StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the Saddlesore 1k this past Saturday. I can honestly say it wasn't as bad as I expected. The closest comparison I had to 1k miles in a day was maybe 600 or so. That was on my previous sportbike so I was in quite a bit more pain due to the ergonomics of it.

The V-Strom took it like a champ. I added a couple comfort farkles before the ride. I put on a Madstad bracket + Madstad 22" Adventure Screen. I also ordered some highway pegs to clamp onto my crashbars. The new screen made a huge difference. I've never used a tall shield before, and the difference on the highway is amazing. I was iffy on how the clamped on highway pegs would work since they are fairly high up. I put some foam padding over the pegs and rested the back of my legs on top of the pegs for the most part. They worked out very well as I have bad knees and they normally cramp up on short 350 mile rides. Had no issues with my knees on this whole ride.

Also got to use my Camelbak for the first time. Worked great and kept me hydrated. No complaints. My friend had a cheaper version of the Camelbak bladder and he said his tasted like plastic.

I also used my beadrider seat cover over my Suzuki gel seat. Worked out real well as I had no pain in my ass (although the rain we hit was a bit of a pain in the ass) at all. Back of my upper thighs are a bit tender the day after, but not really that bad. I've had much worse on fewer mile days on my last bike.

We left Rochester, NY at 6am, made it to the Kentucky border near Cincinatti at around 3pm (can't remember exactly), and got home at 1am. I'd say we managed our time fairly well and did pretty good considering we haven't really done many long rides this season due to a hectic year.

We hit a ton of rain that just would not let up. I'd say close to 75% of the ride was in the rain. Maybe a little less. My Aerostich Roadcrafter did it's job and I stayed completely dry other than my boots. It was raining for so long that the rain eventually soaked through the laces and made my boots damp inside.

My biggest pain was in my lower back. I sit all day at work, hunched over infront of a computer. I sit more straight up on my bike than I do in my chair at work. My back just probably doesn't have the proper muscles to hold my back straight like that all day. Other than doing some back exercises, not sure I can do much about that. Maybe some risers would help, not sure.

Only regret I had was not bringing my heated jacket liner. The forecast had a high of 78 or so, but the low at night/morning was 58. It got pretty cold but luckily I brought an extra sweater. The cold probably accelerated my back aches as well.

All in all, I'm happy we did it and it wasn't as bad as I expected :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Congratulations. One of these days I might have to give the 1K a try - sometime after I get around to getting a Russell Day Long. I already use beads and they help a lot, but I don't think I could go that far on them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Congrats! (especially with all that rain).

I bet a back rest will help your low back pain. (I'll be getting a RDL with a back rest this winter, but for now I use a duffel stuffed with my sleeping bag, secured to the passenger seat as a poor man's back rest.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I feel a little perturbed at my lack of mileage in a day. The most I've done in a day since I started riding again is about 400 miles, and my back was trashed. I'm about to do 700 miles in a day at the end of this month, then 300 miles of riding for two days and 700 on the return day. To combat the back pain I've purchased a BackAline. I'll get to try it in a week to see if it really works as advertised.

I'm also taking my sheepskin for the seat for the other obvious problem you described.

Congrats on 1k in a day!

·
Registered
294 Posts
heated gear is always in my kit when I go on a trip, never know when yer gonna want to use it

on my first SS1k, 700miles was in the rain and I got wet, at least I was still warm :mrgreen:
Staying warm is crucial to my comfort.

I have to ask, what gloves did you use?

I just finished doing my own peg lowering plates (similar to RR's but different dimensions) plus a Rox Riser and Protaper ATV Mid handlebar conversion and I can't believe how much more comfortable the bike is now, I FRIGGEN LOVE IT!!!

It has completely transformed how the bike feels to me in so many ways. It's not only more comfortable but now it feels like a big dirtbike and allows me to move around more and use my body position like on a dirtbike so the bike feels more agile to me.

The slightly wider bars also gives more leverage for tossing it into corners. I did about 100 miles through some seriously twisty mountain roads yesterday and I got to the point where it felt like I should be brake sliding into corners with my foot out sitting up super motoard style. I didn't actually do that but the bike started to make me feel that comfortable riding. I never felt like that before on the bike. It's also much better now for standing up.

It also makes it much more comfy just cruising the slab as my body is at a more natural position including my wrists, knees, and back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey fellow iron butter! congrats, its great to hear! i completed the saddle sore 1k a few weeks ago. went from seacoast NH to Niagra falls , NY and back. like you said, it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. i ran into hurricane irene for the last 300 miles, that was the toughest part. and , boy, did it come down. my next quest is the butt burner 1500. i was thinking of headed to northern nova scotia.

