StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moto station Web site (from France) just did a comparison road test between the big Versys and the new Vee. They sell for the exact same price in France.

Kawasaki Versys 1000 vs Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom : Deux visions du gros trail, ? l'euro pr?s - Moto Station

Winner by a very small margin (2pts) is the Versys, even if 1 tester out of the 2 prefered the Vee.

The + of the Versys: better wind protection, better seat, more stabe at high speed, sporty and more powerfull engine (hooligan), better fuel economy, better overall finition

The + of the Vee2: more nimble (less weight), better suspensions, better controls, less vibration, easy to ride, nice torquey engine

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Moto station Web site (from France) just did a comparison road test between the big Versys and the new Vee. They sell for the exact same price in France.

Kawasaki Versys 1000 vs Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom : Deux visions du gros trail, ? l'euro pr?s - Moto Station

Winner by a very small margin (2pts) is the Versys, even if 1 tester out of the 2 prefered the Vee.

The + of the Versys: better wind protection, better seat, more stabe at high speed, sporty and more powerfull engine (hooligan), better fuel economy, better overall finition

The + of the Vee2: more nimble (less weight), better suspensions, better controls, less vibration, easy to ride, nice torquey engine
Very informative article when translated by Google Chrome - thanks for posting!

Fer crying out loud what's the sense of posting a dyno chart without giving quarter-mile times? Don't the French people read Car Craft magazine? :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting,but is it not a moot point as the Versys 1000 is not available in the U.S.?
What a selfcentered comment...
I know it's a difficult concept to understand for a lot of americans, but there are other countries in the world beside the usa :headbang:

·
Banned
255 Posts
Good find Thomasttom :thumbup:

All V-Stroms have and will always remain primarily European biased. They have been developed and marketed for the European riders so it stands to reason that it will be compared to what is being offered in that market.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
That 1000 Versys is one hideous and odd looking bike in my eyes, it honestly does nothing for me. If I wanted better wind protection and better stability at higher speeds, I would have stayed with my C14. And I cannot see how the Versys will get better MPG, must be magic?

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I don't think the Versys has ever had as much publicity as it has right now. I searched for a long time to find a used one and there were none around. The Kawi dealer here was selling them one year old and brand new for $9,999. I think that is a hard bike to sell.

The VStrom on the other hand is smoking hot. :)

·
Banned
255 Posts
That 1000 Versys is one hideous and odd looking bike in my eyes, it honestly does nothing for me. If I wanted better wind protection and better stability at higher speeds, I would have stayed with my C14. And I cannot see how the Versys will get better MPG, must be magic?
:yikes:

·
Registered
865 Posts
nah. that's an urban myth....
That would explain a "World Series" with only two countries taking part? :green_lol:

BTW slightly back on topic, I'd only consider the Versys 1000 if it was given to me free, and they paid me to ride it. The adventure market bikes may not be the prettiest ones around, but it takes it to another level, IMO, YMMV etc etc.

·
Banned
255 Posts
I have many opportunities to see the Versys in the showroom and on the roads and I can tell you these things are Tanks.:weapons_80:

Big and Bold with an industrial look that is very tough looking.

Plus with the legendary Kawasai 1000cc Engine they are a beast! There is just something about them that says Hooligan Adventure. :punk:

I also think V-Strom owners calling another bike ugly is a bit..strange:confused:

·
Registered
158 Posts
The + of the Vee2: more nimble (less weight),
more nimble (less rake)

The Versys gets more for stability and less for nimble. Sort of what you would expect by looking at the rake trail comparison as well.

Versys 27 / 107
Suzuki 25 / 109

The versys is set up to be more stable and therefore less nimble.

Pick your poison.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I have many opportunities to see the Versys in the showroom and on the roads and I can tell you these things are Tanks.:weapons_80:

Big and Bold with an industrial look that is very tough looking.

Plus with the legendary Kawasai 1000cc Engine they are a beast! There is just something about them that says Hooligan Adventure. :punk:

I also think V-Strom owners calling another bike ugly is a bit..strange:confused:
OK......the Versys is "uglier". :mrgreen:

·
Registered
163 Posts
The very choice and legitimacy of the V-Strom/Versys comparison embodies the subtle disappointment that haunts me and stifles my enthusiasm about the 2014 V-Strom: If the much ballyhooed term "adventure bike" has anything at all to do with actual off-road suitability, the truth is, neither of these bikes should be considered an "adventure bike." The Kawasaki doesn't pretend to be. The Suzuki has--'till now.

Face it: Among the models popularly characterized as "adventure bikes," the V-Strom is the most pretentious, and always has been. Suzuki knows this as much as anyone, and seems to be downplaying the "adventure" connotation.

Don't get me wrong. I've thoroughly enjoyed both of my V-Strom 1000s. But I've never bought into the (even mild) off-road marketing pretense. I had to buy a DR650 to satisfy my desire for something approaching larger displacement genuine dualpurpose. But it's just a 650, and comes with the road-going limitations of that midsize range.

There's nothing wrong with a bike being what it is. DL1Ks are sit-up-straight road bikes, as is the Versys 1K. They're not off-road bikes. Sure, you can (and many do) abuse a V-Strom. You can argue "No, it's not a full-fledged offroad bike; but it does great on dirt roads!" And I'll counter, big fat hairy deal. Truth be told, you can ride a Harley down a dirt road, too.

To my mind--and evidently to many MC press reviewers--the only brand that demonstrates any seriousness about the whole litre-plus "adventure" thing is KTM. It's not that KTM is "in another league" of the "adventure bike" market; it's the only legitimate member. Expensive? Yes. Too expensive for me? Yes. But I'm not talking about that. I'm just trying to raise the question; is there any substance to whole "adventure" thing? If there is, Yamaha is the only "more affordable" Japanese player that is more substance than pretense.

And that's what disappoints me. The new V-Strom is an improvement in some areas (including styling). And those are needed improvements. There are some things I don't care for (the bulbous single muffler, for example) but overall, it's technically a better bike than the previous generation, as any new generation should be. That's all good.

But while its' price has increased significantly, it hasn't gained anything toward "big adventure bike" legitimacy. So there's just no compelling advantage over my current DL1K. It just shifts my concept of "ideal bike" away from V-Stroms and solidifies my admiration for the 1190 R (despite my being way too practical to spend $20K on something to take off road).

One could easily have two lightly-use DL1Ks for the out-the-door price of a 2014. The difference just isn't compelling. I suspect that when it comes down to money-on-the-table, that's true for many other existing DL1K owners.

That's why I expect the 2014 will sell pretty well to DL650 owners and to first-time V-Strom buyers, but much less to existing DL1K owners. That's kinda sad, but I think they'll be glancing elsewhere, resisting the new-bike bug, and buying elsewhere when it bites. At least that's where I am.

Right now, even a leftover 990A appeals to me more.

JET

·
Registered
59 Posts
JET_V-Strom;1895113 And I'll counter said:
Ya but;

An adventure is an exciting or unusual experience. It may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome.[1] Adventures may be activities with some potential for physical danger such as skydiving, mountain climbing, river rafting or participating in extreme sports. The term also broadly refers to any enterprise that is potentially fraught with physical, financial or psychological risk, such as a business venture, a love affair, or other major life undertakings. (Wiki)

An adventure doesn't have to be a bush road so the label still kinda fits.

Most Harley guys i ride with back away from the dirt roads like it will hurt.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This is my own opinion, you don't have to agree or even suscribe to any of it, it's just my own point of view, I'll now begin :
Lets clear one thing up, and 'adventure' is what you want it to be, period. Not the 'Long Way Down' or anything other that is not within the realms of most working people. You could and I did, ride my VZ1600 through to the southern tip of Spain form the UK, all of 1800 miles in 3 days, that is adventure, not knowing if you end up off a cliff or under the wheels of a half asleep texting trucker. So, go on an adventure, even on a scooter, because not knowing what is going to happen or whether you'll survive IS the adventure. Yes, the longer travel suspension helps suck up some of the potholes that have been neglected since the 2008 financial crash but any bike is capable of said journey. And of course ther is the other aspect, what 'club' to join, BMW, KTM, Goldwing or one of the others, that's all.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Two words: Marketing Labels.

Some guys are going to buy KTM and ride it to Starbucks. And some guys are going to buy a Royal Enfield and ride it around the world. Which is a hero and which is an idiot?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts