and one for mike. (You don't really need the PTT switch because Midland radios have a 9 level adjustable VOX feature that'll eliminate the PTT switch if you wanted to get fancy. )

The problem with the existing Sierra Electronics cable for CB's is it's not wired correctly to work with the GMRS radio, so only the audio part of the Sierra cable works but not the microphone side. When I push the PTT switch it won't key the radio.

Why not just use a headset designed for the GMRS? All the available aftermarket headsets are quite marginal in either design or performance. I have a $250 J&M headset mounted in a helmet that does nothing but sit on the shelf and collect dust, and I know if I can connect the two it'll be a marriage made in heaven.

I'm need someone well versed in audio stuff, to wire me a cable to match the Midland GMRS schematic, and I'll even collect all the parts and schematics and mail it to them, and pay them to do it. Surely there has to be someone out there that builds this type of audio / sound / surveillance equipment...I just haven't found them yet.

The J&M folk are understanding and tell me I have a great idea, but they weren't interested in making just one cable. Well, I don't believe it'll be a one-off job given the popularity of GMRS and the convenience of helmet mounted, high quality headsets.
If you can secure all the connectors, cables, shipping, and schematics, I can solder the wires for you. PM me if you want to chat some more.

·
Registered
424 Posts

They are from an old AH27 Chatterbox CB
Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks just like the Sierra cord I bought, but found out it's not wired to work with GMRS radios. Sierra is a great source, they were very understanding and took it back 2 months later.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Looks close to the connector you need but not quite.

This is the connector on my Midland AVP-H1 headset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts