StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think it is pretty reasonable. Similar upgrade (+Intiminators -shock revalve and fork springs) was about $400, with all work by myself.

You will enjoy bike for sure when you get it back together.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it is pretty reasonable. Similar upgrade (+Intiminators -shock revalve and fork springs) was about $400, with all work by myself.

You will enjoy bike for sure when you get it back together.
What are your plans for the rear, or are you happy with it?

I only did front springs(.95) on my '07, mainly to lose the brake dive(which it did), but this is the first bike that I have ever had complete suspension work done on, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm 230lbs, & the washboards in Moab really showed me that this needed to be done. There were times when I wanted to go faster, but could not if I wanted to keep my fillings intact. Headed down the TAT this spring, which should show me that I didn't waste any money on the upgrade.

Oh, and to protect my new seals, I ordered a pair of NOJ fork guards:
http://www.nojgear.com/NOJ_Neoprene_Fork_Guards_p/fgnl01-01.htm

·
Registered
322 Posts
I like the fork guards. Can those be used if you have a fork brace installed? You are going to really like the upgraded suspension!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What are your plans for the rear, or are you happy with it?
I replaced rear shock spring with HyperPro and cannot be happier. According to Klaus spring is a constant rising rate from 8.7 to 11.4 (I think OEM is 9.2). With that when you adjust preload you also adjust spring rate.

This worked extremely well for our situation with loads for solo commute (145lbs+gear, 0 preload) to 2up loaded (about 430lbs total, 6 clicks). I'd say would easily handle at least another 60-70lbs more. I could not believe how well loaded bike handled in twistees hacking through Alleghenies, Catskills and Adirondacks.

Worries about insufficient rebound proved to be false, the only negative I can either adjust correct rate or correct height, but the difference is only 1 click. This may be particularly due to me lowering bike by 2/3". Otherwise it is very much perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoohoo...FedX van pulled up today(I was out in the pasture installing HT fencing). When I got over to the shop I found a box marked "From the best farms to your table"...................damn wife feeding us healthy food...what is she thinking?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Jamie finally got back to me on the delay. He invoiced me expecting my rear spring in with and order he had placed. Order arrived with no spring so he had to re-order. In the mean time he had to go out of town for a week, so I won't see my stuff for at least another week. Meanwhile, this 60ish degree weather has settled in........along with about pretty good wave of anticipation. :sosp:

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
I know he has a good rep, but I won't be using him soley due to the long turn around.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In his defense I told him no hurry on it since the bike was up for the winter. Throw in the holidays, and I can understand the delay....sometimes I swear I am way too patient on this kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It's here....I threw the forks on and immediately started working on raising the fender.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Sure is purty!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just took it for a ride....didn't even set the sag yet. Bike is much more planted, almost zero brake dive, in the twistys it feels like the bike "flicks" quicker on the changeovers. Didn't have time for serious off road....will update when I do. So far.....I LIKE!

Oh and guess what B????/ now I have an ever so slight hands off the bars decel WOBBLE :furious:

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
I just took it for a ride....didn't even set the sag yet. Bike is much more planted, almost zero brake dive, in the twistys it feels like the bike "flicks" quicker on the changeovers. Didn't have time for serious off road....will update when I do. So far.....I LIKE!

Oh and guess what B????/ now I have an ever so slight hands off the bars decel WOBBLE :furious:
Ugh sorry to hear that about the wobble, but glad to hear about new suspension.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Put on center stand, loose axle and lower triple, bounce a couple times then gradually tighten up triple an axle.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ yep, I have read this and will give it a try.......thanks!

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
^ yep, I have read this and will give it a try.......thanks!
Hope that works for you, as I have done that twice now.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John had the front end lowered by about a half inch. I never bothered to change it even for Moab but I did add 3/4" rear raising links from Rick. When I put it back together I put the tubes almost flush with the top clamps. Hell it could be the new big opening under the front fender catching some wind:bom_wacko:

...or a voodoo Queen down in the luzianna swamps put a hex on my bike:mod2_eek:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those of you on the fence about a suspension upgrade....DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

I did Chuck Swan Wildlife area today and managed to find some washboards. Instead of trying to pick the line of least resistance through them, I found myself aiming for the nastiest ones. The bike off road is transformed, no more jarring teeth and worrying about parts rattling off. No more drifting to the outside of the curves while on the 'boards...bike goes where it's aimed. No more little roots and rocks surprising you with a jolt. Now I really can't wait to get back to Moab!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Yup. DO IT. I only put about 300 miles on my new bike since I got it back in December. The previous owner did front and rear upgrade with Rev-Tech front and Elka3 rear and it is like day and night. Completely different bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts