StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 V Strom 650, 2014 BMW C 650 GT, 2006 Honda Silverwing, 2009 BMW F650 FS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a couple phone mounts for myself and wife. I see that the RAM mounts seem to be popular. I have been doing research and not 100% sold on them. I have looked into the TackForm mounts and they seem great. However they do not seem as popular and that could be for a reason.

Any opinions on either of these mounts? Other suggestions would be welcome as well.

Thanks to anyone who can respond.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I love my RAM mount for my Garmin GPS, but I wouldn't want my cell phone on my handlebars. I prefer to keep it in my breast pocket in case my bike and I get separated.

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
Love RAM mounts, most others exist because of RAM.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Phones attached to the bike sometimes fail due to excessive vibration and/or heat in direct sunlight,... so it's much better to keep your phone in a dry top pocket, and that's what I practice, much safer and I get music, gps turn-by-turn instructions and phone calls through my Sena 20S anyway.

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
NEVER had an issue with my iphone mounted on the bike with a RAM kit, and yeah that was off pavement as well.

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
exactly ...kinda hard to see the screen in a pocket and last time I checked a phone and a satellite like to have a view of each other. Kinda hard to "wire your pocket" to keep the phone charged.

Phones in a plastic map pocket overheat but not on a moving bike. If you are really concerned then strap the phone in to the X-mount. unneeded hassle IMNSHO

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'll say it again. If my phone was on my bike when I crashed I could not have reached it.

That said, I love RAM mounts for everything else.

Reactions: Fox

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Ram mount all the way. With an Adventure tech mount. I personally use the GPS mount from Adventure Tech.

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 650
41 Posts
I use a Ram X-grip for my cell phone. I'm not sold either... I would recommend exploring other options for a phone. My phone has never fallen off but, in my opinion, it's hard to put the phone in without the mount feet hitting side buttons. I find that frustrating. It also wiggles (rotates) a bit even with the rubber net attached. Seems like there should be something better. I don't know anything about TackForm but I'm interested. Ram also has a Quick-Grip mount that looks like might work better for a phone but I've never tried it. I'm interested in what others have found work best for a phone. Those suggesting it's best to have your phone on you and not the bike have an excellent point.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Thanks Tippy. That looks way better than the X-mount. I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I went with the GUB Pro-3. Simple, effective, extended claws allow it to grab a phone with a large case. I add a rubber strap to hold phone in place as a precaution on bumpy trips, but that's probably unnecessary. Mount is solid and inexpensive - <$10 from China.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Tackform mount and I love it. I had it in my 96 Honda vt1100 with no windshield and didn't put the rubber thong over the phone, I then did 75 on the highway and my phone didn't move. I now have it on my Wee-strom and it's still works like new. The ram mounts are awesome for the versatility but if you are looking for just a phone mount the Tackform works great.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've got the RAM X-Grip and it works great. Initially I used that extra rubber "net" that you get with it, but I usually don't bother anymore. It's secure enough.

You've got to take care with the phone buttons though - if you center the phone (in my case an iPhone XR) in the X-Grip, the side buttons are underneath one of the arms and get activated. It's something you need to figure out once, and then you just know that you need to put the phone in a bit higher.

If the X-Grip arms are not fully contracted or fully extended, the arms assembly can rotate a bit. It's a function of the internal design. It doesn't cause an issue: the spring tension is the same regardless of the actual position. But it can be a bit annoying, looking at your phone at a slight angle.

I deliberately positioned the X-Grip and the mounting tube so that the mounting tube goes through two 90-degree bends. In combination with the rubber balls, I hope this gives enough insulation from vibrations. My phone has already been back in the shop for a failing autofocus: It appears the auto-stabilizing feature of modern phones is very sensitive to vibrations. For that reason I'd recommend you also take a look at Quadlock, with the vibration damper. This could well be my next mount. Motorcycle - Vibration Dampener

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to use a ram x-grip but switched a year go to quad lock with the power adapter. Very happy with it and very secure, quick on and off. Only downside is they aren’t cheap

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been using the same RAM mount for the last seven years; first on my DR then on the 'Strom. On the DR, I crashed off-road numerous times (because I have more will than skill) and the phone never popped out of the mount. I am 100% confident that my phone will not come out of the mount until I take it out.

I would suggest popping off each of the rubber caps and super-gluing them on. I did that and haven't had any issues at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've also put a small patch of velcro on the mount and phone with the soft side on the phone. My phone doesn't go ANYWHERE.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

1 - 20 of 28 Posts