StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a 650 with luggage and such and selling my 2001 Concours, so my first question is this.

Will it do at least 80-85mph for an hour and a half in 115-120F weather without eating oil, getting hot, or being needy? Doing that, what sort of MPG(US) should I expect?

Assuming stock gearing here, I don't really like to screw with things and leave them pretty factory much of the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've cruised mine 2up 80-85 four an hour or longer with full gear in 90+temps with no issue. Couldn't tell you on the 100+temps for sure but doubt that you would have an problems at all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a 2002 Concours and I rarely ride it anymore since I purchased a Vee. The Wee will get much better mileage, (I only average in the low 40s on a good day on the Kaw). If you don't plan on packing double, I would get the wee. As far as riding in the heat, ANYTHING will beat the connie. The ZG has to be one of the HOTTEST bikes to ride when summer really heats up. Being water cooled, the wee shouldn't use any appreciable amounts of oil unless it has any other mechanical issues.

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
I did two and a half days from Utah to The Greater Toronto Area a few years back on my 2006 DL650. I had around 115,000 miles on it at the time. Most of the riding was in the 85 to 90 mph range with temps over 90 and much of it close to 100. I did about 3,200 km iirc or about 2,000 miles. The bike was loaded up with tenting gear etc. It needed a top up of oil at the end of each day.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The wee will do it but its a busy engine. Mine is turning about 5600 at a true 70 mph (by gps). FWIW, at 80-85 its not going to have much left power wise. Last year I ran some high speed runs on mine with factory luggage. It was pretty close to done at 105 (gps), it had tach left but not the power to pull it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the V-Strom 1000 geared any better for freeway cruising? Does seem like it'd be working really damn hard if its turning those kind of revs below 80mph, I'm turning 5100rpm at 85mph with a 10.5k redline in 6th gear right now.

I hadn't really thought about oil consumption on these bikes at speed until I started poking around these and the advrider forums, I didn't know that was a "thing", but then again I've always had 4cyls of 700+cc!

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I'm considering getting a 650 with luggage and such and selling my 2001 Concours, so my first question is this.

Will it do at least 80-85mph for an hour and a half in 115-120F weather without eating oil, getting hot, or being needy? Doing that, what sort of MPG(US) should I expect?

Assuming stock gearing here, I don't really like to screw with things and leave them pretty factory much of the time.
A lot depends on whether you mean 80-85 on the speedo, which is around 75mph in reality (for both bikes) or actual 80-85, which is going to show close to 95. If the former, the wee will be fine, I do that all the time. If the latter though, the bike will do it but you'll notice the oil consumption will go up a little and you'll have very little reserve power. MPG north of a real 80mph is going to be in the low 40s.
I came from a Connie to the Wee, and while I like the bike much better overall extended high speed blasts are one thing the Connie did a little better.
The Vee would be the better choice if that sort of riding is the bulk of what you do.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Is the V-Strom 1000 geared any better for freeway cruising? Does seem like it'd be working really damn hard if its turning those kind of revs below 80mph, I'm turning 5100rpm at 85mph with a 10.5k redline in 6th gear right now.

I hadn't really thought about oil consumption on these bikes at speed until I started poking around these and the advrider forums, I didn't know that was a "thing", but then again I've always had 4cyls of 700+cc!
I would presume the 1000 strom is much more relaxed. I've not ridden one but I had its kissin' cousin, the SV1000. That bike had a very tall sixth gear and could have happily cruised at those speeds as long as you wanted to sit on it.
One other thing, when we were running at those higher sustained speeds the mileage dropped to around the low 40s, the only time I saw it go below 50mpg. To be fair I did about 3 top speed runs on that leg, of about 2 miles each, the rest of the time we were running around a true 80 (not the bs speedometer 80 subtract 10% for speedo error)

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts

Some feel the DL1000 is geared a bit too tall for day to day riding. Shortening the gearing a bit makes that bike come alive. Others make the DL650 gearing a bit taller (I did on my 2006 but strangely don't feel compelled to do so on the 2012.) Realize this is a SIMPLE thing to do. Not a lot harder than doing an oil change.

With respect to your original question both the DL650 and DL1000 are very comfy doing 85 to 90 mph all day in hot weather. The oil consumption is a very minor issue at best.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Being something of a power fiend. I'd a lot rather gear a more powerful bike down than I would gear a marginally powered bike up.:yikes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
gsx1100f katana to wee

I recently bought a 2011 wee with 3124 mls on it .I still have a Katana 1100 that I saw 170 mph on the speedo.True top for it was around 160.I love the way the wee just potter along at 70 -75. I did give it a quick run upto 105 on the speedo , I found it did that in 5th gear and 6th did,nt seem any faster.It has trunk and hard luggage also,I did 100 with the wife on the back too.I dont know to true top speed yet as I am waiting for a new GPS for it.That bigkat would cruise at 120 all day long ,I dont miss the high speed any more as I am 71 yrs old now.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I recently bought a 2011 wee with 3124 mls on it .I still have a Katana 1100 that I saw 170 mph on the speedo.True top for it was around 160.I love the way the wee just potter along at 70 -75. I did give it a quick run upto 105 on the speedo , I found it did that in 5th gear and 6th did,nt seem any faster.It has trunk and hard luggage also,I did 100 with the wife on the back too.I dont know to true top speed yet as I am waiting for a new GPS for it.That bigkat would cruise at 120 all day long ,I dont miss the high speed any more as I am 71 yrs old now.
I hope you post back with your results. Mine with hard luggage and trunk was done at 105 by gps (add 10% for speedo. Plenty of tach left but no power to pull it. I got there by essentially running it out in 5th, but just no pulling power left in 6th at that speed. If I had let it run for miles it might have crept up slightly but not much.
Its certainly different than my C14 that can easily pull 105...........in third.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I hope you post back with your results. Mine with hard luggage and trunk was done at 105 by gps (add 10% for speedo. Plenty of tach left but no power to pull it. I got there by essentially running it out in 5th, but just no pulling power left in 6th at that speed. If I had let it run for miles it might have crept up slightly but not much.
Its certainly different than my C14 that can easily pull 105...........in third.
Joe S.
Just curious, 6 bikes is a lot of horses to have in your stable, many of which seem to overlap each other. My question is which do you find yourself riding the most?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Xipher:

I can't remember the exact RPM's the DL1000 pulls in 6th gear at 70+. But it was considerably less than 5500. The 6th gear on the DL1000 (i.e. VEE) is much more of an overdrive.

You might post question in the DL1000 section as well. They will know for sure. My experience was for about 2 weeks straight a couple of years ago. When my mechanic and I swapped for awhile. He rode my Wee (and checked valves) and I rode his Vee.

Based solely on the way you worded your query I would suspect you would be happier with the Vee. It is always easier to have power you don't use, than not have it when you want it. And if you are doing hours at time at 80-85 mph (particularly if you are packed down or riding 2-up) I would seriously consider the Vee.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Joe S.
Just curious, 6 bikes is a lot of horses to have in your stable, many of which seem to overlap each other. My question is which do you find yourself riding the most?
I like lots of horses in my stable.
Right now I think it goes like this.
Concours (newest and shiniest toy and just flat out one of the most competent bikes I've ever ridden)
Dyna (an old friend that will be the last to leave the garage)
1050 Tiger (a fairly sharp drop off in miles when we get here)
650 Strom (mainly if I expect to do dirt roads
XR1200& BMW R100 (pretty close to a tie)

In my mind the only ones that really overlap are the Strom and the Tiger. Buying the Strom was probably a mistake but it is useful in the sense of dirt roads as I don't like to beat the Tiger up like that. maybe should have just come to terms with it and done it anyway, or sold the Tiger and tried to come up with some sort of adv bike compromise. hate to give up that screamin' three cylinder motor though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I like lots of horses in my stable.
Right now I think it goes like this.
Concours (newest and shiniest toy and just flat out one of the most competent bikes I've ever ridden)
Dyna (an old friend that will be the last to leave the garage)
1050 Tiger (a fairly sharp drop off in miles when we get here)
650 Strom (mainly if I expect to do dirt roads
XR1200& BMW R100 (pretty close to a tie)
That's cool. There is nothing wrong with a little motor bike indulgence. I forgot what the XR looked like (thought it was more similar to the FXD). Very nice collection. I personally like the Connie as well but plan to go another direction and buy either a WR250 or TW to use in the back country when travelling. I do really like my L2 Strom but almost held out for the 800 XC. No regrets though. Thanks for sharing some story behind your stable.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sustained high speed highway miles is probably the only advantage the Vee has over the Wee. I don't memorise RPMs etc, but I do know there is no point even thinking about changing into top gear until you are doing at least 65mph. It is VERY relaxed at high speeds and will happily do them all day long. The Vee's fuel economy also improves significantly in such a scenario.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Just getting home from a long road trip with a buddy riding his 650 , and me the 1000 , every time we stopped for fuel , it was almost a wash. There was never a fill up were I added more than 1/2 gallon total more than the 650. If higher speeds (70+) are going to be the norm , there is no real fuel advantage of the 650 over the 1000.

·
Registered
227 Posts
IIRC my Vee with stock gearing will be running 86mph (95mph indicated on speedo) at 5000 rpms. At a speedo indicated 135mph the GPS was reading 121mph (sorry mate, I didn't care to look at the tach).

On the back roads here I hardly ever use 6th. Heck sometimes I don't even use 5th.

Granted my bike is fairly new (bought Feb 19th this year) it has hasn't used any oil it the 8000 miles its been so far. This last trip was 1300 miles and I wasn't letting any grass grow beneath me if you know what I mean and the bike never complained. My only complaint is the wind buffeting BUT I knew about that before I bought it so no whinin here.

The Vee does have some fueling problems but if you buy new they'll probably put a new ECM in it for you which helped my bike a lot though a PC-V may still be in the cards for me.

Good luck...

·
Registered
59 Posts

It'll do that speed but you will have to get used to the higher revs compared to your Concours. I came from a 1200RT and at highway speeds I do miss the RT for it's smoothness but overall I like the lightness/nimbleness of the V-strom. Less $$ too. I ended up with a DRZ 400 in addition the Wee/Glee for what I got for the RT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts