StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2015 DL650
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those looking to upgrade to Pro Tapper handle bars and have barkbusters. I tried this over the weekend and ran into compatibility issues. Not saying this can't be done, however it was more work and modification than I was willing to invest.

The bolts and internal hardware to mount the bar ends and barkbusters were just not compatible. The Pro Taper bars were too narrow, by about 3mm in diameter. Even though they were 7/8 Pro Tapers.

Posting this to help fellow strommers that are looking to upgrade. This will take some work and engunitey to complete.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Alloy & steel bars have different inside diameters.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my Tusk T-10 ATV High bars. Based on a thread I found here and on ADVRider, I used the stock bolts & bar ends (length was fine in my case, may not be in yours), and added a length of 1/4" fuel line and a flange nut. Snugged up the flange nut to the edge of the fuel line, inserted into the bars, tightened it up, and feels nice and solid.

·
2015 DL650
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran into the same problem with my Tusk T-10 ATV High bars. Based on a thread I found here and on ADVRider, I used the stock bolts & bar ends (length was fine in my case, may not be in yours), and added a length of 1/4" fuel line and a flange nut. Snugged up the flange nut to the edge of the fuel line, inserted into the bars, tightened it up, and feels nice and solid.
I tried the 1/4 fuel line, however the stock bolts were hitting up against something inside the pro tapers which prevented being able to fully insert the bolt. I was using the SE CR Mid Pro Tapers. Not sure if all Pro Taper are designed the same.

If you can make the fuel line trick work, that is definitely the way to go.

·
2015 DL650
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to order different bar ends and clamps from Revzilla to use my Barkbusters from stock bars to Pro Taper bars. Works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good info to share. I bought the pro tapers and then tried to install them same day. It was a frustrating and disappointing process to have basically reinstall the stock bars twice. There were some bar ends at the local cycle gear, but they looked pretty cheap and light.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
This is good info to share. I bought the pro tapers and then tried to install them same day. It was a frustrating and disappointing process to have basically reinstall the stock bars twice. There were some bar ends at the local cycle gear, but they looked pretty cheap and light.

Yes, it would be nice to know before you start the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
2015 DL650
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran into the same issue a couple times when installing Renthal aluminum bars. The Rawl 8mm shield anchors do the trick for me. Yeah, they come from the UK, but that's never been an issue. Just substitute your 8mm bar end bolt for the supplied hex bolt, wrap in tape, and you're good to go.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/M8-SHIELD-ANCHOR-LOOSE-BOLTS-RAWL-HEX-8MM-BOLTS-MASONRY-BRICK-PACK-OF-6-TFD/152755234145?hash=item2390ebe561Ⓜ️mGNiSzI1MopO62am_ZMIcUg
If/ when I attempt this again, will definitely keep these solutions in mind. Thanks for sharing your solution to the installation

·
2015 DL650
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A big thank you to all that provided your solutions to installing handlebars. With the guidance, I put this project back on my radar. These are the parts I ordered:

ProTaper universal bar clamp. Part no. 022821. This was needed to adapt the 7/8 handle bars to hold the 1 1/8" bar.

Tuck chub 1 1/8" bug bar, cr high bend , part no. 119607003

1/4" 20x4in , nuts

1/2" fuel line

I also had to come back and add the Zeta 7/8" offset bar clamp, since the newer bars had less pull back resulting in the barkbusters hitting the windshield and preventing full lock.

I used the fuel line method suggested here. Worked out great.

I should add that I sanded down the plastic knub on the controls, vs. Drill a hole in the handle bars.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts