StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've now switched myself over to a pretty much street dedicated tire, I figure I need to be better prepared to handle airing down and up for different pressures on the go in the event that I run into some dirt.

With that in mind, I'm looking at the different compressor options, as well as bicycle style hand pumps and CO2 inflators. I'm not crazy about the CO2, as it seems a bit goofy having to depend on consumable cartridges at $1 apiece or similar, but I'm open to suggestions.

Folks seem to recommend the Slime compressor, but the reviews are marginal on amazon and similar regarding reliability etc.

Between the slime, and the compressor options listed on aerostich's website (cheap, cheaper, expensive), any suggestions?

Alternately, I could pack a bicycle hand pump, but it seems they might take ages to properly air up a rear tire, and I'm not sure it's not a false economy.

Not an urgent matter, but I'd like to have it figured out before any adventures that may come this summer...

Thanks all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a CyclePump air compressor it's a bit pricey but worth it. I use it a lot. It fits under the seat with no problems. If you were to get this I would also get the tire gauge that connects to it.
CyclePump

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see a connecting tire gauge anywhere... linky?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a slime compressor that has always done the job. I also have a bicycle floor pump that I use for keeping the tires topped up.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
526 Posts
I considered the $100 option but went with the Stop & Go. It plugs into my Batterry Tender plug and fits under the seat. It's worked fine so far for airing up the tires but i haven't done a full inflate from flat yet (knock on wood). Grab some tire plugs while your assembling your kit.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the rubber mushroom plugger thing in my tool tube. Covered in that regard. I've got a decent gauge, but having one inline would be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the slime and only used it once to top off part way through a trip. It's worked so far.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I carry one of each: Slime compressor, CO2, and bicycle pump.

The compressor gets the most use, airing up after getting back to the pavement.

The CO2 was a joke, but I may not have used it right. I still carry it.

Never used the bicycle pump, would take near an hour I guess.

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
Probably all the little compressors are made by the same company and come in different packages. I got one from a friend that was in a huge box and with all the plastic off it rolls up in a shop rag and gets shoved under the seat. Some have a heavy gauge shroud of metal that keeps your fingers out of the gears.
For Flats the CO2 is handy for a fast fill, Hair spray and a match works too, for the experienced only!
For the lowering of pressure for a dirt road, the pump would be nice. Be sure you run the engine or your tires will be at 40 pounds and the engine won't start because you drained the battery.
I had a friend plug a new tire with a nail in it with a Stop an Go plug, lasted 300 miles and failed. I like the Worms better. Good enough for truckers, good enough for me.
If you're serious you could get a small bottle and fill it with CO2. A friend uses that on his 4WD truck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I got a $7 one from Harbor Freight...good enough for occasional use.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
As I've now switched myself over to a pretty much street dedicated tire, I figure I need to be better prepared to handle airing down and up for different pressures on the go in the event that I run into some dirt.

Just some thoughts. If you are only going to be riding street, and the very occasional dirt road, why bother? Why bother to carry a compressor, when you will have access to help, (while on a paved road.).

And, just for the sake of comparison, I have NEVER "aired down, or up" when switching road surfaces. I have never had a problem riding from a paved surface on to a gravel / dirt surface, or the opposite. I totally ignore what the "experts" say on this topic.

The only reason that I carry a 12v air compressor is, to fix flat tires.

B.L.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts