StromTrooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 650
41 Posts
FYI... Just got back from a 200 mile trip. The weather was nice enough to keep my iPhone XR on my Ram X-Grip mount. The vibration killed my phone camera image stabilizer and now my phone's camera can't focus and makes a continuous clicking noise. Damirio warned about this in the thread above. I should have listened. It seems like some sort of vibration dampening is necessary for a phone mount.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
It seems like some sort of vibration dampening is necessary for a phone mount.
Or a more robust phone. That's one reason I don't mount my phone on the bike. Another: I want it on my person in case I need to access it if separated from the bike.

I mount a cheap, robust phone (for GPS, music, etc.) on the bike and keep my voice-phone in my pocket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ram is the best. they got a setup for everything, check out their website: the options are insane: The x grip comes in two sizes and depending on what size phone you have and where the buttons are located you may need the larger or smaller one.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I am looking at getting a couple phone mounts for myself and wife. I see that the RAM mounts seem to be popular. I have been doing research and not 100% sold on them. I have looked into the TackForm mounts and they seem great. However they do not seem as popular and that could be for a reason.

Any opinions on either of these mounts? Other suggestions would be welcome as well.

Thanks to anyone who can respond.
I use the Quadlock system with vibration dampener, works great and am not concerned with it at all losing my device. Buddy of mine had the ram mount but it was mounted on a Duc Monster and vibrated his camera to death. Ram mounts are super popular they just never seemed super secure to me. As for the debate on being able to call for help if separated from your bike? I have an Inreach that is always in my pocket as I am frequently out of cell phone range in most areas I ride.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought an older version of this mount 5 yrs ago.
I use a cheapo old android phone for navigation. It has never fallen out, or for that matter, even slipped in the mount.

I keep my real phone in my breast pocket.
You can get one like this for ~ $30 onthe Amazon.

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I just watched a great video comparing the RAM mounts. Looks like the quickgrip is the way to go. :)

Reactions: Damirio

·
Registered
2018 V Strom 650, 2014 BMW C 650 GT, 2006 Honda Silverwing, 2009 BMW F650 FS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the input. There are alot of options you have to look thru. I went with the Tackmount system, and after a couple weeks I have been very pleased with the results with no modding needed for it to work. Phone is secure as hell and seems to be doing great. If this thread continues to get used I will update as time goes by.

Thank you again for all the help.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all the input. There are alot of options you have to look thru. I went with the Tackmount system, and after a couple weeks I have been very pleased with the results with no modding needed for it to work. Phone is secure as hell and seems to be doing great. If this thread continues to get used I will update as time goes by.

Thank you again for all the help.
Your phone, your choice however do some more research and you'll find out most phone manufacturers advise (phones with OIS camera feature only):

Optical Image Stabilization in phones and cameras is a fine mechanical system not constructed to withstand prolonged vibrations. If you attach an OIS device by a hard undampened mount to the bike, the small vibrations, albeit invisible, are transferred to the device and likely will damage the OIS over time.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts