StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a compact/travel fishing pole kit that they would recommend? I'm looking for something that I can toss in a GIVI box with a small tackle box.

I found a few kits on Cabella's and BassPro, but can't decide which one is the best. I'm willing to drop some $$$ if its a really nice set up.

I usually fish for strippers and trout so it doesn't need to be super heavy duty, but durable..

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
961 Posts
Cabellas is good but check prices first, a fishing pole is a piece of bamboo with a string tied to the end, what you want is a fishing rod.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought a couple of Shakespeare takedowns for about $25 each. They came with open-face spinning reels and the five-piece rods are about 4 1/2 feet long when assembled. I've landed one rainbow trout that weighed nearly five pounds and thought the rod would break at any moment. Better to have tackle a bit heavier than mine if you plan on fishing in waters where you reside.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Stripers must be pretty small in your neck of the woods:D These are nice tho:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAIWA-MINI-ULTRALIGHT-TRAVEL-TACKLE-MC40-MINICAST-SYSTE_W0QQitemZ180197231217QQihZ008QQcategoryZ87095QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Stripers where I was raised could easily hit 30 pounds:mrgreen:
No old one:) He said STRIPPERS!!! Nothing to do with trout fishing at all.

Been wrestling with the same dilema and although i don't have an answer, i think i've a direction to go in. All the kits seem like they have cheap components so i was thinking about picking up the diawa takedown rod as any rod will do ok. The reel however is where i like some quality so i've been thinking about one of the little shimano's. They run in the 50-100 range and have the fastcast feature which i can no longer do without. They last a long time and feel very solid in action. I'll pickup an aftermarket rod case and call it done. Hope this helps...J.R.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
rods

i recomend a telescopic rod , i have had one for years , about 15 bucks. once while hikeing on the north end of vancouver island i caught a big ling cod from a rod that is only 14 inches long when packed

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is the first year I'm fishing this area and the first year my bike will be the main way I get to the spots. I was just planning on strapping my old split-in-half medium action pole to the bike and going.

Reactions: Macdoc

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Another Idea

I do have the unit that is shown on Ebay. I got it as a Xmas gift. The only problem I have with the unit is that it is very hard to cast a bait, be live or artificial.

So I've been considering putting a tube on my Wee in place of that second muffler that isn't there. This would hold a rod easily. The reel I could put in my tank bag. Using the accessory tube would allow for a larger selection of rod and reel to take along.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Bet you could strap this to the Strom.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Roco Pocket Fisherman was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title of this thread. Looks like MalWart still carries them.

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Registered
173 Posts
Eagle Claw has a couple of pretty nice travel rods for reasonable price. I have 2 of them, and one can be used as spin or fly rod. Pretty nice rods with travel cases.

I have a smaller Shakespeare 5 piece spincast rod, but it comes apart during use sometimes.

However, for size and simplicity, I wish that I had a telesopic rod for bike fishing. You can leave the reel and line strung, so quick to pull out and get to fishing. The multi-piece rods take a few minutes to get ready.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shouldnt be hard to fab up a protective tube out of plastic pipe a and lash or otherwise attach it to bike---heck I attach a golf hard bag to carry a shot gun case on mine from time to time

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
Shouldnt be hard to fab up a protective tube out of plastic pipe a and lash or otherwise attach it to bike---heck I attach a golf hard bag to carry a shot gun case on mine from time to time
shouldn't be hard to purchase a rod tube, most high end rods come in a tube to begin with

1 - 17 of 17 Posts