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
hey fellow iron butter! congrats, its great to hear! i completed the saddle sore 1k a few weeks ago. went from seacoast NH to Niagra falls , NY and back. like you said, it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. i ran into hurricane irene for the last 300 miles, that was the toughest part. and , boy, did it come down. my next quest is the butt burner 1500. i was thinking of headed to northern nova scotia.
wolfbird

if yer interested in doing a 50cc (my next quest) a cross country venture I'd prefer a riding partner, prolly next year sometime

where do ya live in New Durham ? I live off Ridge Rd, but in Farmington

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Plan on doing about 500 miles this coming Friday. Will see how I do on that before considering a SS. My problem is that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have had trouble staying in the saddle for long hours since coming down with this nasty disease. Guess I will know more by Saturday. I do have a custom seat (a Seat Concepts), a BeadRider on it, will be taking my Alaska Sheep too so I can use it if needed. I have MSR ATV Hi's. I also have highway bars so I can change foot position. Hope to have my RR peg lowering kit on the bike by then too (I already have it, just need to mount it). I think I have the bike set up properly, just have to see if my old body can take it.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
That is quite an achievement. Congratulations.

Since returning to riding after many years in 2003, my longest ride has been.......97 miles, lol. This year my longest ride has been 45 miles. If I can get over the gout in my left wrist I will try to top that 45 miles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was kicking myself for not just taking the heated liner. Learned my lesson. Luckily the low wasn't that bad and I had my sweater + Aerostich suit + tall screen blocking the wind.

Not sure if the question was directed toward me, but I switched between the Aerostich 3 Season Vegan gloves and Cortech Scarab Winter gloves, depending on the weather.

For those thinking about doing it, I say go for it! It wasn't as bad as I imagined it. Sure, I had back pain after a certain point, but it didn't get any worse than any other long ride I have been on. You just have to deal with the aches for a while longer. A lot of it is mental (especially when you expected 78 and sunny and get 60 and rainy.)

I was very lucky to do it with my friend though. We use Scala rider headsets and being able to talk to someone really makes the time go by a lot faster than just riding in silence. I also think it makes rides a lot safer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, now I'm jealous. I wanted to do the SS 1000 this year but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. My longest trip was 600+ miles with the wife to Bouctouche NB.

·
Registered
15,718 Posts
You guys with the back aches may want to consider a kidney belt or some sit-ups. A strong gut helps support the back.
IK's in the rain don't sonud like much fun but your bragging rights go way up! The worse the conditions, the more memorable the ride.
I'm with the other guys who never leave home without the Gerbings.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
My last trip began with temps in the high 90s FOR THE Ohio Labor Day rally and my heated gear was in the top case. After continuing on to Maine to visit Black Lab, the two day trip home was close to 1300 miles with the temps mostly in the high 50s and mostly in the rain. My left glove quit working but the heated grips saved the day. There's a big difference between cold, wet hands and warm, wet hands. My tollway transponder also quit working. Indiana and Ohio had gates at the tollway plazas so the wet gloves had to go off and on to get money. That plus hitting 100F on the way home from Idaho in July put a big dent in my touring enjoyment this year.

Maybe i should have done a rant on/off on this post.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My last trip began with temps in the high 90s FOR THE Ohio Labor Day rally and my heated gear was in the top case. After continuing on to Maine to visit Black Lab, the two day trip home was close to 1300 miles with the temps mostly in the high 50s and mostly in the rain. My left glove quit working but the heated grips saved the day. There's a big difference between cold, wet hands and warm, wet hands. My tollway transponder also quit working. Indiana and Ohio had gates at the tollway plazas so the wet gloves had to go off and on to get money. That plus hitting 100F on the way home from Idaho in July put a big dent in my touring enjoyment this year.

Maybe i should have done a rant on/off on this post.
I hear ya, lol. Seems like every ride we plan, some extreme temps/unforeseen weather rolls around. Our 2200 mile Deals Gap ride a couple years ago that we planned months in advance just happened to land on the record breaking temp week of August.

Our Adirondack trip earlier this year involved wet snow.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts

Congrads on the ride! They usually aren't as tough as one imagines. My first was in the rain like you had and at the time didn't have any good gear. Took a week to dry out. And the LD crowd always has more rides to test your meddle waiting for you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congratulations on your ride - I am hoping to get my first SS1000 in next spring.
As mentioned by a couple of others a kidney belt will really help your back pain. I started using one this year on any trip over 100 miles and it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My saddlesore was on my 00 ZX9r in 600-700 miles of the remnants of a hurricane. The only thing dry on me were my feet (thanks to the GORETEX combat boots) and the top 2 inches of my head everything else was beyond soaked.
Now I have a VEE and my next saddlesore should be a piece of cake. Does anybody think the stock seat is good enough for long rips? I am going through my bike(just bought) and want to ride cross country next year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts