StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Harley Davidson, Indian and Victory motorcycles.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Crocker, Henderson and Excelsior.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
So what bike or bikes is the new DL1000 supposed to be competing with?
Biggest competition might be the new Wee.

I know that now that I've seen the (MSRP) price of the V2, a 2014 Wee2 (white, if you don't mind), purchased in the first few days of 2014, is beginning to sound pretty good to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably be a good competitor for wifey time as well. As for sales, for every one that's sold that's one less BMW, Tenere, KTM, Explorer, XC...etc being bought... I think this bike could gobble up a nice market share of the ADV bikes out there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Probably be a good competitor for wifey time as well. As for sales, for every one that's sold that's one less BMW, Tenere, KTM, Explorer, XC...etc being bought... I think this bike could gobble up a nice market share of the ADV bikes out there.
I would say that the above list is pretty complete, but the "roadie" versions. If someone is looking at the KTM 1190 ADventure R, the Tiger 800 XC version, etc...the new Vee might be a tough sell.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm going to sound like a broken record here but the ONLY other bike the V2 is cometeing with is the KTM 1190 Adventure, which may or may not be fair for the price point. I have done a solo 40 mile demo ride on roads I know on the KTM and it is a fantastic motorcycle and is for my uses pretty much perfect. The reason I say the KTM is the only bike that is in direct competition is that to my knowledge they are the only 2 Vtwin chain drive Adventure bikes 1000cc or better on the market right now. I'm sure for the money the V2 will be a great bike and a big improvement over its predasessor. I know my 03 Vee give me lots of smiles per miles and dollar for dollar the best bike in its class, especially on the used market.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
I'm going to sound like a broken record here but the ONLY other bike the V2 is cometeing with is the KTM 1190 Adventure, which may or may not be fair for the price point. I have done a solo 40 mile demo ride on roads I know on the KTM and it is a fantastic motorcycle and is for my uses pretty much perfect. The reason I say the KTM is the only bike that is in direct competition is that to my knowledge they are the only 2 Vtwin chain drive Adventure bikes 1000cc or better on the market right now. I'm sure for the money the V2 will be a great bike and a big improvement over its predasessor. I know my 03 Vee give me lots of smiles per miles and dollar for dollar the best bike in its class, especially on the used market.
You forgot the Multistrada! :fineprint:

·
Registered
899 Posts
My local multi-brand dealer (sells Honda, Suzuki, KTM and Kawasaki) confessed that the KTM has had some reliability issues. He expects to sell a lot of the new vee at a lower price point.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
I didnt forget the Multi due to the fact that IMHO it is a pure street bike not an Adventure bike

Can't say I agree with that, many would argue the V-Strom is no different nor has it ever been.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Not to mention that the Multistrada would kick the V2's behind and eat its lunch, just not offroad. Apples and oranges.
Really......I don't recall my buddy blowing me away on his new Multi "yes he is one hell of a rider" while following him in the twisty bits, nor was he more comfortable than I was on the slab. By the way.....his clutch went out for no apparent reason recently, and his bike surges terribly with fueling issues, all with less than 5k on it too. I will take my cheap Japanese motorcycle any day over the gourmet bikes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There is something to be said for the cheaper nap bikes. I have never owned anything but. However after my 1190 demo ride the KTM has me thinking. As far as KTM reliability issues, I have not read anything on other forums that would suggest this from the bikes owners. Has there been some small issues with 1190? Yes but none from a reliability aspect that I have read.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
If my bike is breaking down beyond anything other than normal wear and tear and preventative maintenance, then yeah that is an issue. When a KTM can go 300K without any major repair, then I will give one a consideration. :fineprint:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts