StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is very interesting. How are replacement bulb and first aid kit rules enforced? What type of reflective jackets are required?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is very interesting. How are replacement bulb and first aid kit rules enforced? What type of reflective jackets are required?
Police can & do stop motorists to check they have everything (never happened to me on the bike but quite a few time in the car). Far more common is that they ask to see them if they have stopped you for anything else.

As for the reflective jackets I think anything from expensive hi-vis motorcycle jackets to your standard €2 hi-vis vest you pick up in a garage will do as long as it meets the European standard (Goggle EN471). I hear that countries where this is compulsory they are very strict on it.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Y'all need a Bill of Rights.

Police can & do stop motorists to check they have everything ...
We Americans cherish two concepts that stymie such nonsense.

First: we are innocent until proven guilty.

Second: we don't need to submit to searches without warrants.

No cop in the U.S.A. can force a citizen to answer a
question, or to permit a search of person or baggage.

Maybe the New World can teach the Old World something important.

Cheers!
Keith

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
I think the GB is for Great Britain.
It used to mean Global Britain.
When Scotland secedes from England it will mean lesser Britain and no longer be compulsory.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Cheers!
Keith
...and you'd hang your hat on that? Perhaps it's time to update your research on the law of search and seizure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last summer I did a 10 day ride through the Alps of Germany,Austria, Italy and Switzerland through Edelweiss tours. I remember that we had to have the first aid kits on the bikes but nothing ever said about reflective gear etc..Planing on going back in 2013. :hurray:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The first aid kit requirement is kind of goofy. Nice to have along but really, is it that critical? Seems like a good example of regulators run amok.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts

Cheers!
Keith
You havn't flown anywhere lately then ?

Pete

·
Registered
121 Posts
You havn't flown anywhere lately then ?

Pete
To my Strommer brothern in the U.S.. Regardless of your opinions of the constitutionality of the various countries rules in Europe, just as we require/demand that others follow our rules when traveling in the U.S., respect other countries rules as well when traveling in theirs, whether you agree with them or not. Though you may think the rules in Europe invade your personal liberties, I can assure you that in Europe most if not all the rules are followed and I personally have no problem doing the same, adherence to these rules make MOST Europeans much more attuned to respecting motorcycles on the road, much more than in the U.S..

I'm a displaced Florida boy currently working and living in Germany and have ridden my K9 Vee in Germany, Austria, Slovakia, France and Switzerland in the last year, so I can make these comparisons with some voice of experience. Though at home in Florida I have the choice of wearing a helmet or not, I do, as well as wearing full kit when going further than the local 7-11. You never know when something bad can happen. Just a week ago I was in Bern, Switzerland for work and on the way to work it was raining and when trying to "jigger" across a tram track in the middle of the street, I dumped the bike. I was only doing maybe 5 mph due to traffic, but the back tire kicked out and I was laying on my right side in less than 1/10 of a second. :headbang: Due to crash bars and pannier racks on the back, there was less than 300 USD damage to bike. :hurray: But the fall ripped my right riding suit pant leg and afterwards assessing both my personal bodily damage as well as bike damage, I noticed there was a bit of a scrap on the right side of my helmet right where the visor attaches to the helmet. Though the damage to the helmet was light, I can assure you that it would have messed up the right side of my face/head, if I had NOT been wearing a helmet and my right leg would probably have suffered worse than just a couple of bruises from where the bike fell on it then if I had not been wearing proper riding gear.

Just my 2 cents worth on adhering to the local rules of the road, regardless of where in the world you maybe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is per law in this countries. So they can check wether you have it or not. You don't need to answer their questions you just need to show them compulsory items.
:fineprint:

Cheers!
Keith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - just my experience, but on my last two trips to france [2011/2012] we were travelling in a group some of us with bright vests some not, we came across some motobike gendarme who advised us that if we were spotted again without the vests we would be fined! they certainly don't look cool [the vests] but i'll look silly over a fine anyday lol!! [and yes, most drivers do take note of the vest and pull over - score!]

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts

Cheers!
Keith
Lol, what a statement! First, same goes here. Second, it's kind of the same as a broken tail light or something of the sort: i.e. you're not going to jail for breaking this rule, you're getting a fine. Where I'm from (a different European country) we don't have those rules, but I live where they do, so I bought a kit and a vest. A kit which is a useful thing to have in any case.

I visited D.C. some months ago. Only place I saw so many cops was in Uzbekistan, which one can aruge is a police state. In the subway, there was this recorded messagve every ten minutes or so by a lady from Homeland Security urging people to report things that they thought was suspicious. It was a totally Orwellian experience, and it creeped me out - so cops can't search you, but the peer fear mongering is ripe. I'll have the old world ways any day, thank you very much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well if they are expecting me to squeeze in some useless first aid kit and some pointless hi vis loser bib in my tailpack for no reason whatsoever they can get lost. The mrs shoves enough useless rubbish in it.

And hi vis's ... sorry darling but i wouldnt be seen dead in one ... (i'll wait for some clever schmuck to write some witty retort on that) First aid kits are only ever any use for someone who knows how to use one. 99% of the dopey idiots on the road wouldnt have a clue.

I look on riding a bike as if I crash it will either be A) a pathetically tiny off and i will go "ow you bugger" followed by getting straight back on to avoid anyone who might have seen me being a spak or B) I will be completely messed up and need somewhat more than a sticking plaster or that bad one.....C) brown bread.

Thankfully in 10 years of riding 30,000 a year. I havent had any of the above. Long may it be the case.

If i get stopped and they give me a fine. Big whoop.

Just my opinion and your welcome to judge as much as you like of course :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I see that radar detectors are "Forbidden" in all the countries listed. Didn't realize that. What happens if you use one? Do they utilize "detector detectors" like some provinces here in Canada (Ontario). I contemplated taking my detector with me the last couple of times but soon realized that the speed limits are relatively loosely enforced (on the continent anyway) so didn't really need it. The speed cameras however are another story. I can see where the GPS' that have the locations are an asset.

Rod

·
Registered
310 Posts
I see that radar detectors are "Forbidden" in all the countries listed. Didn't realize that. What happens if you use one? Do they utilize "detector detectors" like some provinces here in Canada (Ontario). I contemplated taking my detector with me the last couple of times but soon realized that the speed limits are relatively loosely enforced (on the continent anyway) so didn't really need it. The speed cameras however are another story. I can see where the GPS' that have the locations are an asset.

Rod
It varies by country but the fines can get very high. Don't know about radar detector detector usage.

Germany = 75€ fine an immediate destruction of the detector.
Croatia = ~270€
Spain = up to 6000€ fine

If you get caught, basically expect to pay money and lose the detector. In the end, we are guests in their countries just like we ask them not the feed the bears in Banff ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
".......Spain = up to 6000€ fine....."

Yikes!!! Was there a couple of years ago, going again in Sept. Leave the RD at home for certain now!
Rod

1 - 20 of 34 Posts