StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Joe Rocket jacket that has a zipper at the lower back that is about a foot long. It's purpose is to attach riding pants so that you have less wind invasion. That is obvious, but at what point do you link them together?

Are you supposed to zip them first and then slip into the pants? I think I'd lose everything in my jacket pockets doing that. Or, do you put both on separately and then struggle to find the zipper ends? Sounds a little tricky. I have memories of putting a rubberized rain suit over wet leather and it nearly drove me insane getting in and out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
It may help with the wind, but I think that the primary purpose is to keep your jacket/coat from pulling up & your pants from pulling down while you're sliding down the pavement.

I have had a similar thought...

How the hell do you do that?

I don't.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Don't really have an answer on how to put them on, but I always thought the pieces zipped together to protect you in a crash. I've never used mine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It may help with the wind, but I think that the primary purpose is to keep your jacket/coat from pulling up & your pants from pulling down while you're sliding down the pavement.
Ding ding ding! :thumbup:

It's really not that hard. Get the 2 ends together and move the zipper around till it stops. When you buy a jacket or pants with a zipper, they give you both ends of the zipper so you can have the other end sewn into your favorite counterpart. Some gear comes with a short zipper for just the back side, but I feel much more comfortable with my 2-piece gear with a zipper that goes around the circumference of my waist. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have 2 Tourmaster jackets and 1 pair of Tourmaster pants and all 3 have different zippers!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
598 Posts
Previously I had Fieldsheer gear with the short zipper in the back. You just have to reach back and zip it by feel. I now have the Motoport waist cut jacket and pants, with "circumferential" zipper that extends forward around both hips. Motoport emphasizes the importance of such a zipper only for waist cut jackets, but I think I would opt for it and use it even if my jacket were longer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's easy to connect them after they on on. I always zip my shorter length mesh jacket to my riding pants, I sometimes zip my 3/4 length jacket. The last thing I want is exposed flesh while sliding on my back down the road!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Or, do you put both on separately and then struggle to find the zipper ends? Sounds a little tricky.
I put both pant and jacket on. Doing the zipper up is really quite easy, assuming they match, which they do on my Joe Rocket (I bought it in spite of the name) long-jacket and pants. If you're built so that you can't get both hands together behind your back at belt level, or suffer from poor proprioception, you might have problems.

I find doing up the zipper helps keep drafts from riding up one's back, and I hope it will be strong enough to help keep the two garments together when I next go sliding.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I tried the zipper a couple of times on my Joe Rocket gear. It worked fine to do it myself, but you could have someone help if you weren't able to figure it out or reach it.

I didn't really see any benefit zipping them together so just don't bother anymore.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket jacket that has a zipper at the lower back that is about a foot long. It's purpose is to attach riding pants so that you have less wind invasion. That is obvious, but at what point do you link them together?

Are you supposed to zip them first and then slip into the pants? I think I'd lose everything in my jacket pockets doing that. Or, do you put both on separately and then struggle to find the zipper ends? Sounds a little tricky. I have memories of putting a rubberized rain suit over wet leather and it nearly drove me insane getting in and out of it.
1) If the wind is lifting your jacket, your jacket is WAY too big for you. The zipper is to stop the jacket from riding up your back if/when you slide down the road.

2) Can you unhook a bra? That zipper is way easier.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have Firstgear, with short zipper

pantts and jacket go on separately

then I reach behind and connect the zipper and zip it shut - quite easy (no gloves on hand, yet)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didn't really see any benefit zipping them together so just don't bother anymore.
Imagine yourself sliding down the pavement feet first. Now imagine your jacket catches onto something and rides up. Finally, imagine the road rash that is now along your torso because the jacket did not remain in place with a simple zip to the pants. The 2 seconds it takes to make the zip is a no-brainer to me :beatnik:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a few different jackets and pants, with mismatching zippers. I like using the zippers as the jackets don't ride up and they'll stay in place in a crash. I've phoned the customer service for both Fieldsheer and First Gear and they've sent me extra zippers, free of charge, which I then sew onto the corresponding pants or jacket. You can always use the extra piece they give you, but I like to keep them to use for when the jacket is worn alone, so I don't have an open zipper rubbing against my back and clothes.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,421 Posts
Actually the zippers are very easy to attach! Problem is that different gear has different zippers. They are a big deal in a crash situation, even the short zipper is effective, the better gear has a near full circumference zipper and can be classed as a one piece suit for track gear. 3/4 Jackets are claimed to not need a zipper to keep them from riding up in a crash. I just ordered Motoport gear and went with the two piece setup with the 3/4 jacket instead of the one piece suit. I think that will be just as fast as a one piece to put on and more versatile.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,421 Posts
Strangely enough, my Tecnik 3/4 jacket has a zipper, and my motoport regular length jacket does not.
You can order the Motoport with or without the zippers. They do recommend the zipper on the waist length jackets. On the Motoport 3/4 jackets you can get the full circumference zipper which when attached to their pants makes a track legal "one piece" suit. I thought long and hard about the zipper and left it off the 3/4 jacket.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My 3/4 length Firstgear has a zipper, and would DEFINITELY ride up in a crash if I slid the wrong way.

My alpinestars leathers have a basically full circumference zipper which I vastly prefer... most non-leather gear seems to have a 10"ish zipper on the back, though.

As everyone has said, it's nothing to do with riding comfort on the bike, it's all to do with non-riding-up-and-tearing-your-skin-off comfort while unexpectedly NOT on the bike :)

I just put the pants and then the jacket on, and reach back and zip them. Not sure what the issue might be with that.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
My jacket and pants link at the front, not the back - it's kinda weird.......just kidding.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two thumbs up for full zippers

One of the many great things about AeroStich two-piece suits is the full circumference zipper that attaches the 3/4 jacket to the pants. It's the right way to do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts