StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at replacing my 06 DR650 and found a great price on leftover V-Strom 650. The DR basically kept me riding with back issues although the V-Strom has less travel and from what I've heard, it's not a totally great package to start with. Looking at the aftermarket, are there any companies who stand out for making a quality suspension package? Something which really deals with stutter bumps/broken pavement really well, great compliance and lots of adjustment. I feel I saved enough on the bike so the cost can be absorbed a bit more easily. Any suggestions or owner's experiences?
Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Call Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. Jeff is the guy who tunes the non-Beemers. Ask for him and explain what you're looking for. They deal with lots of different brands and have the know-how to fit you right. They've done three of my bikes with great results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good info. I may have to take a trip up to Idaho next Spring. If anyone knows of a shop in Colorado that will build suspension for a big guy, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cogent Dynamics also offers suspension upgrades. Do it yourself drop in kits for front forks and a couple of rear shock options. I installed the springs and cartridges and noticed a huge improvement. Great for street use, not sure about any heavy duty off road situations.

I'm saving my pennies for a rear shock now.

There are lots of options for suspensions depending on your size, riding style, and riding habits (on or off road, loaded down, etc.)
Ted Porter is awesome
Sasquatch is great too

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Looking at replacing my 06 DR650 and found a great price on leftover V-Strom 650. The DR basically kept me riding with back issues although the V-Strom has less travel and from what I've heard, it's not a totally great package to start with. Looking at the aftermarket, are there any companies who stand out for making a quality suspension package? Something which really deals with stutter bumps/broken pavement really well, great compliance and lots of adjustment. I feel I saved enough on the bike so the cost can be absorbed a bit more easily. Any suggestions or owner's experiences?
Thanks.

Maybe you should ride the bike for awhile before sending your suspension off?

Might not be as bad as you've "heard"! :grin2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No doubt I will post some miles on it before pulling anything apart, at least to to gain a baseline for future
modifications. That said, I'm use to working with 10" of suspension travel and unless the V-Strom is very well sorted, I anticipate some mods at the very least in future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts