StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say congratulations to Robert Wilensky for finishing in 26th place riding a DL1000. Robert completed 10,391 miles in the 11 day rally.
Well done.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'll second that. That's quite an accomplishment.

This year's V-Strom involved IBA events will unfortunately be mainly remembered for Jim Winterer's crash and especially Ken Morton's death. A little good news helps, but not enough.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Greywolf,

I'm not familiar with Ken Morton. Was he a competitor or a volunteer worker?
OOPS! Sorry, I see the answer to my question in the 650 area.
Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Iron Butt Finisher

Rob is a great rider and friend. He did a great job and the Vee ran without a hitch. Congrats on a great ride.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob is a great rider and friend. He did a great job and the Vee ran without a hitch. Congrats on a great ride.
Don't suppose you have any pictures of his bike decked out for LD riding. I would love to see his dash set up and aux. fuel cell.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yay Robert!

Robert is a great guy, he gave me a lot of help and great information when I took my first stab at IB last March. He's a hell of a rider and I'm not at all suprised he kicked ass in that rally.

He's a credit to Stromtroopers worldwide!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Don't suppose you have any pictures of his bike decked out for LD riding. I would love to see his dash set up and aux. fuel cell.
I have some at home from last October, although he's updated the fuel cell since then.

I'll try to remember to post them this evening or tomorrow for you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, but too bad they kept listing his bike as a Yamaha DL1000
Jealousy is the greatest form of flattery - congrats to another Iron Butter!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The windscreen isn't stock and is Madstad mounted. The lack of a fork brace does surprise me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
My mistake, the tinted bottom through me off. I should have noticed that the bottom of the shield was much too straight to be stock.

I saw the MadStad bracket which didn't surprise me one bit.

The reservoir on the left side by the passenger peg is for liquid refreshment or more fuel? I couldn't tell.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
IIRC, the Lift Master is his garage door opener. The small round tank on the side is for hydration. The Post-It notes you see on the tank bag list all the stuff he has in each of the four major cargo holds, two forward, the tank panniers, and two aft, the side bags. Over the winter he put in a new, low-profile tank to replace the "beer keg."

The two items you can't really see that I found interesting are the anti-cop system, which is a radar/laser detector and laser "scrambler," and the SPOT GPS. The SPOT was featured here in somebody's blog of their ride to Mexico last Spring. There are also dual GPS, and a comm system.

There is so much stuff on the bike that to use 6th gear, he had to go to a 3 or 4 tooth smaller rear sprocket. Last time we talked, the bike's mileage was near 65k miles; by now it must be closer to 100k.

It really speaks well for the Vee that it can stand up to this type of use without anything more than typical maintenance and service.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Rob, congrats from myself and Mark Campbell on your IBR finish! I met you at the '09 IBR start and sat at your table at Moonshine this year. Helluva ride! I've been looking for the pax peg drink holder. Lemme know where you got it from. See you at Moonshine 2012! again congrats!!:hurray:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Congrats! Amazing achievement!

·
Registered
628 Posts
The IBR this year required a lot of Interstate riding. That is why the overall mileages were so high. If you want to see the actual routes the riders took, go to IronButtRally.com, click on the year 2011, then on the Spot Tracks Video. Each rider is identified by an individual number (I don't know which is which) and you can see how much "slab time" they had. Much of the time it appears they were running very close together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts